Home Forums Air and Sea Naval PT Boats in the Med – a selection of 1943 scenarios for Cruel Seas

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Russell Phillips
    Participant

There’s a new article on the SOTCW website.

PT Boats in the Med – a selection of 1943 scenarios for Cruel Seas

PT Boats in the Med – a selection of 1943 scenarios for Cruel Seas

Military history author

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Very useful, thank you.  There’s another article on that website entitled Das Mittelmeer which also contains a selection of scenarios for Cruel Seas.

Having recently been introduced to the Too Fat Lardies coastal game, Coastal Patrol, published in their Summer 2011 “Special”, I have downloaded both of these articles for future adaptation.  The TFL offering is much more a “beer and pretzels” type of game, without any of the serious detail of many coastal warfare rule sets, which – to my mind – makes it much better suited to newcomers (like me) to naval wargaming, especially if (again like me) you are a lifelong landlubber who doesn’t know his spanker from his torpedo tube.

I did recently buy a second hand Cruel Seas starter box, along with an extra pair of S-boats and a pair of Fairmile Ds to beef up the RN contingent, and quite frankly I have really enjoyed putting the vessels together.  However, I don’t think I’m going to go much beyond this in 1:300 as I think the scale is a little too large for more than a “starter pack plus” action, or else it all begins to take on the appearance of an ugly brawl in a crowded marina.  Once a scenario brings in destroyers and the like, I find 1:600 is essential if you want to use a normal size dining table and still keep distances “realistic”.

What do other people think?

Russell Phillips
    Participant

I’m glad you found it (and Das Mittelmeer) useful, Brendan. I don’t play naval games, so can’t really comment on your other points. I just run the website for the SOTCW 🙂

Military history author

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Just learned that there were three PT Boat squadrons serving in the Med, all under Royal Navy direction – 15 and 22 (both operating 78′ Higgins’ boats) and 29 (77′ Elcos).  Because of their radar capability, it was not uncommon for an RN commander of a mixed force to command from one of the PT Boats.

Mike Headden
    Participant

Brendan, I play my Cruel Seas games in 1:600 and find that suits me well.

See https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/cruel-seas-in-1-600/ for pictures of my stuff.

I have a  resin 1:700 British Monitor “Roberts” which servers occasionally as either a target or a floating gun battery, though the model is still shamefully unpainted. That’s about as big a model as I’d want on the table.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Brendan Morrissey
    Participant

Thanks – I really like the simplicity of your stuff and especially the basing.  As someone who is drawn to the game more than to the actual subject matter, I don’t want to get too involved with lots of books etc, so this approach is perfect for me.  The largest ship in the two articles/49 scenarios highlighted above is an Italian light cruiser, then a bunch of destroyers, a bunch of minesweepers, and finally some submarines.  Everything else seems to be manageable in 1:300 as far as I can see (my regular gaming partner will soon be blessed with a 12′ by 6′ table area, so we’re less worried about elbow room than we were).

Thanks once again for posting.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.