Home Forums General General Please don’t judge me…..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    ian pillay
    Participant

Dear Fellow TWW gang,

I have a confession, please don’t judge me. I have started collecting 40k miniatures again…… really enjoying the new stuff they are making don’t care much for the rules but I have one page rules to fill that gap.

GW have made it possible again to  rekindle my passion for gaming and it has also given me and my boys something to enjoy together as a family activity.

There I have said it. Massive weight lifted from my shoulders.

Ian

Tally-Ho!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Never apologize for anything that happens in the kitchen, if you follow me. The GW universe is a really compelling one and the hobby is a ton of fun!

Mike
    Keymaster

That is an excellent result!!

Thomaston
    Participant

Hey, me too! During the weekend I’ve been buying used stuff from e-bay for a conversion project. Not really planning to play any games but I have a soft spot for Tau and Kroot miniatures.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thorsten Frank
    Participant

I would never judge anyone for thingshe does for himself. Especially if it´ s positive for the family.
    Ok, I´ ve got to confess something too.
    I always hated GW stuff.
    Having said that: I´ ve spent 1.99 for the WH40k Conquest Issue one.
    I simply couldn´ t resist (5 Incessor SM and 3 Citadel colours – I couldn´ t say no…..)

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

willz
    Participant

I have a shed load of original Rogue Trader 40k painted figures for sale.

Mike
    Keymaster

I am Kroot!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Rhoderic
    Participant

I’m doing the same (dipping my toe in the GW scene that is, not judging anyone). I suspect my “time away” from GW isn’t quite as long as that of many other people in our indie-oriented corner of the hobby scene (it’s “only” been about 15 years for me), but whatevs.

I really like the new Necromunda stuff. 40K Kill Team has caught my eye, too. And I even dig the style of the new Warcry range for the Age of Sigmar setting. So I may get into all three. For skirmish gangs / kill teams / warbands, the GW stuff is affordable enough, and I’d like to see what the new plastics are like given the good things I’ve been hearing about their general design philosophy. I won’t be collecting bigger-than-skirmish forces in 28-32mm scale, though. I’ll get my massed-battle fix through my 15mm, 6-8mm and 3mm projects that emulate the 40K feel using third-party manufacturers like Vanguard and Alternative Armies.

I don’t care much about the rules, either. Or, for that matter, whatever GW tries to insist is official 40K canon nowadays. I’ll just do my own thing, with a setting that, at its core, has always been fun and interesting to me.

I’ve actually been hearing quite a few people saying that GW has turned a corner in the last couple of years. I still take that with a pinch of salt, as there are definitely some aspects of contemporary GW that I detest. But it’s good to feel the positivity of other hobbyists. I also feel inspired by all the grassroots creativity that’s still going on in the 40K and Warhammer scenes. The sheer mass of inspirational projects in some of the FB groups is a major catalyst for me, so much so that I tolerate being an FB user for the sake of it.

EDIT: Edited to better communicate my ambivalent opinion of GW. I’ll never be a true GW fanboy again. I see myself more as an opportunistic looter when it comes to 40K and Warhammer these days.

ian pillay
    Participant

😂😂😂 That’s Brilliant!

Tally-Ho!

ian pillay
    Participant

Thanks for the positivity guys.

Tally-Ho!

Blackhat
    Participant

The funny thing is that I quite like some of the models thay have made but have no interest in the 40K the background fluff.  I did a couple of writing samples for Black Library and found I really couldn’t get my head around the constant depressiveness of the universe.

Black Hat Miniatures -
    http://www.www.blackhat.co.uk/

Russell Phillips
    Participant

No judgement here. I used to play Warhammer 40K back in the day (late 80s/early 90s, I think the rules were 2nd edition Rogue Trader). Got rid of those many years ago.

I’ve picked up a few of their figures from magazine covers recently, but I have no interest their rules. What one-page rules are you using?

Military history author

Sane Max
    Participant

Oddly, I really dislike their recent releases, I was always a fan of the quality of their figures, but the new stuff always seems to be ‘fiddly stuff for the sake of it’ and I don;t like the way they look on the table.

For me, 40k was a terrible game redeemed by lovely figures.

I still own plenty of the old stuff though 🙂

Well I’M getting back into Epic using Vanguard’s 3mm line, so I am much more indie-than-thou.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

ian pillay
    Participant

The one page rules are Grim Dark Future.

Tally-Ho!

Frank Ryan
    Participant

… and, sad to relate (no, not really, I’m having fun!), I have the Galifrayan offerings from Dr Who Miniatures (Time Lords, Generals and Infantry squads) and am using selected 40k Gene Stealer cultists as scientists and soldiers. Thy are supported by 40k Ridge Runner vehicles and various sci-fi plastic aerospace craft. Pass me another skytrench please…..

Have a great day, Foxtrot

Coyotepunc
    Participant

I’ve been dabbling with the new rules for about 2 1/2 years now. It’s always easycti find an opponent! And the new models are a special kind of beautiful. I’m not a big fan of either the game rules or the IP anymore, but it lets me cut loose a little and paint or play something different.

Please visit my OSR products for sale at
    www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Russell Phillips
    Participant

The one page rules are Grim Dark Future.

Thanks. I discovered those recently, when I was looking for suitable rules for the sci-fi figures that I have. Good to hear they’re working for you.

Military history author

ian pillay
    Participant

Hi Russell, they are nice and easy to get into. There are some good video run throughs on you tube. Which got me trying them out. They have also just published a one page version of crossfire called covering fire. I am impressed how they have simplified a very simple game to start with. Although some concepts are not easy to get your head around until a few games.

Tally-Ho!

hammurabi70
    Participant

Grim Dark Future

How do they compare to ALIEN SQUAD LEADER?

ian pillay
    Participant

If I recall correctly, alien squad leader is element based and similar to warmaster/ dba.

Grim Dark is a single figure / squad based game that you roll against a quality stat for working out success or not. I think there is a free demo version of ASL but I can’t find the link at the moment.

Tally-Ho!

Russell Phillips
    Participant

I’ll have to look those videos up. Covering Fire sounds interesting, too, though I’ve never played Crossfire.

Military history author

Devon Start
    Participant

i dont like the scale creep and the bigger models in general, but i have never had an issue with the setting or GW in general.  I also have a shed load of original rogue trader stuff to paint! i also have copies of the original rule book. In fact my dad(an veteran wargamer in his own right) said half way through the one game we played last years “with all this paper work.. this is a kids game?”

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.