Home Forums General General Popular Genres

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Gosh, lets please not reinforce the stereotype, that all Historical Miniature Wargamers are old dull balding guys, with no sense of humor.

Participant

I’m merely suggesting how Mike might improve the experience here for historical wargamers

The experience might be improved if people read the message, saw the word period was used and answred the question rather than moaning about it?

Participant

WSS, GNW, FPW, WWI air, WWI and II naval.

I have a smattering of WWII early war 1940 figures and armor, but have not had it on the table in quite awhile.

Participant

Hmmm?

Owned and played? That’s a sneaky one. You mean I have to actually play games to be a wargamer?

Er :

Owain Glyndwr Rising : Impetus 15mm – against a  live opponent!

Sassanids v Late Romans: 6mm Impetus – again featuring human beings.

Soviets vs Mujahideen: 6mm Cold War Commander – Solo

Arthurian Brits vs Saxons: Dux Bellorum – odd one – no figures at the moment, using painted bases (paintings of troops that is) as I sold all my Dark Ages figures a year before in an astutemove.

Thirty Years War: 10mm Pendraken, own rules – solo and poor downtrodden friends as guinea pigs.

WWII Late War Brits v Germans 15mm WRG Armour Infantry

WWII Early War, what if invasion of Britain (Seelowe) Germans v Brits 1/200 Sytrex using Blitzkrieg Commander rules.

Napoleonic Peninsula and What if Invasion of Britain (A theme?) 6mm Brits Portuguese French using Volley and Bayonet (NOT Roads to Glory).

Working on Modern platoon level stuff – No End in Sight, Nordic Weasel – 6mm at the moment cos that’s all I have really but looking at 10mm or 15mm.

Waiting for Iregular Wars 2nd ed – painting English and Irish late Elizabethan armies from Frei Korps.

There are 28mm Italian Wars forces languishing in the attic and being reinforced (for no good reason I can see – by Perry plastics and Connoisseur bits and bobs – must be 18 months since I used them)

There are some 6mm SF figs (Angel Barracks)  in the process of being painted, but I have no idea what to do with them at the moment.

A lot more than I thought.

Participant

6mm – Ancients, Early Medieval, Wars of the Roses, Napoleonics, WW2 (I’ll shall probably be able to add ECW to that in a week or two).

28mm – Late Medieval/Fantasy

There are some 6mm SF figs (Angel Barracks) in the process of being painted, but I have no idea what to do with them at the moment.

Paint them up and we can meet up for a game!

Participant

Past year… owned and played specifically:

A Fistful of TOWs – end of the ’80s and some moves being made towards day-after-tomorrow type modern with Egyptians, 6mm throughout.

Force on Force – Vietnam with mainly VC vs USMC and ANZACs in 20mm, also Chechen wars in 28mm.

No End In Sight – same as above with the idea being to move to using that for Chechen wars and fictional ultramodern.

7TV – a few skirmishes and a campaign starting shortly, with a sci-fi bent to it. 28mm.

Pike&Shotte – English Civil War, 28mm.

I don’t own Check Your Six! but have played quite a bit of it anyway this year. Mostly early jet stuff.

Participant

<span style=”background-color: #808080;”>Paint them up and we can meet up for a game!</span>

Agreed!

BTW, the latest issue of WS&S has a detailed report on their wargaming survey from earlier this year. Very interesting reading given this topic.

Participant

As a superannuated chrome-domed curmudgeon I am of course an historical gamer first and foremost. However the games I actually play depend largely on what is put on at my local club or by friends. I am also fortunate enough that I have to do wargaming officially as part of my job. Over the last year I can recall:

Modern — near-future games using possible future orbats from Army 2020 and beyond, a role-playing game set in Iraq

WW2 —  Endless solitaire games of “Combat Mission” on the laptop, a quickie game of Frank Chadwick’s “Race for Tunis”, a tank commander skirmish game and a naval game set during the Japanese invasion of the Far East, and a commando role-playing game of a raid on a V-1 site

