Home Forums General General PMing forum members

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Baz Baziah
    Participant

Is there a way to PM other members on this board?

Jim

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mike. Reason: moved to General forum
    Mike
    Keymaster

Yep. Go to the front page where the menu is and select messaging from the Sponsors Menu.

Baz Baziah
    Participant

Cheers,

So I have to basically pay to use a system that is free on every other message board/forum I have ever used?

Guess I won’t be PMing folk from here then any time soon.

Jim

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Baz Baziah.
    Mike Headden
    Participant

Seems to me it’s the same model as is used in most of the MMO’s I play, Jim.

If all you want are the basics, it’s free. Bells and whistles are extra.

Not like sponsor membership is break the bank expensive.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Rhoderic
    Participant

Cheers, So I have to basically pay to use a system that is free on every other message board/forum I have ever used? Guess I won’t be PMing folk from here then any time soon. Jim

I’m sure Mike isn’t charging £1 a month out of greed or the sheer devilment of it. The website you’re using for free is costing him money and time to run.

Many other forums have free PM services, yes, but there’s still always someone picking up the tab for the fact that the forum exists for you to use gratis in the first place. I suspect many of those someones don’t get the credit they’re due from their forums’ users.

That’s not to say you’re obliged to like TWW’s PM setup to be a TWW member – at least I don’t think so. But it’s only fair that vocally complaining about it be an open invitation for justified counterarguments, especially in regard to where the money that pays for the website is coming from.

Grimheart
    Participant

Wot whoderick said…….

Not every thing in life is free.

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Mike
    Keymaster

I guess one of the things that makes TWW different from a great deal of independent forums is that it is a business.
    Sites like LAF, WD3, FU:UK, etc and so on are, to the best of my knowledge, not a tax paying business that generates income for its owner.
    So if those forums disappeared the owners/runners would not suddenly be unable to meet their bills for the month.

So with TWW being a business it needs to sell product, and those products are membership subscriptions.
    A bit like an online newspaper maybe?
    The ones where you can read some of the articles for free, but to get access to the whole article/site you need to pay.

I think another thing to note is that any scale/genre is allowed here as it is independent, TWW is not a vehicle for promoting a specific product/range.
    If you look at a lot of other forums, such as the Baccus, Pendraken, Warlord etc, they all have forums with free PMs, but they restrict what you can talk about.
    They are set up to promote their own company and their own range of figures, which is of course fine.
    So whilst you get free PM’s you don’t get the same freedom to post, or the other resources such as event calendar, club directory, manufacturer directory and so on.

So there is a balance between what can be free and what I can charge for.

Baz Baziah
    Participant

Thanks for clearing that up.

I’m was not trying to start a flame war but just voicing my suprise that something that has always been a staple basic of all such boards etc. is not so here. I guess you are like a Ryan Air of the forums world and as such I have two choices either do without it or pay for the extras.

I guess I’m just not willing to pay a fee each month for a service I may or may not use for months at a time.

Jim

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Thanks for clearing that up. I’m was not trying to start a flame war but just voicing my suprise that something that has always been a staple basic of all such boards *etc. is not so here. I guess you are like a Ryan Air of the forums world and as such I have two choices either do without it or pay for the extras. I guess I’m just not willing to pay a fee each month for a service I may or may not use for months at a time. Jim

I know at least 2 other sites where there is no free PM – one site you have to pay if you want to PM someone (it’s still going – no clues, – but no supporting membership no PM!) – the other doesn’t have any system – you have to put up your email up in  normal post in coded form on the forum to avoid spam and cross your fingers the person aimed at bothers to respond via email.

*So nice hyperbole, but not strictly accurate.

(And TWW is more Emirates Executive than Ryan Air)

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I see a subscription here as more of a way of saying ‘thank you’ for a site I love visiting and doing a little to help ensure it continues.  I’d imagine most subscribers feel the same way, the extra benefits like PMs are just a nice side effect of subscribing, not the reason to do it.

There’s maybe a question whether PMs for everyone would generate more ‘goodwill’ subscribers than you’d lose in ‘getting the perks’ subscribers.  I don’t PM much, but I suppose there is an annoyance factor for subscribers who want to talk to a non subscriber in PM to consider too, I presume they can’t.  I’d be happy for PMs to be open to everyone, I would continue to subscribe, maybe it’s something to consider if other subscribers feel the same way?

I have used the PM system once in around two years – I subscribe simply to support the site.

Baz Baziah
    Participant

Thanks for clearing that up. I’m was not trying to start a flame war but just voicing my suprise that something that has always been a staple basic of all such boards *etc. is not so here. I guess you are like a Ryan Air of the forums world and as such I have two choices either do without it or pay for the extras. I guess I’m just not willing to pay a fee each month for a service I may or may not use for months at a time. Jim

I know at least 2 other sites where there is no free PM – one site you have to pay if you want to PM someone (it’s still going – no clues, – but no supporting membership no PM!) – the other doesn’t have any system – you have to put up your email up in normal post in coded form on the forum to avoid spam and cross your fingers the person aimed at bothers to respond via email. *So nice hyperbole, but not strictly accurate. (And TWW is more Emirates Executive than Ryan Air)

I guess it was my fault for not adding “…I have been a member of.” (Prior to your annotated asterisk)?

I assume you have personal experience of both airlines to be able to back up your “hyperbole”?

Jim

Mike
    Keymaster

Right so question answered job done everyone.
    Thanks all.

Mike
    Keymaster

I am locking this as some comments have become unpleasant, even if later deleted.
    TWW is a place where people are to be welcomed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘PMing forum members’ is closed to new replies.