Home Forums Alternate History Pulp Pulp Wargaming – a quick overview

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    DavyJones
    Participant

Pulp is one of my favorite settings in our hobby. To help beginners starting their adventures, I wrote a series of posts about the whole genre. The series will cover rule sets, sources of inspiration and miniatures for specific genres. The first post tries to explain what pulp is. Or more specific, my understanding of the term. I hope you like it and as always, any comments are appreciated!

Mike
    Keymaster

Very cool.

I consider my 15mm fantasy games to be quite pulpy.

Patrice
    Participant

Interesting! I’ll follow this.

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Bill Bartlett
    Participant

That’s a pretty good overview of Pulp. I think much the same as you. The genre can’t be horned into a narrow niche. It covers everything from Cthulhu to Bond to Indiana Jones to Conan the Barbarian to Buck Rogers to The Shadow or Fu Manchu. A good set of rules for Pulp will play all those different stories, one as well as another. I’ll be following along, thanks posting.

regards, Bill

DavyJones
    Participant

Thanks for the comments guys. That should keep me motivated. 

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Yes, please do keep going. I’d love to see your list of rules/games and thoughts on them.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

OldBen1
    Participant

Great overview.

JozisTinMan
    Participant

I’ll chime in, keep it up! I will follow with interest

http://jozistinman.blogspot.com/

DavyJones
    Participant

It has been a while, but the second post of the series is online now! I hope you like it. And as always, I highly appreciated any comments.

Mike
    Keymaster

Interesting. For me once you get into the realms of hit locations on a human body you have moved from wargaming into roleplaying.

Rhoderic
    Participant

For me once you get into the realms of hit locations on a human body you have moved from wargaming into roleplaying.

That’s part of the very premise of the Rattrap Productions series of games, to which .45 Adventure belongs. They’re very much hybrid games, but still not quite to the point of being 50-50.

I was a big fan of those games when they were new, but I admit now that they have their flaws. One problem is that a head injury only affects the intelligence stat, not the character’s ability to fight, shoot, run or anything else. Similarly a leg injury doesn’t affect melee fighting ability, as if legwork has no bearing on combat.

I’ve heard lots and lots of good things about Pulp Alley, and the father-daughter team that’s designed it are very cool people, so I’ve been wanting to try it for years. .45 Adventure was a popular game for a while but Pulp Alley blew it out of the water.

DavyJones
    Participant

@Rhoderic: I can’t recommend Pulp Alley highly enough. It is for sure a great game!

@Mike: I agree. For me, stuff like hitting certain body parts is a little bit too much. I prefer game mechanics that are slick and fast.

DavyJones
    Participant

Wrote another post for my pulp wargaming series: http://glueanddice.com/top-10-pulp-movies-for-wargaming/

Hope you like it!

Mike
    Keymaster

Yes, I watched the Mummy the night before last, The Mummy Returns last night and the third one never!
    King Kong with Jack Black is also excellent!

Thomaston
    Participant

Thanks for this, I have a better idea of what pulp gaming is and got the demo version of both Pulp Alley and .45 Adventures. Will read the rules but will probably see if I can incorporate them into the current frankenstein rule I’m using.

Tired is enough.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Wrote another post for my pulp wargaming series: http://glueanddice.com/top-10-pulp-movies-for-wargaming/ Hope you like it!

I really did like the Tintin movie myself. Ignoring the overly cartoony bits, it really was an inspirational pulp genre romp. As for those cartoony bits. even they were enjoyable to me in and of themselves – just not useful as inspiration.

Unlike many other Europeans I’m not very well versed in the whole Tintin franchise (I remember it from my childhood, but not in great detail, and although I’ve set out to re-immerse myself in it more recently, I’ve not gotten far), but one thing I find intriguing about it is the way it effortlessly carries the general theme of pulp adventure past the “golden age” of the interwar years into the 1950s and 60s. It feels counterintuitive, but it works.

I draw the line at the end of the 60s, though. Been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and although I like the theme of modern-day action heroes in the jungle, the merging of classic pulp elements (undiscovered ruins, isolated vestigial civilisations, crypto-hominids, etc) with a modern setting doesn’t work for me.

But I digress. Sorry.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Cthulhu Pulp have adventures that could be used for other rules systems.

