Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Plancenoit 1815 – boardgame

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Norm S
    Participant

Described as an introductory game, this title from White Dog Games gives specific focus to the Prussian advance towards Wellington’s position.

I have done a short replay and observational notes on the blog.

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2022/01/plancenoit-1815.html

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Enjoyable and informative report  there Norm. Good looking game.

The focus on the Prussian arrival is a welcome shift from the standard approach as you say.

I was sufficiently intrigued to find a copy online – even though I’m supposed to be rationalising  not expanding! The small physical size and the ‘introductory’ tag seduced me.

However when I found it I must say the £52 price tag made me check and I may need to think about this ‘impulse’ purchase. I suppose it is age and expectation but I was expecting around £30 price for an introductory small game.  Probably entirely unrealistic on reflection!

I shall have to find the combination to the ancestral sporran and consider this wisely.

[The turn ending throw of a ‘1’ is one of those things that depending on which side of the bed I woke up on I can embrace as a useful device for introducing friction, or argue against vehemently as an arbitrary and unrepresentative interference in tactical planning. Yes, stuff happens but not sudden disappearance of time. I know what it represents and as I say I am happy to rationalise it and its effects much (most?) of the time but there remains this niggle that good planning to allow for real battlefield friction has no reward in mechanisms such as this.]

willz
    Participant

A good and informative read Norm, I am with Guy £50+ for an introductory game is a bit pricey for my tastes.

Norm S
    Participant

Thanks Guy / Bill, A problem for this company is that they go by the print on demand method of production, so small volume, high price is the result and also the components dip slightly when compared to some of the main players that are printing in volume. On top of that, in the UK we are paying the associated customs and shipping charges for a US import.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Oh I agree. It was more a sudden realisation that my own wargames price index needs recalibrating more than anything else.

deephorse
    Participant

Thanks for the topic Norm, it was an interesting read.  I dropped my interest in Napoleonic wargaming about 15 years ago, but prior to that I played and read about the period constantly.  Were cavalry in the open ever attacked by infantry?  Surely they could avoid combat if they felt that the situation was unfavourable?  And did artillery ever deploy and operate inside woods?  No doubt someone will provide examples of both, and I will welcome that.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Norm S
    Participant

I think this is why the game would benefit from designer notes. Some of what is happening under the bonnet, I understand and some other things not so much. Movement penalties in woods increase for artillery and I suppose it depends what kind of density of woodland is being represented here, but it would be nice to know.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.