WW1 — a couple of games of Phil Sabin’s wonderful “Schlieffen” at the Connections UK conference

ECW — several battles to try out the club rules, including a series of historical actions from the Montrose campaign

Medieval — a try-out with my old crowd of Phil Barker’s “De Bellis Velitum” rules

Ancients — a session of the “Glory to Rome” card game

Mythological — a couple of games of Matagot’s wonderful “Cyclades” boardgame against niece Georgina

SF — an odd SF skirmish game at the club, and a solitaire try-out of the “Firefly” boardgame (a present from niece Georgina)

Fantasy — an anniversary bash at a D&D-like RPG

As I didn’t get to COW this year, attended no shows, there should have been a lot more, but I do need to get through the horror of house-moving before I can really concentrate.

All the best,

John.

Participant

This year I’ve played a lot of the WIP ‘Flint and Feather’, a project with Bob Murch of Pulp Figures about the wars of the Iroquois and Hurons.  The rules are a collaboration between me and my regular game design partner, Roderick Robertson, the figures are Bob’s plus some of the new Skraelings from Footsore.

We’ve played ‘Battle-Troll’, our Norse man-to-man rules, which are just violent fun with lots of humour.

A few games of Chain of Command, both SCW and Burma.

I played a terrific ‘Gangs of Rome’ game  at NJ Con in June. Looted temples, tricked my paymasters, generally behaved poorly.

One game of AWI, not really interested in the era despite actually living on the site of one of Washington’s encampments.

Two games of Dux Brittanorum, much fun.

I’ve published a game about Robin Hood, ‘Outlaws of Sherwood’, without actually playing it this year.

I do all my own stunts.

Participant

Owned and played in the last 12 months:

6mm – Wotr, WW2, Sci-fi

20mm WW2

28mm Old West

1/144 WW1(air)

1/1200th Napoleonic Naval

X-Wing

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Let’s see…

Bolt Action
    Hail Caesar
    TSATF
    Ronin
    Songs of Drums and Shakos
    Fire and Fury
    Napoleonics (custom rules)
    Field of Glory
    and…The Rules With No Name (Wild West)

That’s all ah can think of raht now.

Paul

Participant

Play nice guys and girls.

I do:

Scifi in 15mm though the 6mm is piling up.

Rules: Stargrunt, 5150 and my own Five Parsecs From Home. Been wanting to do some Laserburn too.

WW2 in 15mm but switching to 10mm. Also have started down the ASL path.

Rules: Nuts, Chain of Command, Crossfire, my own Five Men in Normandy.

Cold war and modern in 15mm.

Rules: My own No End in Sight.

Interested in plenty more but the above is what actually gets played.

If we include RPG’s, it’s Rolemaster and Runequest mostly, though we’ve played some original D&D and MegaTraveller this year.

sci-fi.

No longer true,  now 15mm Fantasy Skirmish!!

I’m merely suggesting how Mike might improve the experience here for historical wargamers, .

I *think* there’s probably more sci-fi/fantasy gamers at TWW than historical but care I do not (is that Cornish enough for you, Guy?)

I am fairly uninterested in sci-fi/fantasy but there are historical periods that also are of little interest for me (medieval, for instance). At any rate, the two camps can easily co-exist….if there are indeed, two camps (lots of crossovers, dontcha know).

BTW I don’t think I’ve ever seen the word “cool”  & “historic games” used in the same sentence.

(if it helps: Chariot wars, Punic Wars, Dark Ages, ECW, SYW, Naps, ACW, Colonial, WW2: all in 20mm /1/72)

donald

Keymaster

Last time I checked, which was a while ago to be fair there were more historical topics than sci-fi and fantasy.

Also, being subscribed to the entire forum I get an email for each new topic, and there certainly seems to be more historical ones.

I am not at the PC right now but will have a look when back and report on this.

I am curious.

