Home Forums Modern QRF – what do you want next

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Wirh the Canadian infantry now in mould, and enough expansion packs produced (or on the way) to make them useable for Dutch, Belgian, Luxembourg and possibly other generic nations including Mexico, Pakistan and Norway, in now looking at the next big project.

I have lots still on the go, Canadian Cougars and Grizzlys, Dutch M113 C&V, a massive range of YPR765 and YP408 variants, the Leopard 1A5, Leopard 1-V, Canadian Leopard C1 and C2, any the CV90 range (plus a few other surprises)

But where would you like us to go next? Norwegians, Danes and Swedes? Replace and expand the Americans? The great Antarctic conflict of ’79? A generic WP range suitable for Poles, Czechs, Hungarians and other WP nations (as well as more generic uses around the world)?

QRF is all self funded. Despite appearances, it essentially comprises just me (and I work full time, making models in my evenings and weekends) and Chas (in our little rented production unit most days, making new moulds, casting and packing).

We don’t kickstart or crowd fund. Everything we produce is made by our own hands or paid for from our own pockets. We take the risk of investment as part of the cost of business, and don’t place that risk on our customers. Sometimes we get it right and customers buy what we wanted to make. Sometimes less so and it can take a year or two to make our money back. We have learnt that what customers say they want, and even say they are willing to commission, isn’t always what they would actually buy (which is another reason we don’t kickstart). We actually don’t take any profit out of the company either; everything we make goes into overheads and investment in new items. That’s why we don’t have expensive glossy packaging that you would only throw away 😉

Normally we make what we want, whatever we are inspired to make either because of a film we’ve seen (expect the new ‘Canadians’ to get berets added so you can play the Seige at Jadinot), a book we’ve read, or an army list we’ve been looking through. Ordinarily we find that making what we wanted to see had much better results than asking customers. But every now and then we like to ask. We try to filter out the louder noise of a few in favour of the quieter rumbles of the wider wargames market and hopefully produce something you didn’t know you wanted, but now just must have!

QRF Models Limited
    www.quickreactionforce.co.uk

Keymaster

Normally we make what we want, whatever we are inspired to make either because of a film we’ve seen

Me too!

🙂

Participant

That’s awesome news can’t wait to buy all of it.  But I need USMC SMAW in 15mm for the Cold War, is that possible?

Participant

You know how you do those flexible fields? Flexible “rough ground” (stones/scree/rocks) and “wooded area”. (The latter can then have model trees put on top). They can then be draped over TSS hills to add features.

Participant

Hi Geoff,

I don’t know that there would be huge demand for these, but here are things that I would love to have:

1970’s Cold War US infantry – wearing OG107 uniform and M1 helmet carrying M16A1/A2, M79 GL (and a pack with M16/M203 combo), M67 90mm recoilless, M47 Dragon, M60 GPMG.  Probably a mix of M1956 LCE/MLCE/ and ALICE gear.   Basically US for Europe 1970-1982 and maybe a little beyond.

Early-mid 1980’s US infantry with PASGT helmet & vest, ALICE gear, M16, M60, M47 etc.

1970s Cold War French infantry – with MAS49/56 rifle, F1 helmet, M20 or possibly M9 bazooka.

A pack of Soviet figures for Afghanistan conducting mine clearing.  Maybe a guy with a mine detector, another standing with a stick probe, and maybe one crouching, marking or digging a mine out.  Perfect ambush victims.

Something else I would ask that you consider for some of your Cold War to modern infantry lines is a pack with maybe four additional poses, maybe call them “squad leaders” or something along those lines.  Maybe a couple of figs crouching giving a hand single maybe, and a couple standing doing similar or with a map or binoculars in hand.  For those of us that mount infantry individually and try to identify fire team and squads leaders and whatnot, the extra poses would help.  I generally build at least company sized formations, which results in a lot of the figs being a fairly small number of poses. Plus, I can’t imagine that anyone would not appreciate additional poses.

Four aircraft; Mig27, A4E Skyhawk, Super Etendard, Super Frelon

And as always, East Germans.  If you make them, I will buy them, though I know that I might be the only one.

Participant

IrishM: yes, probably. I presume you are looking for the SMAW to go with our current modern range?

