Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Quaker is Five Parsecs From Home

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I’m a huge fan of small scale skirmish so I was intrigued when I heard about Five Parsecs From Home. The examples on Wargames Vault didn’t really sell me on the system, but when I read Spacejacker’s campaign I knew I wanted in. So while I wait on my order of Khurasan goodies I decided to build a variant of Spacejacker’s modular interiors.

The main change I made was to make more tiles with corridors, as this allows a bit more variance in the size of the rooms.

Participant

These look really great!

How did you plan it out?  Can they be put in any position?

What did you use for the floors?

ClearHorizon Miniatures - 15mm Sci-Fi
    http://www.clearhorizonminiatures.com

I took the designs from Spacejacker’s version and copied them on to small paper squares that I played around with until I had a set of designs that I liked. The final product is a bit rough and more planning would have built a better product. eg I had to add spacers to the edge of the walls on the double corridor tile as otherwise it left a gap when put next to the “shop front” tiles. However, this leads to the spacer sticking into the large doorway of the plain room tiles. Also, the floor patterns are all over the place as I just did what I felt like without worrying much about matching other tiles, I’m calling it decorative patterning.

As for tile positioning they are usually fine as long as you don’t but two walls parallel as that leads to doors to nowhere (something that could have been fixed with more planning). There is a huge amount of variety that can be achieved, from small rooms and long corridors, to large open offices, to an outdoor plaza.

The base was corkboard (easier to cut than MDF) and the floors are just carboard.

Participant

Thanks for buying 🙂

I’ve been really tempted to build a terrain set like this myself. I think you strike a good balance between having enough rooms to make it interesting and still having good space to reach in and move the figures.

A LOT of people are doing this in 15mm, which warms my heart 🙂 How big is your board when it’s all set up?

I am looking at doing the same for my FPSFH games but I lack any form of ability to make things. I did get some of the WorldWorks scifi settings but it looks like the glue has decayed over time so Im simply going to tape them with sticky tape. The only problem with card scenery is when the cat decides to jump on the table.

Participant

Look cool !!

@Ivan

They are 6″ square tiles, so it is 18″ square all up. A small area, but with the Five Parsecs from Home cover mechanic I think that is a good size. Any larger and I think a 4-5 man team would have too much ground to cover.

@Dr Jackson

I’m not that well endowed with manually skills myself. The fit & finish of my version is a lot rougher than Spacejacker’s (eg I didn’t do bezeled doorways), but it wasn’t too hard to do with a steel ruler and a sharp knife.

Participant

Sounds nice. You might want to make the Bail distance a bit smaller. D6+6″ instead of 12″ will avoid guys fleeing out of the starport 🙂

Participant

Looking good. Been daydreaming about doing this myself since I saw Spacejacker’s layout. Can’t decide whether to go 15mm or upscale the concept to 28mm. I even considered 6mm!

Still deciding on whether to go Five Parsecs or not (sorry Ivan!) 🙂

Participant

Looking good. Been daydreaming about doing this myself since I saw Spacejacker’s layout. Can’t decide whether to go 15mm or upscale the concept to 28mm. I even considered 6mm! Still deciding on whether to go Five Parsecs or not (sorry Ivan!) :)

No worries 🙂

Any questions or concerns holding you back or just the usual gamer situation of too many games, too little time? 🙂

Participant

Great work on those interiors. Looking forwards to seeing more.

[Need to know more intensifies]

I’ve added a light switch and vent to each tile (the texture didn’t come out in the photo, I need to break out my DSLR). Which I think makes them feel much more like real spaces.

I’ve also knocked up some engineering props out of spares from a Pegasus hobbies chemical plant kit.

I’ve also ordered some office furniture from Mad Mecha Guy.

Participant

too many games, too little time? :)

Oh yes. But just read your post on the upcoming supplement. I’m starting to waver…

UNITY SpecOps (Athenian) team.

Athenian teams are composed of psychically active human females. They specialize in low intensity operations such as long range recon and quasi-law enforcement activities such as fugitive apprehension. They wear an adaptive camouflage suit, shown here in parade colors, and are equipped with light beam rifles and auto-grenade launchers.

This was my first attempt at highlighting by paint mixing. Normally I am a wuss and just use standard colors.

I think the purple mostly worked well, but the final highlight could have been a bit lighter.

The highlighting the red didn’t work for the most part. My attempts at making the red lighter just ended up pink.

I also need a better light to paint with as I can’t make out the fine details with just my room light.

Figures are Critical Mass Games Vadorian Assasins

Participant

If you can use sunlight from a window. Or paint outside.  Er if you can.

The crew of the CTV Conrad.

I think I am getting the hang of high lighting.

Participant

Coming along very nicely 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.