Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Polyversal generic rule set

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tim Snoddy
    Participant

Anybody else interested in or playing Polyversal the newly released to kickstarter backers, generic sci fi rules.  They allow you to use any figures like GW Epic ones for instance.  Only played a couple of games but my impression is generally positive.

Thuseld
    Participant

Hang on, I thought the Kickstarter for that failed ages ago?

greg954
    Participant

I think it’s still on but seems to be a few years behind schedule.

Mike
    Keymaster

Wasn’t it pulled the 1st time as the target was very high for producing a rules set?

The figures being already available and quite possibly already owned by many of the target backers?

I thought they relaunched with a lower target that better reflected not needing to produce any models?

Plus I felt their USP was not that U?

Mr. Average
    Participant

This has been “coming soon” since 2014. Some of their miniatures producers have gone out of business in the meantime. Others are withholding models in advance of this “coming release.” It strikes me as whatever the tabletop equivalent of “vaporware” is.

greg954
    Participant

This has been “coming soon” since 2014. Some of their miniatures producers have gone out of business in the meantime.

I’m aware of at least four miniatures producers that are/were part of it. Dark Realm seemed to of dropped off the market place and Plasmablast shut up shop for ages but have reopened recently. The DZC minis don’t seem to be in production anymore. Which is now owned by TT Combat now I think. Brigade I think were producing minis for this as well, who seem unaffected.

I agree with Mike. There seemed to be a lot of money and work involved for an over saturated market place.

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

it is out.  First Kickstarter failed, second one succeeded. Goods are in their way to backers and pre orders.  You can use any figs.  6-15mm.  Very innovative system, liking it a lot so far

Mike
    Keymaster

You can use any figs.  6-15mm

This is the USP I was referring to.
    You can do that with any game though?

What is to stop anyone playing Epic with WW2 models, or a modern skirmish game with 40k models, or a starship fighter game with galleons?
    It is this that made no sense to me.
    Can you enlighten me, as I genuinely don’t see this as unique or special and wonder what I am missing.

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

Being generic is not the USP of this rule set, although I think it does it in a pretty unique way.  It does have other USP. I will reveal all when back at keyboard tonight.

Mike
    Keymaster

Cool. Cheers dude.

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

First off a big caveat.  I have only played one game, I like what I see but it usually takes me a few games to see the flaws in the system.

I prefer generic games to proprietary ones.  Since I got interested in sci fi I have changed rules four times but I kept the same model collection.  If I was playing 40K where I need exact models or Star Wars Legion where I need unit cards I would have had to buy new figures every time I changed rules.  Yes you could use anything to represent anything but it would not look right.  Polyversal lets you stat up models with a vast number of options.  So you should be able to get a model to behave in game as you imagine it would in the fictional lore.  There is an online unit builder which is a doddle.  It produces hex shaped tiles which you use in game for stat reference and to house any counters applying to the unit.  I produced my first tile in minutes.

Why am I liking it so far?

The combat system uses 3 dice from D4 through to D12.  To hit you add all three together.  One dice represents effectiveness (morale and training), the second the targeting system of the firing unit and the third the damage effect of the weapon depending on the target.  When you hit you retain the scores.  One or more dice give you the total damage value which you then reference to a damage track.  The maths behind it is fiendishly complex, but it all happens under the hood.  Players only need to be able to add 3 dice. Unless you have three high dice you are unlikely to knock out an enemy vehicle with average weapons but you have a reasonable chance of causing stress (suppression). I really like the rules on stress. You needn’t worry about that mega super unit being invulnerable. The bigger it is the easier it is to hit. Get enough hits on it and stress will soon mount up which affects how effective it is in shooting or assault and you can even force it to leave the field if you stress it enough.  This is the core of the game.  Whole units are removed if a unit gains sufficient stress.

There is a reasonably sound points system.  You can min max but if you stat stuff according to the guidance you should get a good game.  For example this vehicle only looks to have light armour, I really want to give it heavy armour as that is the most bang for buck choice but I shouldn’t.  Best guide I have seen to creating units anywhere.  I let a friend who delights in breaking indy rules systems freely create units and there was not anything that could not be countered.

There are rules around target priority which seemed strange at first but they are game devices to allow infantry and smaller vehicles a chance.  They don’t seem very “realistic” but I can absolutely see why they are there to enhance game play.  Every type of unit from the lowest infantry grunt to super heavy vehicles seem to have a role and circumstances where they can shine.

The game rewards skilful play.  You give orders at the start of a turn.  Give the wrong order to something and you are stuffed.  I have had several Sammity Sam moments already cursing myself for giving daft orders.

The command and control system is great.  You can’t change orders if out of command.

Thuseld
    Participant

Okay. You have sold me. Time to see where I can pick up a copy.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Well that’s the real trick isn’t it? I can’t seem to find it. All I see is $75 to preorder something scheduled to be released over two years ago.

Thuseld
    Participant

Well that’s the real trick isn’t it? I can’t seem to find it. All I see is $75 to preorder something scheduled to be released over two years ago.

Same here. Or a Kickstarter with a $10 option for a PDF. I would rather have an actual book, but don’t want to spend $75 unless it is a huge book. I will keep looking.

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

I am not responsible for the much delayed Kickstarter or current marketing.  I have the PDF, it is 172 pages and I presume the printed book is the same.  I know models have been delivered, I think the book is still being printed.

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

I asked the author for the current situation re availability.  PDF and online unit builder access is to be launched march 10th for 25 dollars.  Printed rule book not available yet, price not yet fixed.  75 dollars was for Kickstarter, including dice and other bits, book on own may be less.

Thuseld
    Participant

I can wait. The concept seems good, and your explanation has interested me. I prefer printed books to PDFs so will hold off until available. Thanks for the information though.

Tim Snoddy
    Participant

I have two proper games under my belt and I would definitely give the system a big thumbs up.  Skilful play definitely has more influence on who wins that what you bring to the table.  In my last game I did a demo at my local club with three participants.  They all got the gist of the rules very quickly.  It is a neat system and I can see two experienced players being able to play very large games in a reasonable timescale.  Most combatants are lost when a unit’s morale breaks and the entire unit which could be 10 infantry or 5 tanks is eliminated.  Be careful to explain the move rates, they are huge compared to some rule sets.  If anyone has facebook and is interested I have photo AAR’s up. https://www.facebook.com/podsy.mcpod/photos_albums

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.