Participant

WTFTI – Whatever the F**k That Is

Over the past 12 months I have played prehistoric period games using 15mm figures and the “Tribal” rules, Early Bronze Age Mesopotamia in 6mm with my home-made rules, WW2 using BKC2 in 3mm, 6mm, 10mm and 15mm,  WW2 Naval using 1/3000 scale ships and either “Victory At Sea” or “General Quarters” rules, spaceships using the “Battlefleet Gothic” rules but not the ships or background and, finally, a sc-fi RPG using my own background, the Firefly rules and 20mm scale figures.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Keymaster

So for the curious.

370 topics in Fantasy.
    970 topics in sci-fi.

1340 topics for both sci-fi and fantasy.

— —- — — — — —– – — — — — — — — —-

There are 1373 topics in Horse and Musket alone.
    Altogether there are 3900 topics in various historical forums.

I have not included any Company specific forums or any of the general forums.

Now, obviously topics does not equal posters.
    But it seems to suggest a historical bias.
    Which is fine with me.

Participant

I only just got back into miniature gaming in April of this year, starting again from scratch, so I haven’t been able to diversify too much. So far it’s been:

Ironclad/Pre-Dreadnought naval in 1/2400, using Iron & Fire, Dahlgren & Columbiad, and Fire When Ready.

Cold War air combat (Six Day War and Badme War) in 1/600, using Missile Threat.

Post Apocalyptic car combat in 20mm-ish (whatever weird scale Hot Wheels cars are!), using Gaslands and Road Wolf.

I’ve also played a ton of hex and counter board games, everything from Medieval to SciFi.

Participant

Holy thread resurrection batman! 🙂

So for the curious. 370 topics in Fantasy. 970 topics in sci-fi. 1340 topics for both sci-fi and fantasy. — —- — — — — —– – — — — — — — — —- There are 1373 topics in Horse and Musket alone. Altogether there are 3900 topics in various historical forums. I have not included any Company specific forums or any of the general forums. Now, obviously topics does not equal posters. But it seems to suggest a historical bias. Which is fine with me.

Go figure!

So we historical gamers are king!  I’ll show clemency & allow the sci-fi/fantasy gamers to stay here!! (Don’t thank me. Just send me money).

donald

Participant

Missed the Original Post, but I’ll reply late to the Original Point. I’m a hard-core historical gamer. I don’t belittle non-historical gaming, but if it’s not historical it just doesn’t interest me. I’ll play the occasional fantasy or sci-fi game just to be social, but my heart isn’t in it.

Played in the past 12 months, that I own:

6mm WWII Air: Check Your 6!, Blue Skies, dabbled a bit in Bag The Hun

15mm ACW: Fire & Fury, Johnny Reb III

28mm F&IW: Muskets & Tomahawks, Song of Drums and Tomahawks, This Very Ground

Played, but don’t own: 1/1200 pre-dreadnaught & WWI naval, 25mm Colonials, 15mm Renaissance naval,  6mm WWII micro-armor.

Painted up in the past year but haven’t played lately: 28mm ACW, 15mm Napoleonics, 28mm AWI, 20mm WWII, 15mm Bronze & Iron I ancients, 28mm Bronze & Iron I ancients.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Participant

Miniature games unless noted otherwise:

WW2 (Land & Air tactical, plus strategy PC games and boardgames)

Napoleonics

English Civil War

Wars of the Roses

Medieval

Ancients

Sci-Fi (Space Hulk, PC games – Shadowrun, mainly)

Fantasy (RPG)

Modern (boardgames, RPGs, PC games)

Inactive

So for the curious. 370 topics in Fantasy. 970 topics in sci-fi. 1340 topics for both sci-fi and fantasy. — —- — — — — —– – — — — — — — — —- There are 1373 topics in Horse and Musket alone. Altogether there are 3900 topics in various historical forums. I have not included any Company specific forums or any of the general forums. Now, obviously topics does not equal posters. But it seems to suggest a historical bias. Which is fine with me.

Interesting!

