Home Forums General General Primer Problems on Resin

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    irishserb
    Participant

Over the last 3-4 months, I’ve started having problems with both Krylon and Rustoeleum primers sticking to resin models (my own castings mostly, and the resin from the one other company is the same type that I use).  The resin is the same resin that I’ve used since 1995.  The current models are made from castings made between 1995 and December of 2020, mixed on some models, and  I have over 1000 of these painted from years past without incident.  It isn’t the resin; it hasn’t changed, and there was no mold release on any of it.

The primer has changed, and I can’t get the products that I used to use.  I’ve been in touch with the manufacturers, and they have been little help, telling me to have local retailers order product numbers that aren’t available to them, and telling me wash your items to be painted, etc.  Yes, done all of that, no change.  The primer rubs off and readily scrapes off at the slightest touch of a finger nail.  The Krylon primer works better than the Rustoleum, but the problem is there with both of the “new and improved”  products.

So, what primer do you use?

Thanks,

irishserb

Mike
    Keymaster

I have been using Humbrol n0.29 for over 15 years on resin from numerous people, metal from various people, printed models from various people and all is well.

Geof Downton
    Participant

I have recently read an article (which I now cannot find, of course!) suggesting gesso as a primer for resin. It may be worth a go if you happen to have some, but would otherwise seem to be an expensive experiment.

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Tony Hughes
    Participant

Over the years I’ve tried all sorts and never really had one that didn’t work to some extent and few that didn’t sometimes have problems. Gesso is what I now use but that still has some coverage issues and doesn’t always get into some details and undercuts. I tend to thin it with a few drops of diluted flow improver.

I don’t think I’ve ever tried to scrape off paint with a fingernail so not sure whether that is a test my stuff would pass – why would you want to do that ? If it doesn’t rub off with a finger I’d say it had bonded adequately for a primer. The protective coat is the final varnish, not the primer.

irishserb
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll look into them.

Not so much scraping with the fingernail, I happened to brush the back of my nail against one of the models and the primer peeled right off. I then realized it was coming off in little bits on my fingers just through picking up the vehicle while painting.

McKinstry
    Participant

The only resin I’ve been painting lately have either been stuff from my Elegoo Mars (using Elegoo resin) and some Warlord stuff for Victory at Sea and some terrain pieces from Novus Studios. In most cases, I’ve used either GW’s Gray Seer or Wraithbone spray and it has never caused a problem. I get the same consistent good results with occasional use where a specific undercoat color is helpful with the War painter spray line. I know both GW and War Painter are on the high side of expensive but I don’t run through huge quantities. In the past I have used Krylon on resin terrain pieces with generally acceptable results although periodically I have had it fail catastrophically with broad flat areas just sheeting off.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Norm S
    Participant

My last use of rattle can primer on resin failed. i went over it with Vallejo Polyurethane black Primer and it locked on nicely.

willz
    Participant

The only problem I have had with primmer and paint is when I prime, paint Caesar Miniatures the figures dry a nice matt but when I matt varnish Caesar figures initially they dry matt but after a couple of months they turn gloss.  I do not get this problem with another manufacturers figures, I have tried acrylic primmer, or enamel primer and each of the same paints but still the same problem but only on Caesar figures.  Is it the same problem with your resin is it the oils or another substance that is causing your problem.

irishserb
    Participant

Thanks for the continued replies.

I’m still looking for a source for the Humbrol spray.  I have no local source, and the internet sellers are either out of stock, or want $15,00 per can or more, which seems to be on the order of twice retail.  Guessing the shortage is Covid connected.

I have some gesso, but it will probably be a last resort, as brushing on primer with turn priming from minutes to hours.  At least I have a solution, if not ideal.

I’ll check into the Vallejo product.

willz,  I don’t think it is the resin.  The old primer stuck to castings that were made at the same time, from the same batches of resin, as these parts.  The old primer has been discontinued, an the product that has replaced it, the new primer,  is not sticking.

Thanks again for the help everyone, it is much appreciated.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I use rattle can automotive primers from Halfrauds (other motor factors are available). Sticks to anything.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

willz
    Participant

Thanks for the continued replies.t. willz, I don’t think it is the resin. The old primer stuck to castings that were made at the same time, from the same batches of resin, as these parts. The old primer has been discontinued, an the product that has replaced it, the new primer, is not sticking. Thanks again for the help everyone, it is much appreciated.

So it seems to point to a change in manufacturing process or ingredients for the primmer ?

willz
    Participant

I use rattle can automotive primers from Halfrauds (other motor factors are available). Sticks to anything.

I use similar car undercoat grey acrylic spray works well on everything (stand fast spraying on insulation foam opps melts it) and gives a smooth flat finish

jeffers
    Participant

Baufix dark yellow, Army Painter Black or Skeleton Bone or Halfords/whatever the local Car Mart sells for motors.

I had the same problem with Army Painter White peeling off S&S models. Nothing else did, so not a problem with the models. Unless Shaun uses some kind of white primer repellent in his resin mix…😁

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

I use Vallejo surface primer – no problems on any of the materials mentioned.

Gun Dog Miniature Painting Services
    https://m.facebook.com/gundogminiatures/
    Sniffing out unpainted armies!

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I use Vallejo surface primer – no problems on any of the materials mentioned.

I’ve got a bottle of black surface primer. It’s bloody useless.

I’m a fan of Vallejo products, but not their acrylic primer.

"I go online sometimes, but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's... depressing."

It seems to work for me 🤔

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Dries semi-matt. No ‘key’ for paint. Rubs off easily.

Maybe I got a bad one. 🙂

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I was using Tamiya Extra/Super Fine primer (in white), but the last 2 cans I have gotten have ended up with a shiny and smooth finish rather than the very slightly grainy it used to be.  It also comes off very easily.  But, the regular Fine (Light Grey) works great.  For the most part now though I try to use a primer/base paint that matches the overall color I will be painting the model, and have used GW rattle cans with surprisingly good results, as well as some old FoW sprays that I believe were from Army Painter (?).  Sprays bought from hardware stores have been less successful as they are much more thick and obscure detail.

…and BTW, that experience was with a batch of models which included your Panhard M3 casting (though slightly converted to sci-fi).

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Dries semi-matt. No ‘key’ for paint. Rubs off easily. Maybe I got a bad one. 🙂

i mostly use it thinned through an airbrush using tamiya acrylic thinner and a little water.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.