Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Playable interiors

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Sooooo… among the many things I am working on are 15mm and 6mm buildings. Not like the current fodder on the market, but more aimed at urban centers and industrial areas but with sci-fi flair. I think laser cut buildings are great and fantastically easy to assemble, but to me (whose day job is Architecture) they lack a lot of soul and I need more articulation and ergonomic shapes. So I’m working on some, for myself if no one else wants them.

But, building an urban center to fight through, like for a game of DS2 or Laser Storm or Slammers is all well and good, but I also like to skirmish in 6mm. Few of us are this crazy, but when you skirmish you need to get inside of a building on occasion. I fully believe that for gaming purposes there is a difference in scale for indoors and outdoors. So I’ll be making some interior floor plans for the buildings, and they will be roughly twice the size of the resin buildings themselves so they can be skirmished within.

Now, this has brought me to a crazy thought: I am making a couple of 15mm spaceships with playable interiors, but should I do the same for 6mm or is that just too far out? Though they would be for my own personal use, could there be a market?
    Thoughts?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Mike
    Keymaster

You will find in these hallowed pages, both 6mm spaceships and 6mm spaceship interiors and building/complex interiors all lovingly done in 6mm

Ali Dogan Sayiner
    Participant

I did this

SPIKE

contact me via : [email protected]
    http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/

Rhoderic
    Participant

Would the spaceships also be made as both exteriors and interiors, with the interiors larger than the exteriors?

Would the interiors be Space Hulk-type things that are essentially only floors and doors, or would the bulkheads also be fully modelled?

The trouble with having very specific preferences in this hobby is that other people’s very specific preferences usually don’t match one’s own. For instance, I personally would only ever use interiors that correspond in size to the exteriors. For better or worse, my mentality is too WYSIWYG for anything else.

Stroezie
    Participant

Having made a number of interiors for both scifi and fantasy I have to say that I for one have no problem with the interiors being larger.

The problem is mainly one of figure bases, as soon as you put a figure on a base, corridors need to be wider, you need more space between furniture etc.

The problem is if you just make your houses bigger your city scape becomes rediculously big.

My solotion so far has been to keep building interiors off table, once you enter a building, the figures move to a seperate interior board so it doesn’t matter if those seperate boards are bigger.

All this to say: Yeah, I’d be interested. 😉

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I did this

That’s pretty spiffy!

My solotion so far has been to keep building interiors off table, once you enter a building, the figures move to a seperate interior board so it doesn’t matter if those seperate boards are bigger.

Exactly what I do, and for the same reasons.

Would the spaceships also be made as both exteriors and interiors, with the interiors larger than the exteriors?

No, sort of like what Ali has done, though as full models with removable tops.  I have some for 15mm Traveller, and it is indeed tough to move based figures around.  I’ve been toying with the idea of cutting the cast bases off completely and gluing the figures onto some thin magnetic business card and having the floor of the ships interior be thin sheet metal.  This way figures can be placed anywhere, even up against furniture, without having to worry about the base width being an issue.

…of course this means rebasing just about EVERY mini I have, as well as wondering if they won’t fall over when outside of the ship… Blah.

Tis truly a flight of fancy.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Stroezie
    Participant

of course this means rebasing just about EVERY mini I have, as well as wondering if they won’t fall over when outside of the ship… Blah. Tis truly a flight of fancy.

Nah! You just need to repaint all of your other terrain with magnetic paint

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.