Home Forums Alternate History Imagi-Nations Project Slow Burn

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Thomaston
    Participant

Found this on IMDB John Wick trivia. Reminded me of my background for 3SOME. At the time I made up the animal cruelty crime, didn’t know people went to jail for it.

The story is loosely inspired by an incident in Texas involving former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell, who wrote Lone Survivor, about his fireteam’s ordeal during Operation Red Wings in Afghanistan in 2005. Luttrell was given a yellow labrador puppy, whom he named DASY, after the members of his fireteam. On April 1, 2009, at about 1:00 a.m., Luttrell was awakened by a gunshot, and saw four men drive away. DASY was dead in his yard from a gunshot wound. He armed himself with two 9mm Beretta pistols and chased the men through four counties in his truck until police apprehended them. They taunted Luttrell, threatened to kill him, and indicated no remorse for their actions. They were later sentenced for animal cruelty. Luttrell stated later, “I spared them, because I’ve killed enough people already.”

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That all happened not too far from me, and I never connected the dots between that incident and the films.  A lot of people thought Luttrell should have been given a pair of shears and a few moments to convert the thugs to be unics.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

@Guy Farrish

Lost only that one zoologist, they decided to run before loosing more.

1LOVE isn’t a shooter so I’ll excuse his rusty Special Forces fieldcraft. Although the general concensus was he cheated the land navigation phase, since he wasn’t given a map.

@DSG

I’ll bet if you look around your neighborhood carefully you’ll see people covertly passing around gold coins.

Good news the dice had been cleared. I played some 5Core games, the kill and Shock dice needed 1s and 6s, and of courses these dice rolled middling numbers.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Have you thought of having them exorcised? (the dice that is)

Throwing consistently low or high is one thing, but deliberately avoiding all required numbers sounds distinctly worrying to me.

Looking forward to the next stirring adventure of the STD team (are any of them actually still alive/combat effective? I feel for these people I really do.)

greg954
    Participant

Found this on IMDB John Wick trivia. Reminded me of my background for 3SOME. At the time I made up the animal cruelty crime, didn’t know people went to jail for it.

The story is loosely inspired by an incident in Texas involving former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell, who wrote Lone Survivor, about his fireteam’s ordeal during Operation Red Wings in Afghanistan in 2005. Luttrell was given a yellow labrador puppy, whom he named DASY, after the members of his fireteam. On April 1, 2009, at about 1:00 a.m., Luttrell was awakened by a gunshot, and saw four men drive away. DASY was dead in his yard from a gunshot wound. He armed himself with two 9mm Beretta pistols and chased the men through four counties in his truck until police apprehended them. They taunted Luttrell, threatened to kill him, and indicated no remorse for their actions. They were later sentenced for animal cruelty. Luttrell stated later, “I spared them, because I’ve killed enough people already.”

That reminds me of the story of Paddy Mayne. During WW2 when David Stirling was forming the SAS. Paddy Mayne had a Jack Russel Terrier. When he was away his commanding officer, who hated Mayne killed his dog. When Mayne returned he was so furious he beat up his commanding office (Mayne was not a man to be crossed). He was due to be court marshalled. When Stirling jumped up and said I’ll take him. Who was looking for men just like Mayne for the special forces.

Thomaston
    Participant

@Greg
    I feel like there’s a pattern here. Men with dogs are scary people.

@Guy

I don’t know about exorcising the dice. I think the dice god hates me too much to let me off that easily.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thomaston
    Participant

2SEXY Adventure: A Slow Burn Story

Suspected Organic Agriculture Promotion Agency organic manure convoy travelling through the region. HQ wants the shipment stopped. Possibly destroy a bridge the convoy will be traveling across.

2SEXY getting ready, the mission sounded stright forward and easy enough. Wait for the convoy use a few explosives, shoot a few rounds to make it look like a serious fight and go home.

Took a helo for a scenic time low over Isla Ilha Island.

Found a good observation point but it was too far away to effectively engage targets.

Waited all day under the burning sun but the only thing that showed up was a HVT joyriding in his souped up SUV. True to form, 2SEXY managed to put a few holes into the vehicle but didn’t get the HVT.

So it turned out the convoy was a red herring. On the way back she spotted something important looking and decided to investigate. A stand alone 3-storie building an a satelite dish, looks very important. They even have a helo parked next to the building. And it’s raining.

Feeling underdressed for a breach and clear she went back to the safehouse and got changed into some rain proof assault outfit. It was getting dark and she’d like to get something done before the mosquitos came out.

The plan was simple, fast-rope on to the top floor and work her way down.

Top floor was anti-climatic. No one was home and they even left the lights on, nothing makes her more furious than people leaving the lights on. who knows how long it had been on for, think of the amount of energy being wasted. In this day and age when polution and dwindeling resource…………..

Anyyyyywaaay, in her eco rage 2SEXY absailed to the second floor balcony and made a breach.

A lot of shooting ensued, but mostly because one guy was hiding behind a server rack that was much better at stopping bullets than she expected. Got to remember, 5.56 don’t go through server racks. Wasted half a magazine on that thing.

