Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Plancenoit 1815. 28mm, Shako II

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My first game of 2020 was a Saturday game at New Buckenham, the fight for Plancenoit in June 1815. The game was played with 28mm figures using the Shako II ruleset.

I was given command of half of the 15th and 13th brigades on the Prussian right flank. The 15th led with the 13th in support.

Altogether we had eighteen battalions of infantry and one regiment of cavalry. Opposing us we had one weakish french infantry division and two cavalry divisions. Our objective was to capture the crossroads to our front and if possible stop French reinforcements from being able to concentrate on Plancenoit itself.

The other two Prussian commanders on the left were tasked with assaulting Plancenoit and the nearer of two fortified farmhouses.

On our flank we decided to advance as fast as possible in column to take the crossroads and hope our one regiment of cavalry could secure our flank against the greater number of french horsemen.
    My lead units suffered heavily from the french artillery defending the crossroads and a couple were lost before I was able to assault and overrun the guns. Our battalions on the right flank were more concerned with the growing cavalry threat.

Meanwhile over on the left the fighting around Plancenoit and the forward farm was bloody.
    The centre of Plancenoit changed hands a few times while the forward farm remained steadfastly in french hands.

Remarkably our infantry on the right managed to hold off the french cavalry despite taking heavy casualties and losing some battalions.

The battle however was to be decided on the left with the arrival of elements of the French Young Guard and Imperial Guard chasseurs and grenadiers who stormed into Plancenoit and ejected the stout Prussian defenders for the final time.

At this point we decided to call the game with Plancenoit still in French hands and no obvious way for the Prussians to make any more gains.

More on this game at my Blog Jabba’s Wargaming

Tony.

Participant

Hugely enjoyed this post, thanks

Keymaster

Holy Carp

Participant

That is how to do Napoleonics. It looks amazing!

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/stormofsteelwargaming

Blog: http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

Participant

Lovely game! Thanks for sharing.

The attack on Placenoit is one of those part-of-a-battle fights which makes a great wargame.

Participant

Wow! You certainly started the year off well! Sounded like a tremendously exciting game – it certainly looks like it was!

It’s always nerve wracking, for me at least, advancing infantry with little cavalry support against mounted with artillery support. But that’s the fun of Napoleonics line, square and column. Seems like your battalions did better than mine would have.

Participant

Pretty much the historic result. But then the first of Pirch’s brigades went in and took the town again. Looks great.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Participant

Hugely enjoyed this post, thanks

Thanks.

Participant

Holy Carp

Thanks I think? 🙂

Participant

That is how to do Napoleonics. It looks amazing!

Thank you, although I cannot claim responsibility for any figures this time.

Participant

Lovely game! Thanks for sharing. The attack on Placenoit is one of those part-of-a-battle fights which makes a great wargame.

Cheers.

Participant

Wow! You certainly started the year off well! Sounded like a tremendously exciting game – it certainly looks like it was! It’s always nerve wracking, for me at least, advancing infantry with little cavalry support against mounted with artillery support. But that’s the fun of Napoleonics line, square and column. Seems like your battalions did better than mine would have.

We just about held in there on the right. A few sacrificial battalions to soak up hits allows the supports to get in relatively unscathed.

Participant

Pretty much the historic result. But then the first of Pirch’s brigades went in and took the town again. Looks great.

Thank you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.