Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Prussian Carmine

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

So I’m about to start my second half of my Grenadier battalion, it’s from the 37th regiment, which has Carmine colour, on my plate’s it looks almost reddish purple. But googling the color gives a more classic red red.

What exactly is the proper colour?

Participant

The derivation of the word is from cochineal, hence the colour of that dye. Unfortunately the dyed cloth can take a range of colours depending on the method used. All are, however, on the blue side of red and usually a bit below 100% saturation (i.e. they tend to be darkish rather than light).

The term was used in medieval times to refer to blood colour along with sanguine and crimson, they probably didn’t distinguish between them as we might today.

Don’t assume that a modern usage of a colour name is also its historical usage, though it is probably close in this case.

If it were me I’d go for a deepish red with a purple cast, bright but not brilliant.

Participant

Did that help?

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Participant

You might want to take a look at https://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Prussia/infantry/Schema/c_Schema1.html  The red appears to be characterized by its darkness, as much as anything,

Participant

Allowing for the fact that colours don’t always show the same on different screens, this isn’t far from what I’d use. I’d make it a bit brighter simply because it is on a model. Personally I wouldn’t say it was dark, that implies a browner or blacker colour IMHO – but these things are subjective.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.