Thomaston
    Participant

Have to confess I’ve always steered clear of anything with the world pulp in it, orange juice with pulp, PulP Fiction, pulp novels. After reading your links, I’m still a little cloudy about what pulp really is but I have a better idea now. I might try out pulp novels and orange juice with pulp when I have the chance but still a hard no on Pulp Fiction.

Really like the look of Pulp Alley rules, the health mechanic is what got me. Feels like it’ll give a real rick reward feel to actions and I think it represents injury pretty well.

Thanks.

Tired is enough.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Have to confess I’ve always steered clear of anything with the world pulp in it, orange juice with pulp, PulP Fiction, pulp novels. After reading your links, I’m still a little cloudy about what pulp really is but I have a better idea now. I might try out pulp novels and orange juice with pulp when I have the chance but still a hard no on Pulp Fiction.

Outside of the miniatures, roleplaying and adventure gaming communities, one sometimes hears the word pulp being used for any and all kinds of cheap fiction in primarily book form. Bodice rippers, whodunits, westerns, formulaic spy thrillers, third-rate fantasy novels, lurid horror stories, Bridget Jones’s Diary cash-ins, novelisations of blockbuster movies, all of it. You know, airport lit. I haven’t seen the movie Pulp Fiction either but I expect the title is in reference to that definition of pulp.

In the gaming communities, one rarely comes across this broad definition of the word. To us it’s Indiana Jones and The Phantom battling Mekong River pirates. And maybe prohibition-era gangster stories, if they’re sensationalist and unrealistic enough (i.e. not Boardwalk Empire).

Angel Barracks

Outside of the miniatures, roleplaying and adventure gaming communities, one sometimes hears the word pulp being used for any and all kinds of cheap fiction in primarily book form. Bodice rippers, whodunits, westerns, formulaic spy thrillers, third-rate fantasy novels,

I would class my Burning Sands games as pulp.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Outside of the miniatures, roleplaying and adventure gaming communities, one sometimes hears the word pulp being used for any and all kinds of cheap fiction in primarily book form. Bodice rippers, whodunits, westerns, formulaic spy thrillers, third-rate fantasy novels,

I would class my Burning Sands games as pulp.

Second-rate, then 

Seriously though, what I mean by “third-rate fantasy” is the kind of fantasy novels that one seems to only ever come across in airport bookshops, next to the bodice rippers (which also seem to only exist in those places).

I know that classic, REH-esque swords-and-sorcery is also “pulp fantasy” by another term, and Lovecraftian horror is “pulp horror”, but those are adjuncts of the narrower definition of pulp, largely because they stem from the same interwar tradition of fiction as Doc Savage and all that.

Thomaston
    Participant

From the examples above I’m tempted to say pulp involves larger than life and cavalier characters, but that’s too broad. Maybe something with damsel in distress or does womanizing man of action protagonist fit better. Is Sharpe pulp?

Burning Sand, definitely feels pulp. Is Conan pulp?

Tired is enough.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Is Sharpe pulp? […] Is Conan pulp?

Personally, I would need the Sharpe stories to correspond more closely to early-mid 20th century conventions of “cheap thrills”-style swashbuckling adventure fiction, for me to comfortably call it pulp. Zorro is pulp. Rafael Sabatini’s stories (Captain Blood, Scaramouche, etc) are closer to the pulp ideal than Bernard Cornwell’s are, and I’d still hesitate to define Sabatini as a pulp writer, although there is some contact surface at least.

Conan is pulp, pulp fantasy, whatever. At least as originally devised by REH.

As another example, I think early Batman is pulp (keep in mind he’s all the way from 1939), but modern Batman isn’t, or at least he’s less so.

telzy amber
    Participant

Early Batman, and most superhero comics, are pulp till the end of the 1960s.  Late sixties and comics begin to ‘evolve’

The Tin Tin animated series are Pulp. Great stuff.

Perhaps because I haven’t played Pulp Alley it doesn’t intrigue me.  Plot points randomly placed around the board and the various teams race about trying to scoop them up. Pulp needs a protagonist and a villain.  They need some backstory.

Thomaston
    Participant

“Cheap Thrills” I like this description the most.

Tired is enough.

DavyJones
    Participant

Wow, some great comments here. Thanks.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.