Katie: Nice idea, I’ll pass it to Chas

IrishS: I’m looking at the Cold War era US at the moment. The switch from LCE to ALICE half way is a pain but a 1970-1980 range is a possibility, along with the French (usable in info-china too)

The mineclearing pack is nice, but again when I do the Cold War soviets as a range (which may be soon)

I do usually add a ‘command’ pack to the range, which has 3 random poses in 8 figures, to be used as section/squad, platoon or company commanders

Noted on the aircraft

And I was just toying with the East German helmet, as I’m not sure the Ines I have seen really have the shape right, but I’m trying to make sure I can do better!

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Geoff,

Re-modelled and expanded US for me, please (especially ‘pre-Kevlar’)!

I’d also appreciate a limited OT-64/SKOT range:

OT-64 or SKOT-1 (turretless with pintle LMG or HMG options)

SKOT-2 (turretless, though with a superstructure and pintle LMG or HMG)

VSOT-64/R2 or SKOT-R2 (command variant of SKOT-2)

OT-64A or SKOT-2A (SKOT-2 with BPU 14.5mm turret, as fitted to BRDM-2 and BTR-60PB)

SKOT-2AP (SKOT-2 with bespoke high-angle 14.5mm turret)

NB The OT-64 designations are Czech.  The SKOT designations are Polish.  Some Polish SKOT variants were not used by the Czechs.

While you’re doing the SMAW, could you also do a USMC FLASH incendiary rocket launcher bloke?

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Participant

Yes not forgotten the SKOT or the Dana.

The M202 Flash looks like it would be late 1970-early 1980s?

While you’re here Jemima, on the Dutch lists you refer to the 3/4 ton llightweight, but the references I have seem to point to them using the 1/2 ton? (Actually, references to a 3/4 lightweight seem to suggest it was an unusual build and the 1/2 was the standard). Is that an error or am I missing something? (Just looking at adding then, mainly because my new lady lives in Doorn where the Dutch Marines are based!)

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Sorry!  Typo caused by cut’n’paste.  Should be 1/2-tonners.

Participant

Excellent, I will make some modifications to our lightweights to add them to the Dutch lists then

QRF Models Limited

Participant

I would love some modern Chinese, and even some modern Japanese.

I wouldn’t say no to any late cold war British Para pathfinders in berets either.

Participant

Yes, the M202 Flash was used by the USMC infantry battalions from the late 70s until the mid 80s, when it was replaced by SMAW.  However, it’s apparently continued to be used by Special Forces.

Coming back to something discussed earlier: Are you doing Blindicide blokes for the Belgians?

Participant

Yes, and packs with Stinger and Javelin so you can choose the correct SAM.

Just working on the Dragon team and Uzi

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Geoff,

Just wanted to say that the new miniatures that you guys are making is absolutely wonderful, and the considerations for new products are much appreciated.

Adjusting my future plans accordingly, and looking forward to all of the new stuff.

irishserb

Participant

Tidy! 🙂

Participant

Thanks, it is nice to have our hard work appreciated.

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Geoff:

I would like to second the call for the OT-64A/SKOT-2A and would add a turreted OT-65 to the mix. But I’m delirious that Cougars, Grizzlies and LAV III’s are in the pipeline so I will not be greedy. If it’s not too niche a product (and it probably is) an M-113 TUA suitable for Norwegian and Canadian use might be nice. Another possibility would be the Iltis Jeep. Way out on the galactic rim of niche markets might be the ADATS SPSAM/SPATGM system.

Geoff and Chas, thanks for doing such a fine job and being so responsive to the desires of the gaming community. You do the hobby proud and your efforts are most appreciated. Bravo gents.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Actually the ADATS is on the way, and the Thule TUA turret is part of the Canadian and Norwegian vehicle list (because the Thule TOW turret is also fitted to the LAV III) 😉

QRF Models Limited

Participant

You know how you do those flexible fields? Flexible “rough ground” (stones/scree/rocks) and “wooded area”. (The latter can then have model trees put on top). They can then be draped over TSS hills to add features.

Turns out we already do some 🙂

http://totalsystemscenic.com/product-category/rubber-roads-rivers-and-fields/rubber-roads-rivers-and-fields-fields/

(Scroll to the bottom)

R00RR003 - Rocky Ground C R00RR002 - Rocky Ground B R00RR005 - Rocky Ground E R00RR001 - Rocky Ground A

QRF Models Limited

Participant

Oh!!!  I thought they were the same as the resin ones! (Very nice and paint up well but not bendy :-).

V.Sorry. I’ll sort out ordering some then….

Forest floor ones would also be neat!

Participant

Oh, how could I forget?  Another vote for the turreted OT-65.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.