Perhaps one factor that might lead to more historical topics is that it is easier to see posts from other people playing the same game, or at least in the same setting.  To take your example above; while there are certainly different time periods and locations in which one could play horse and musket, the ideas expressed by other gamers would likely still be relevant, or at least adjacent, to your interests.  Someone looking for suggestions for a fantasy game, on the other hand, could get responses ranging from Warhammer through Conan to Redwall.  That’s neither good nor bad, just different!

To your original question in the last year I’ve played repeatedly and/or put serious effort into game-related hobby work on the following:

Sci-Fi RPG (Star Wars) in 28mm

Sci-Fi skirmish (Star Wars) in 35mm

Sci-Fi skirmish (Warhammer 40k) in 28mm

Sci-Fi Aerial (Star Wars) in 6mm

Sci-Fi Naval (Star Wars) in fleet scale

Sci-Fi strategic (Star Wars) board game

Fantasy skirmish (L5R) in 28mm

Fantasy mass battle (Terrinoth) in 28mm

Fantasy strategic (Root) board game

ACW mass battle in 15mm and 6mm

ACW grand tactical board game

Pulp skirmish in 15mm

WWI Naval in 1:6000

WWII mass battle in 6mm

WWII Naval in 1:6000

WWII Aerial in 1:200

Possibly also of interest, that whilst the Horse and Musket forum itself has more individual topics than sci-fi and fantasy combined.
    There is a single topic in the fantasy forum that has had more views than the Horse and Musket forum.

With almost 20,000 views my Crom’s Anvil topic is the most viewed topic on TWW.

For more info on hot topics check HERE

Participant

Going into a local store that sells a lot of boardgames and fantasy / sci-fi systems, the ‘historical’ stuff on the shelves is;

Bolt action 28mm WWII

Black Powder 28mm Napoleonic / ACW and AWI.

Going to a wargame show, it is mainly 28mm being sold and as for the gaming tables with historical games, I would say that there is a fairly eclectic mix, but there is pretty much always ;

WWII in 20mm or 28mm

Naval of whatever period – this seems to be growing.

Looking at my own last few purchases;

Perry 28mm Wars of Roses and ACW.

Kallistra 12mm 1066

WWII tactical boardgame

East front WWII strategic boardgame

Looking at the various blogs I follow;

Napoleonic 28mm

AWI 28mm

7 years war 15mm

Looking at 3 high street magazines for this month;

Wars of the Roses

Some support for the smaller scales – notably 6mm in Miniature wargames

and a load of content covering a wide set of periods in what can only be described as skirmish actions, but with lots of pretty terrain.

Looking at new stuff being advertised and innovation;

I am seeing more stuff for what is being turned Cold War going Hot circa 1985. The big plastic companies are pushing this out in 15mm and 20mm and at the smaller scales, both Pendraken and especially Timecast are bringing out whole new ranges, while Plastic Soldier Company has made some suggestions about doing 10mm cold war in plastic, so that looks like an area of growth that is only just being tapped into.

My impression is that, here on TWW, non-fantastical gaming (meaning historicals and moderns combined, also including what-if and imagi-nations settings that don’t stray into superscience or the occult) has a larger presence than fantastical gaming (meaning not just fantasy and sci-fi in their orthodox sense, but also genres like post-apoc, VSF/steampunk, Weird West, WWW2, larger-than-life pulp and spy-fi adventures, superheroes, horror with its various subgenres, etc.). I don’t necessarily correlate “presence” directly with the amount of posts each subject receives – it’s not quite that easy-to-communicate of a feeling, but I feel it. As someone who’s primarily interested in fantastical gaming, I sometimes feel like an unwelcome disruptive element at TWW, but I’m doing my best to change that by asserting the place of fantasticals in the mix, while also making an effort to engage in topics about historicals and moderns (for instance by posting encouraging comments when others post photos of historical/modern subjects) to counteract this becoming a community of two camps.