Three bad guys down on the second floor, she works her way downstairs. Taking a hit in her plate carrier. Four more on the bottom floor makes seven tangos total.

It was an impressive cache of digital intel. Too bad she had no idea on how to exploit it and as far as she knew none of the other are computer literate either.

Loaded up on the helo and going home, feeling happy about herself bagging seven tangos eventhough the convoy mission was a bust.

The little island safehouse.

Home, sweet home. Just in time for bed.

My new way of playing a solo RPG. Maybe this can be called computer assisted RPG?

Rolled on the mission table to destroy a bridge. When the convoy didn’t show up I rolled for complications and it was a redherring. went loking for trouble elsewhere instead. I should have posted this in the computer games section but it’s a continuation of the Slow Burn story. I actually had an idea of doing this before starting Slow Burn.

STD team was based on my characters in the game. Unfortunately the game doesn’t do left handed except when aiming.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

greg954
    Participant

Haha, works quite well I thought. 2Sexy did well, but I’m not sure 4Play will do well if he featured in a short story.

Thomaston
    Participant

I think 4Play would need a game like sim hospital.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

madman
    Participant

Very interesting turn on the way of playing the game. Keep the ideas coming they are great!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Really cool.  And a great way to add flavor to the campaign.

What’s the video game you’re using?

Thomaston
    Participant

@DSG
    The game is Ghost Recon Wildlands.
    I’ve pretty much narrowed down all my gaming to 2 games, this and Mount & Blade II Bannerlord. Both are sandboxes that allow me to do my own thing. Bannerlord is much better because it allows modding so I can do more int hat game. Occasionally I jump back into War Thunder for some flying but I can’t stand that game for long.

@Stephen

One of these days I’m gonna take up LARP. 1LOVE, 3SOME and 4PLAY is fine but I don’t feel like putting on a wig and play as 2SEXY. Also, UK law on firearms replica makes it iffy.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Just Jack
    Participant

It’s cool for a one-off, but back to the minis!   Please 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Haven’t tried GR:W yet, but I loooove Bannerlord 2 (can’t wait for full implementation) and I’ve played War Thunder for yeeeeears.  Still don’t have much Tier 5 stuff, I went casual a few years back and since then (and no premium account) getting new high-tier planes and tanks is a serious grind.

Thomaston
    Participant

War Thunder
    I think the furthest I got was the beginning of Tier IV. Was trying to get the bearcats. Lost that account now so I’m just flying reserve planes. Anything higher than F2A irritates me too much with the inconsistent flight models. Hopped back in last week, I lasted 2 days before rage quitting, getting reminded how overpowered I-153 is. The worst thing about War Thunder is, I can’t add my own aircraft and doubt Gaijin will add more biplanes. For tanks I stuck to my trusty PzII and still waiting for them to add Sdkfz 222, but I really like the L60 in the Swede tree.

Have you tried their blue water warships? I think the aiming is unintuitive. I can see a lot of design elements forcing you to grind to improve accuracy etc.

As much as I like Wildlands I don’t recommend it. Its the best option out there but not a really good one in and of itself. Mostly its because Ubisoft implemented updates (they’ve stopped updating it now) in a way that makes me think they either hate their customers or lack commonsense. The next game up Breakpoint is even worst. I’m tempted to go back to Arma 2.

Bannerlord
    Horse riding and hacking people, what more can you ask for. Actually, an open world like Kingdomcome Deliverance would be nice for role play, but I’m not complaining.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’m with you on WT, and their match making is a mess.  I just got a Panther 2 and am going up against Challengers with thermo and getting drilled from across the map by tanks I can’t even see through the foliage.  the lower tier stuff is way more fun.  In the mid tiers the Italian line is just nuts, fast armored cars with multi 1 shot kill Recoilless rifles!  And plane wise, there’s always that one ass that sits high above the spawn and dive-kills you as soon as you spawn in his Mig-15 or Me109K… I really enjoyed the Russian T-50 and t-34 with the 57mm until they nerfed and up-ranked them.  Now they have them facing 76mm Shermans, who for some reason they put up against t-62s, M-60s and Leopard 1s?  NOPE!  Sometimes it makes me want to go back to WoT!  (no, not really, never that!)

Bannerlord is a hoot, especially the crazy 400vs400 battles, just nuts!  (Vlandia all the way!) KC:D is a brilliant game with great voice acting, I am really looking forwards to the next installment.

Thomaston
    Participant

Oh yeah! Vlandia, the forever sunny Charas.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thomaston
    Participant

Zero Dark After Bedtime
    Somewhere in the southern hemisphere

Girl Scouts Inteligence tracked a counterfiet cookie factory to a remote jungle settlement. They’ve managed to narrow down likely locations to two buildings, and its up to the Special Activities Girls from Troop 1337 to raid the illegal factory and put a stop to the fake girl scouts cookies ring.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

madman
    Participant

Ooohh, here we go again. Whee!

Thomaston
    Participant

So I did a long write up for this but hit the back button and lost it all.

Here’s the shorter version.

