Home Forums WWII Prelude – The Battle of Three-Stripe Hill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

Finally, the long awaited (by Kyote at least) first batrep for Sgt Rock.

In mid-November 1942 Easy Company came ashore in Oran, Algeria, too late for the fighting, such as it was. Since then they’d been on one dusty road or trail, marching east to the sound of gunfire. They’d been bombed, strafed, and bombarded, but so far the GIs of Easy Company had yet to see the enemy. The Vichy French had been a relative push over in and around the invasion beaches, and then quickly surrendered and joined the Allies. Allied armor quickly put ashore and then brushed the Italians back on their way into Tunisia. But Tunisia was where the British and US armored formations finally encountered Rommel’s famed Afrika Korps, and things were not going well.

Allied forces, previously racing for Tunis and Bizerte, switched over to the defensive, which finally allowed the footsore dogfaces of Easy Company to catch up to the frontline. Allied armor pulled back to form a mobile reserve, while the infantry pushed forward to seize strong defensive positions on hilltops and near rivers. The Skipper of Easy Company received his orders: the company was to move forward and seize the crest of Hill 302, and word was the Germans were thinking the same thing. The Skipper studied the map, thinking it’s gonna be quite a hike, but the slope of the hill is pretty gentle before leveling of to a small saucer of a plateau a hundred or so yards across, with a small pimple in the center being the highest point on Hill 302. The crest should be easy to spot, what with the rubble of an old temple sitting atop it.

The Skipper issued his orders, and junior officers and NCOs set about getting the green troops of Easy Company ready for their task, and their first fight, against hardened German panzer grenadiers no less! Easy formed up in route column and set off in the cool morning dark, and a 90-minute hump saw them on a rock strewn trail a couple hundred yards from the base of Hill 302. And that’s when it started: “INCOMING!!!”

The Skipper and other leaders of Easy Company pressed the men forward, but scores were dropped by the ferocious German artillery barrage. “Keep pushing!” The men of Easy Company struggled under the weight of the gear, weapons, and ammunition, as well against the fear wrought by the sharp crack of enemy artillery impacts and shrapnel whizzing by. But the Skipper kept pushing, and in the lead, he soon broke out onto the plateau, with the crest not thirty yards away. “Double time!”

A lone GI stands against overwhelming odds, firing a Browning .30 caliber machine gun from the hip, belts of ammunition slung over his neck. To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/06/prelude-battle-of-three-stripe-hill.html

Please forgive the ultra simple table. I was more focused on seeing if I could actually do something on a 12″ x 12″ board, rather than dressing it up. The whole point was to play a quick game with minimal set up and figures, and I think it worked. Having said that, I will try to do better in the future in making the board a bit more appealing.

What I need from you guys is scenario ideas. We’re talking about 5-8 GIs vs 6-12 Germans in North Africa; Mr. Rod Robertson has already provided a few good ideas, I’d love to see if anyone has more.

Pvt Rock recuperated quickly and rejoined his unit. There he was offered a battlefield commission, but he turned it down, instead accepting meritorious promotion to Master Sergeant, becoming the “Top Sergeant” in Easy Company, which had just had its ranks brought back to full strength by cleaning out the misfits and rear echelon troops from various headquarters and service companies. More to follow.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Hot Damn !!!!!!!

Participant

Jack:

A great little game and an exciting write up. But those carpet hill contours are such a bummer man, even given your drive for simplicity in this test game. Loved the skirmish action though so all is forgiven.

Keep up the great work and step away from the Nappies!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Oh, and my father was Mr. Rod Robertson, I’m just Rod (or Rory).

Participant

I didn’t even care about the carpet hills !!!!!!

Participant

Mr. Rory-Rod Robertson – Ya ask for WWII, I gave ya WWII, quit complainin’!  😉

Kyote – Hopefully it met all your needs and expectations.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

You did great Just Jack.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.