That said, I also feel that fantastical gaming has been slowly “growing into” its allotted space in TWW, meaning that non-fantastical gaming used to be even more dominant in the past but the scales have been gradually evening out. In the early days, fantasy didn’t even have much presence at all here. It was mostly just sci-fi. Fantasy was a late bloomer. Those other genres of fantasticals I mentioned earlier have only begun to bloom a little by now – I can think of a small few threads for post-apoc, pulp or horror on TWW over the years, but not many, and none for the remaining genres.

On a different subject, my interests in fantasy and sci-fi are subdivided to the extent that I feel it’s silly to just speak of “fantasy” as one genre and “sci-fi” as another. Mike asked me once to describe “my 15mm fantasy project”. I didn’t know quite how to respond to that as I have several: One for Conan-style swords-and-sorcery, one for classic Tolkienesque fantasy, one for a decidedly more edgy, WHFB-esque fantasy aesthetic using only Ben Siens sculpts, and one for Japanese fantasy. There’s yet more in other scales. To be clear, that’s not to say I think TWW’s fantasy and sci-fi boards should be subdivided, just in case anyone was misinterpreting my point.

Participant

Possibly also of interest, that whilst the Horse and Musket forum itself has more individual topics than sci-fi and fantasy combined. There is a single topic in the fantasy forum that has had more views than the Horse and Musket forum. With almost 20,000 views my Crom’s Anvil topic is the most viewed topic on TWW. For more info on hot topics check HERE

Hmmm, very suspicious.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

Sci fi from individual figures to company level in 6mm.

WW2 in 6mm. No games actually played yet.

WW2 in 20mm although not been active for 3 years.

28mm fantasy but that is more of a dabble that hasn’t been dabbled very much.

So I do 9-10 periods (see above, if you’re interested).

That’s quite a lot. I do have a tendency to focus on one to the exclusion of all others. This “focus” falls short of ‘obsession’….just.

It’s not, for example,  that I wouldn’t read a post here on Napoleonics (one of my periods) if I’m currently besotted with ECW (which I am) but my thinking, reading, researching & even posting on forums tends to exclude everything else except the current favourite period.

I suspect on TWW I may be a bit of a trial because of this tendency.

However, the frenzy lasts between 3 months and a year on average. I move on but some where down the track, I’ll move back in a slightly demented merry-go-round that is my hobby life.

donald

Keymaster

sci-fi.

Lies, it is fantasy now you fibber!

Participant

Possibly also of interest, that whilst the Horse and Musket forum itself has more individual topics than sci-fi and fantasy combined. There is a single topic in the fantasy forum that has had more views than the Horse and Musket forum. With almost 20,000 views my Crom’s Anvil topic is the most viewed topic on TWW. For more info on hot topics check HERE

Hmmm, very suspicious.

Highly suspicious.  I think I’ve been hacked.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

Update: 18mm Ancients – specifically Caesar’s Gallic Wars – using Age of Hannibal.

"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Participant

Within the past 12 months:
    28mm – Dark Ages, Greek myths, zombies, Romans v Celts, Fantasy (Morval Earth, The Hobbit), Victorian Gothic, WW2, Lost World

20mm – WW2

Played but own only a Command Group – Waterloo (largest wargame 22,000 figures)

Participant

RIght now i am painting my dark fable conan stuff and my cold wars flash gordons. but as far as games i have played in the last 6-12 months all have been historical games.

I belong to a club down here (i am at 44 one of the younger ones) and we play once a month, we did play a game of battlefleet gothic, but normally its colonials, ( i run my semi famous gunga din game a couple times a year, one guy does 15mm zulu, for both we use Sword and the Flame) we play naval stuff, they have some HUGE ass 25mm pirate ships and every xmas we have a “regatta” using limies and slimies

I also run games here at the local HMGS south and HMGS events. so thats florida and pa. all historical games. when we do those at historicon they give my buddy and i our own room and i have to say in the last few years i have not played in anyone elses games as we literally spend most of the time running ours. maybe 20 games for the weekend. covering periods like Lewis and Clark, F&I war, civil war. I am supposed to be painting 15mm mexican american war figs but ive been lazy on that front(for like 2 years now!!!)  Most of what i have listed has been played in th elast 6 months.

