Home Forums General General Polishing cold cast metal?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Mark Pearce
    Participant

Hi,

I’m busy polishing hundreds of little counters for a friends idea of a board game,, they’re in cold cast brass, I’ve three grades of wire wool, and they come up a treat…with enough elbow grease. Just wondering if there’s any better ways of doing this, before my arm drops off.

I tried using the dremel as I found someone on the net suggesting that, and it seemed ideal, but I either get no result, or a chewed up finish, both without any shine!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated 🙂

Mike
    Keymaster

What attachment are you using on the drill?

Mark Pearce
    Participant

I’ve tried the ones very similar to these that came with my dremel, the nylon seems too soft, the silver seems to do nothing and the gold leaves traces of gold, which I thought showed it was working, until I realised it did the same on cold cast iron, it’s just residue from the brush itself. Thanks for replying 🙂

Geof Downton
    Participant

You may have some success with rubber abrasive points, which are used for polishing jewellery. They are available in assorted shapes hardness and grits, so I can’t be more specific. They are available from jewellers’ suppliers.

…and eBay: search for “rubber polishing points”

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

John D Salt
    Participant

I only used it for polishing up the brass on my 38 webbing when I was a navy cadet 40+ years ago, but, assuming they still make it, is there any reason not to use Dura-Glit?

All the best,

John.

Mike
    Keymaster

I was going to suggest polishing points too.

willz
    Participant

I only used it for polishing up the brass on my 38 webbing when I was a navy cadet 40+ years ago, but, assuming they still make it, is there any reason not to use Dura-Glit? All the best, John.

Been there done that John, that’s what I would use.

John D Salt
    Participant

I only used it for polishing up the brass on my 38 webbing when I was a navy cadet 40+ years ago, but, assuming they still make it, is there any reason not to use Dura-Glit? All the best, John.

Been there done that John, that’s what I would use.

A little googlage reveals that it still exists, although Duraglit (one word, it seems) is now a mere subtitle to the name Brasso. I’m sure Brasso and Duraglit used to be different things — Duraglit a wadding and Brasso a liquid, I thought — but not any more. Brasso certainly goes back a long way, as in the song chorus:

“Shine up your buttons with Brasso,
    It’s only three-ha’pence a tin;
    You can buy it or nick it from Woolworth’s,
    But I doubt if they’ve got any in.”

All the best,

John.

Etranger
    Participant

I suspect Brasso had a contract with the Romans…

(actually sometime between 1905 & 1920, & allegedly another Australian invention … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brasso)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Etranger.
    John D Salt
    Participant

I suspect Brasso had a contract with the Romans…

Ah, that explains the name. Brasso, brassas, brassat, brassamus, brassatis, brassunt.

I’m guessing the principal parts would be brasso, brassare, brassavi, brassatum.

Omnium optimi,

John.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

wouldn’t the third person plural present indicative be ‘brassant’ vice ‘brassunt’?

Then again maybe not.

Mike
    Keymaster

People called Romanes, they go, the house?

John D Salt
    Participant

wouldn’t the third person plural present indicative be ‘brassant’ vice ‘brassunt’?

Yes, quite right. Errant conjugation on my part.

All the best,

John.

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Never mind, all boys do it.

Best wishes

Guy.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.