Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Possibly dumb 3/6mm forest idea

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Looking at my old 3mm Charlies Point board, I hate how the jungle and forest was done.  It always looks so sparse.  I’ve tried all sorts of stuff, but nothing has floated my boat.  A lot of it is because I use items under a flexible gaming mat to make hills, so anything rigid just won’t jive.

So here’s my though, and let me know if this is dumb:

I’m thinking of using roofing nails as the trucks, pushed through flexible media of some sort (like maybe the spongy pad liners for kitchen drawers) with clump foliage glued on top.  Different height nails and color of clump would denote what type of forest it is.  short nails with dark green would be single canopy, medium height with medium green would be double canopy, and tall with light green could be triple canopy jungle.

I would think this would be flexible enough to follow the slopes and whatnot of the gaming mat hills, etc, but my worry is that maybe it’ll look dumb because it will be so monochromatic and maybe the nails will be seen to be not vertical on slopes?

Opinions?  thoughts?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thuseld
    Participant

I have seen the nails through a board with clump foliage on top before. But a flexible board? I mean perhaps it will work. You would just need to make sure the trunks support it properly.

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

Could the clump foliage also be on a flexible backing that simply lies over the trunks? That way the foliage could be removed to show what’s hiding in the forest (if necessary) and the trunks wouldn’t need to be too dense inside–just enough to hold up the leaves.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Mr. Average
    Participant

I have seen forest/jungle area terrain done in a similar way. Use brads so you can clip the points off (to avoid injuries) and then make the canopy on a rigid board that seats on top of them. When you have combat in the jungle, take the “lid” off the area. When not in combat, put it back on to represent dense terrain.

A Lot of Gaul
    Participant

Some very good ideas here: https://www.6mmacw.com/forests.html

"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Some very good ideas here: https://www.6mmacw.com/forests.html

Oh yes, seen that and filed it in the “gotta do” category.  I’m wanting something similar, but somewhat flexible.  Literally flexible as in somewhat bendy.  I’m still out on whether a removable top is the way to go.

Could the clump foliage also be on a flexible backing that simply lies over the trunks?

and

When you have combat in the jungle, take the “lid” off the area

I like the idea, but the problem would be the flexible part, as the trucks would not be attached to the canopy and would have to be on their own base, unless they are stuck vertically into the tabletop.

So that thought leads me 2 directions:

1. The possibility of inverting the design, sort of.  Maybe the nails push up through a mesh and lay on their heads, and another flexible mesh with clump foliage sits on them so it can be removed.
    2. Or the tabletop is perhaps a self healing mat of some sort with maybe foam beneath that can have wooden skewers pushed in for the trunks, and then the flexible mesh with clump foliage can lay on top of that.  This would allow for vertical trunks for sure, as well as freedom of placing them wherever.

Food for thought, thank you again dudes!

Thomaston
    Participant

I’d like to see how this comes out. The link looks really good and was what I thought DSG was going after. I’m not sure about the inerted disign thugh, sounds a tad dangerous and having the pointy end down sounds more practical.

Tired is enough.

Logain
    Participant

Hmm… interesting concept! How about using a flexible layer instead of trunks? Maybe a toothed belt or textured gasket?  Or a rigid forest floor and top but with segments joined by fiber tape?  Instead of one forest have three smaller ones that fit together, including a middle segment designed with angled trunks to match your slopes?

Logain
    Participant

Got it!  Here’s one that would work great: take an empty container (eg bottom of Altoid’s tin).  Paint the top dark, glue foliage to it. Same with sides. Maybe glue some scraps to the top and sides to make less uniform.  Fill the bottom with poster putty. Use skewers/round toothpicks etc as trunks.  Then you can easily adjust the length of you supporting trunks to match your contours for each game by inserting them further or less!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Not bad ideas Logan, thank you!  I’ll do some experimenting and see what works.

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I have done exactly this for my “max detail” 3mm set up. Let me pass along some lessons learned.

For flexible base material, use an appropriately painted cloth.

Nails are areal bitch. My mat is canvas, overlaid with silicon caulking and flocking. Nails are hard to push into it, distort it, and make holes.

My solution? Those long, sharp, sewing ouch pins with a ball on top.

I make a bunch of trees out of those and use them to anchor the margins of the woods area, then I throw easily removed scatter terrain into the middle of the area. It can be easily removed when troops enter.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

TerrainShed
    Participant

Just buy them from me. My forests go up slopes quite happily . I’ll dig out some photos of a Stonne game where the wooded slopes were around 45° or 1 in 1.

Terrain Shed

Here you go:

Großdeutschland IR emerging from woods on the Stonne escarpment. Note angle tree trunks make with the ground towards the bend in the road near Pain du Sucre

Enjoy your gardening

Les & Alison

Logain
    Participant

Those do look nice!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I make a bunch of trees out of those and use them to anchor the margins of the woods area, then I throw easily removed scatter terrain into the middle of the area. It can be easily removed when troops enter.

Another great idea, thank you Thad!

Note angle tree trunks make with the ground towards the bend in the road near Pain du Sucre

Not bad at all!  Did yuo squish them or something to get them to be different from 90*?

Just buy them from me.

I just might!

Cacique Caribe
    Participant

Flexible EVA Foam sheets, perhaps?

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/with/72157710630529376

Thaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

I have used those and they are… meh. First of all, they are hard to paint and also hard to keep paint on them.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Just discovered I have some screen left from redoing a window, might give that a try as the basis for the canopy.

TerrainShed
    Participant

Note angle tree trunks make with the ground towards the bend in the road near Pain du Sucre

Not bad at all! Did you squish them or something to get them to be different from 90*?

Just buy them from me.

I just might!

‘Tree trunks’ are inserted at the right angle and depth so that the tree canopy base is parallel to the hill surface and enough clearance for occupants, the lower the better generally. I don’t usually use the felt ‘footprint’ in my games, I just use reference points from other scenery or models when replacing them.

Enjoy your gardening

Les & Alison

Mr. Average
    Participant

Alas this still will not make for the flexible ones you are looking for but since it’s at least partly related, I thought I’d post the idea.  Use corrugated cardboard.  A flat piece on top makes the base of the canopy, and a strip with one face of paper removed denotes the forest edge.  Suitable brown paint etc. makes for the appearance of a dense area of growth, and if the top of the forest is acceptably beyond the face of the “wall” it will cast a nice shadow down.  Some little bits of undergrowth, etc., and you’re good to go.  Within the forest you can have your forces hidden until they emerge.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

This weekend I tried using screen mesh ( like for windows) as a backing and found that due to the porousness there is little for the foliage to stick to.  BUT, this then lead me to making big puddles of PVA and Tacky on glass with the clump foliage pushed into it.  Will see how it has dried when I get home from work today.  Might then glue a mesh backing to hold it all together, we will see.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.