Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Plain Grid Terrain?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mr. Average
    Participant

If I wanted to represent just a plain grid on a dark or perhaps black surface, what would be the best way to do that? Tape on board? Painted grid on board? Grid on fabric? Prefab hexes with highlighted edges?

My inclination is dark fabric with a grid since you can lay hills and such under it and have it deform, but it being naturally flexible I wonder how much of a chore I’d be setting myself up for. Any thoughts?

The goal, by the way, is hyper-abstract terrain in a Tron-like vein, that would luminesce under blacklight in a white or neutral green color. I’m resurrecting some old and badly-painted figures and wondered if a super-techy terrain set, along with black figures highlighted in luminous team colors (red vs. blue) might make for an interesting game aspect, especially with Horizon Wars having a sufficiently conforming rule set to accept it. But before diving in too deep I’m curious about feasibility. Anyone care to throw in a thought or two, even if it’s just “Give up, you’re nuts?”

Paul
    Participant

Do you mean something like this?

If the grid does not need to be a special size, what about a plastic mesh (painted an appropriate lumo colour) sandwiched between a black painted ply and some clear perspex?

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Fredd Bloggs
    Participant

Remember if you grid and lay over, it may deform the Grid.

Perhaps dots (use a chinagraph or chalk on a dark colour) or if a soft surface like polystyrene perhaps pins, it may well depend what you need the grid for.

Norm S
    Participant

Craft shops sell double sided tape and I have seen this as narrow as 5mm. one side is sticky and the other side has a plastic coating that if removed is also sticky. However, you could lay the tape in a grid without removing the plastic backing and instead use something like a neon highlighter on the plastic to get the effects tha you want.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Yes, exactly like that! And Perspex or polycarbonate is not a half bad idea, Paul!

Perhaps back-stenciled and then blacked out. Would lose the flexibility but it would have a kind of hard-edged, glossy look that might play well. Instead of hills, some broken plateaus… Hm.

Fredd Bloggs
    Participant

There is a substance called alupanel used by signwriters and the like, it comes in many colours, but my most used is matt black on one side and gloss back on the other. If you use a good scribing tool you can get a nice silver line through the surface,

You may be able to grab offcuts etc and do a matix pr grid with this.

Mr. Average
    Participant

As a matter of fact, I found a source for black and white grid print fabric that will serve the purpose. The thought then would be that, with hills underneath. And I’d paint all the terrain plain flat white, to make it a kind of monochrome “techno” battlefield.

It’s one of those ideas that seems interesting in daylight, but by the end of the day I’ve given up on it. Will I do it? Probably not. But it’s interesting to think that it COULD be done, just the same.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.