Participant

now for the couple of guys crying and arguing.. go to facebook or twitter for that. go use your real name, be bold and be dicks there. No need for that here. 🙂 really this place is nice in that people generally dont gripe and whine and fight and its really a nice haven. I also pay to be here so i think having expecting a touch more decorum from the rest of you isnt out of line

Participant

My impression is that, here on TWW, non-fantastical gaming (meaning historicals and moderns combined, also including what-if and imagi-nations settings that don’t stray into superscience or the occult) has a larger presence than fantastical gaming (meaning not just fantasy and sci-fi in their orthodox sense, but also genres like post-apoc, VSF/steampunk, Weird West, WWW2, larger-than-life pulp and spy-fi adventures, superheroes, horror with its various subgenres, etc.). I don’t necessarily correlate “presence” directly with the amount of posts each subject receives – it’s not quite that easy-to-communicate of a feeling, but I feel it. As someone who’s primarily interested in fantastical gaming, I sometimes feel like an unwelcome disruptive element at TWW, but I’m doing my best to change that by asserting the place of fantasticals in the mix, while also making an effort to engage in topics about historicals and moderns (for instance by posting encouraging comments when others post photos of historical/modern subjects) to counteract this becoming a community of two camps. That said, I also feel that fantastical gaming has been slowly “growing into” its allotted space in TWW, meaning that non-fantastical gaming used to be even more dominant in the past but the scales have been gradually evening out. In the early days, fantasy didn’t even have much presence at all here. It was mostly just sci-fi. Fantasy was a late bloomer. Those other genres of fantasticals I mentioned earlier have only begun to bloom a little by now – I can think of a small few threads for post-apoc, pulp or horror on TWW over the years, but not many, and none for the remaining genres. On a different subject, my interests in fantasy and sci-fi are subdivided to the extent that I feel it’s silly to just speak of “fantasy” as one genre and “sci-fi” as another. Mike asked me once to describe “my 15mm fantasy project”. I didn’t know quite how to respond to that as I have several: One for Conan-style swords-and-sorcery, one for classic Tolkienesque fantasy, one for a decidedly more edgy, WHFB-esque fantasy aesthetic using only Ben Siens sculpts, and one for Japanese fantasy. There’s yet more in other scales. To be clear, that’s not to say I think TWW’s fantasy and sci-fi boards should be subdivided, just in case anyone was misinterpreting my point.

i agree here. at least i feel all the different genres are about equally represented, at least as offered topics.   maybe we dont have enough people yet to make them all super busy all the time.  i like it here man- well one thing i would disagree with: you arent disruptive.. 🙂

Keymaster

now for the couple of guys crying and arguing.. go to facebook or twitter for that. go use your real name, be bold and be dicks there. No need for that here. 🙂 really this place is nice in that people generally dont gripe and whine and fight and its really a nice haven. I also pay to be here so i think having expecting a touch more decorum from the rest of you isnt out of line

Who is being uncool?
    Could you drop me a pm or email please?

Participant

A quick check of BGG where I log my games shows that in the past 12 months I have played six games in total. They were 6mm sci-fi (Hellfire) and Dreadball (sci-fi sports), and yet I still consider myself mainly a historical gamer (with a full head of hair). My painting table has featured 6mm WW2, 15mm Swedish SYW, 15mm Vikings as well as a Dreadball team in the past 12 months, so predominantly historical. It’s just the actual getting the figures to the table that seems to be a problem.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://roderickdale.co.uk/
    https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/

Participant

Who is being uncool? Could you drop me a pm or email please?

well i feel stupid. It looks like they were dicks like three years ago! lol. i didnt realize the thread was that old. But it was toward the front, just on the first page.   a couple guys were being poopy. I am pretty sure they have had time to work that it.. i feel like an ass, but my sentiment is the same.
    plus, i recently read a post from you on Facebook about this being your livelihood and how you home school your daughter. It makes me that much happier to be a sponsor here.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.