Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Post apocalypse preferences?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

For post-apocalypse gaming, do people just do the zombies/mutants Resident Evil/Fallout style of gaming or are there any interest in a less fantastic style of post-apocalyptic gaming as well?

Enquiring minds wants to know.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

Evyn MacDude
    Participant

What do you mean by Less Fantastic?

In that do you mean not High Tech, or No zombies and the like?

Where Car Wars and Dark Future fall in this spectrum?

Evyn

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Along the lines of Car Wars and Dark Future yeah.

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    Participant

I ran a lot of Twilight 2000 back in the day and always like the Post WW3 setting. I always wondered how many Nuclear duds there would have been.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I ran a lot of Twilight 2000 back in the day and always like the Post WW3 setting. I always wondered how many Nuclear duds there would have been.

I imagine the answer to that is “not enough” 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    Participant

<h5>True but what if the failure rate for both the rockets and warheads had been 50% or more.</h5>

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

<h5>True but what if the failure rate for both the rockets and warheads had been 50% or more.</h5>

Actually, I think it’s very likely that many missiles would indeed have either failed or had very low accuracy.

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    Participant

So WW3 the dud war….throw in Godzilla,Giant Ants and Mutants.

Angel Barracks

I like both aspects.
    Within my own game world there are shanty towns, bandits and infected people.
    Whilst not post-apoc as such there are elements of that genre that fit well into less doomsday settings.

I would play zombie games, but to be fair if that was the only theme of the game I suspect I would get bored quickly, facing the same enemy time after time…
    Gangs would only work for me if it was almost rpg based, with skills for each character.

Terminator would work.
    Borderlands would work.
    Resident Evil would work as long as TUC sent in goon squads and not just mutants.

I also like the Winter setting here:

http://www.miniaturemojo.co.uk/

I would be happy with no mutants and or zombies, but also happy with Zeds if they were not the only baddy!

Barks
    Participant

I prefer my post apoc not to be too fantasy heavy. I can cope with a few mild mutants, but start chucking psychic powers and monsters everywhere and you’ll be losing my interest. Mad Max is more my thing.

A specific zombie apocalypse is fine, as you get the tensions between survivor groups a la ‘Walking Dead’. But, again, start chucking in mix of slow and afast zombies, psychic zombies, special weird ability zombies, etc, and I’m out.

Cosmotiger
    Participant

To be honest, zombies have little appeal to me in games.  I’m just tired of them.

But I like most other flavors of PA:  Planet of the Apes, Thundarr/Gamma World, Mad Max, or straight human gangs with minimal weirdness.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

The zombie thing has probably gotten way overdone in general.

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    Participant

How about a plague something like Steven King’s The Stand with out the supernatural horror.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No Zombies.

Little (preferably none or very “reasonable” mutations) Mutant activity [you have an advantage because of a mutation you hide it… or die to the.mob…]

Fallen human beings are bad enough you don’t need crutches…

Which is why I have no standing forces for Post Apocalypse  gaming…  I see humans at their worst on the globe 5 days a week at work.

Mike
    Keymaster

I guess it also depends how post it is…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I guess it also depends how post it is…

Just IMO, it should be long enough ago that no one clearly remembers the exact details but not so long ago that it becomes myth: one (if it “isn’t discussed” publicly) or two generations.

Why is less important than the level of devastation.  The traditional “Four Horsemen” of Revelation are generic (and devastating) enough to work and if large cities can’t get food in to feed people adequately you lose large numbers of people, many of the technical people who can bring about resurrection of society, and you have, in the packed masses a perfect “lab” for infection/disease (working definition of a hospital is “… an environment where the most susceptible of patients are exposed to the most virulent of organisms…”)

Paul
    Participant

Post apocalyptic fiction is better the less “fantastic” it is: I like tales of normal people struggling against the odds. Does this translate into a good game? Probably not: normal people in a wargame are usually boring, unless they are battling the fantastic (zombies, giant spiders, dinosaurs, or whatever). So although I prefer more realistic PA fiction, PA games need to be unrealistic. That said, though, I have been tempted by Scavenge Skirmish Survive, so maybe I’m completely wrong 🙂

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Altius
    Participant

I generally prefer my Post-Apocalyptic world to be without zombies, aliens and weird mutants. I like a world where there is a breakdown in order, similar to what you see in some countries now, with small groups of survivors banding together and the remnants of military units after some catastrophe.

There was a show I liked called Jericho (not sure if that ever showed outside the US) that focused on a small town after a nuclear attack. They had little contact with the rest of the world due to a massive EMP attack. It was kinda cheesy in parts, but I liked how they fought wars with neighboring small towns over resources and with the forces of a rebel government trying to establish control over the area. It gave me a lot of gaming inspiration.

Where there is fire, we will carry gasoline

Paul
    Participant

Not to derail the topic, but just to let you know Altius, Jericho was continued in comic book form. Just in case you didn’t know.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Altius
    Participant

That’s cool! I’m not really a comic book kind of guy, but I’d like to read that.

Where there is fire, we will carry gasoline

kyoteblue
    Participant

Jericho kinda jumped the shark for me when the actors would leave a room full of lit candles and wander off….keep thinking hey that house should burn down.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.