Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Radio Commander

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Watched a friend (streaming) play a new game called “Radio Commander” where you play a US infantry company commander during the Vietnam war.  You are basically in a bunker/CP on a firebase and trying to run your company by using nothing but a radio and a map.  While I haven’t given it a go it seemed really tense and realistic.  The jargon was spot on and it was gripping trying to figure out what was really going on, though some of the voice acting was wooden, with sentences spliced together sometimes giving very odd inflections.  It looked like the interface was a bit clunky, and there’s no way to cancel orders once given.  He had an incident where he accidentally had some of his troops engage some snipers and somehow the interpretation was to charge them, meanwhile an artillery strike came in… you can guess how badly that went.

Seems a really interesting and realistic concept.  Hearing the firefight over the radio was intense, as were the pleas for wounded evac.  Might get it myself after checking more deeply into it, as it almost seemed sort of early-access.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

I’ve had my eyes on this as well but didn’t have much to say since I haven’t played it yet.
    I want to see how the game really worked in th decision making loop for miniature games ideas.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Seems to me like there is a limitation to the actions you can have your troops do as it seems story driven.  I’m not sure if it would allow you to go totally off the rails and run your guys around at will, seems very scenario specific.  It kind of reminds me of FNG:Operations that I wrote way back when but with a more blind element.  (note to self, need to really overhaul that game!)

Thomaston
    Participant

I was planning to get ideas to use with FNG Operations. I liked that rules, the only bad thing I remembered was not able to play hot war combined arms with it.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Oh, no, it’s not designed for that, but very Vietnam specific for area pacification.  I’m reworking Over Green Hell and that might be usable for that sort of thing, but it will still meant to be Vietnam-centric.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.