The team and their gear

Blondie
    Helmet + NVG
    Plate Carrier
    Carbine + x4 scope + suppressor
    Pistol

Pony
    Helmet + NVG
    Plate Carrier
    Assault pack
    Carbine + x4 scope + suppressor
    Pistol

Lefty
    Helmet + NVG
    Plate Carrier
    Assault pack
    Carbine
    Pistol

“Slow is smooth! Smooth is fast” -motto of the Girl Scouts.

The girls circled to the East so they wouldn’t get caught in the middle of a hornet’s nest if things went bad. Pony led the way, making good progress but the other girls took their time and haven’t even moved when they hear noises converging around them.

The noises turned out to be local gan patrols. One guy turning the corner confronting Pony face to face. At the point blank the darkness couldn’t hide Pony. He only had a pistol vs her carbine but he was faster and put a whole bunch of bullets into her plate carrier. Pony staggered, unable to shoot back. Another gunman spotted Blondie and Lefty and upon hearing gunfire also took shots at them, missing them. Blondie shot back too, but her weapon was setup for longer range and she shot high by a good margin. Another ganger came rushing at them holding a bigger more dangerous looking gun.

The close range exchange went on for a while until the ganger at the rear rushed Blondie and got a very closeup inspection of her weapons buttstock. The other gunman shot at them but the recoil of his weapon sent his aim climbing into the night sky. Lefty seeing the fight was short range, stowed her carbine and unholstered her pistol.

The remaining ganger in the blue shirt shot at Blondie and Lefty some more before deciding hand to hand was a better option. He charged, taking advantage of Blondie switching to her pistol, and got a good bootprint to the face.

Elsewhere Pony also switched to her pistol and was having a comical exchange with her opponent, making the other duck for cover before reversing the roles.

With their opponents eliminated, Blondie followed Pony. She just about saw Pony’s back when Lefty rush by her, flanking far into the trees to get a clear shot. Blondie was puzzled by the new girl, simply side-stepping to Pony’s side and took shots at ganger. She narrowly missed him, sending the map into cover, while something moved out from between the huts. Luckily it was only a stray cat. Pony joined on the bullet powered bullying and unloaded her magazine into the cowering gunman.

His on adrenaline, she then led a one girl charge, moving fast and well ahead of the others to the closest objective building. Kicking in the door and clearing the building. “This isnt the cookie factory you’re loking for!” said a man tied to a chair. He was a creep, introducing himself as 4PLAY. He told her his captors had been using him as cookie taster and he was sure the real factory was nearby, he could always smell it when they were baking. Pony cut the man loose in return for the intel.

Continuing her rush, Pony rounded a corner and spotted a ganger. he hadn’t seen her and she was about to attack when a civilian casually walked out from behind a building, passed the ganer and convieniently blocked her line of fire. The gunman watched the night stroller go by and finally saw Pony, he tried to take a shot at her but pulled the trigger a little too early, killinging the dirt by his feet.

The civilian ran for cover as the ganger decided to charge Pony, running up to her only to get hit in the face by her pistol.

Things went smoothly from there. Blondie and Lefty caught up with Pony. They all stacked up before storming the building, finding the counterfiet cookie factory. Pony and Lefty grabbed all the all important cookie cutters, filling their pack with the illegal pattern before destroying the kitchen. They quietly extracted, peddling their bicycle as fast as they could to ditch the creepy guy trying to tag along.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

madman
    Participant

Gems!

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Noice.  No GS got shot down and 4play is on the loose again.  Good times ahead.

Just Jack
    Participant

Entertaining as always, and I simply can’t say enough about the threat posed by illegal cookie cutter patterns 😉

No gaming this past weekend, too much baseball going on.

V/R,

Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

@DSG
    It didn’t go that well. The longer write up had more details. Pony took a second hit that would have resulted in her death just before Blondie caught up to her. I cheated giving her a pass because the previous turn she would have killed the guy if I haven’t forgotten to apply her weapon proficiency.

As a game it went well for the Girl Scouts. As a test of my houserules it was pretty bad.
    All the Girl Scouts had an activation of 4+ or 5+ giving them a simgle action each turn most of the time. I spent it shooting at the gang patrol or switching weapons so they were pretty static. Kind of ok since they were pretty heavily loaded with gear. Poney did roll double 6s at the end though, giving her 4 actions, resulting in the mad rush at the end. I should have given them all different amount of gear so I could see how different loads worked in actual play.

Another problem was unlike before where my games lacked terrain, this one was full of it and theonly weapon that was effective at the range was their pistols or going ahnd to hand. The Girl Scouts shoudl have rushed the patrol instead of wasting time switching weapons. Lessons learned.

@Jack
    I like to think the Girl Scouts has a monopoly on cookies. Anyone baking cookies without a liscence or being subcontracted were breaking their self enforced law. They down doors, raided some poor family’s kitchen and happened to find some incriminating cookie cutters. The poor family thought they were safe in the middle of a jungle but Girl Scouts are very protective of their monopoly.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Just Jack
    Participant

I absolutely loved the new terrain, it looks great, and definitely gotta be mindful of violating GS’ recipetorial sovereignty, the training those young ladies get is fierce, surpassed only by their thirst for blood once the line has been crossed.

Lots of fun, as always.

V/R,

Jack

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.