Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket Rajah Brooke in 15mm

• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Paul.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Paul
    Participant

Having recently re-read Flashman’s Lady and being in a 15mm Victorian phase at the moment, I am thinking of putting together forces for Rajah Brooke’s adventures. I plan to scratchbuild all the vessels myself, but need figures: British sailors, Dyak headhunters, pirates, etc. I know that London War Room did a range before they went belly up – does anyone have an idea where the moulds are, or have any ideas for alternatives? Thanks in advance.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

malc johnston
    Participant

Wish i could help you but i havent got a clue, great help i am

Willyoupleasehelpmefixmykeyboard?Thespacebarisbroken!

Paul
    Participant

Well Malc, my mom always used to say that it’s the thought that counts so it’s ok. Going to start with scratchbuilding some dayak war praus and will use Eureka Hawaiians and Grumpy Indonesians as stand ins for Dayak warriors. Will see about Brit sailors and Chinese pirates as I go along. Hopefully will get to start on the scratchbuilds this week – will post pics if I get anywhere.

Pijlie
    Participant

While it is not exactly an answer to your question I did the entire period in 20mm. And quite some fun I had with it too!

Here are pictures and pointers should you want to try out that route.

With Rajah Brooke to Serawak!

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl

Paul
    Participant

Hey Pijlie. Yeah, I saw your blog post while Googling around for ideas. Don’t want to do this in 20mm because most of my other 19th century stuff is 15mm, and I’m a big fan of versatility when it comes to hobby purchases. That said, your game looks absolutely beautiful. I particularly like the dark photo looking at the prau with the outriggers along the river: very atmospheric, so thanks for the inspirational eye candy.

Adam Hayes
    Participant

Great idea! I was similarly inspired after I read that book for the first time. I still have a big box of South Seas natives in 25mm sitting around somewhere (never painted of course!) In 15mm it is at least easier to convert figures to a different use just with a clever paintjob. Irregular and Old Glory have Chinese and Indians in 15mm that might be a basis to start from for the headhunters.

Etranger
    Participant

Grumpy Miniatures have Malays and Indonesians http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=329_330_334&sort=3a (via Eureka or East Riding Miniatures)

There was a dedicated range a few years ago (? Baker Company, &/or the above mentioned LWR) & I think I’ve got some of their figures in a box somewhere – bought to use as Montegnard militia for French Indochina. I’ll see if I can did them up & confirm. Tidy figures IIRC. I’m not on my usual computer so i don’t have any of the links.

This might help http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=colonialwars;id=1;url=http%3A%2F%2F15mmvsf%2Ebagofmice%2Ecom%2FMinis%2F15mm_figs%2Ehtm

Paul
    Participant

Thanks for the input guys. Etranger: I have settled on Grumpy for my Dayaks. Really looking forward to this project as it allows quite an eclectic mix of troop types: Chinese pirates, gentleman adventurers, blue jackets, head hunters, all on the same table.

Paul
    Participant

So, I have made a bit of progress – finished scratchbuilding and painting one war prau (the look of which was shamelessly stolen from Piljie):

Busy with a ship for Mr. Brooke (the “Jolly Bachelor” – again, thank you to Mr. Piljie for the inspirational pics) and waiting for delivery of some anachronistic British sailors. After that, dozens of Dyaks and a plethora of praus. Royal Marines and Chinese pirates further along the line.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Great looking boats !!!

Paul
    Participant

Thanks Kyoteblue. Forgot to mention that the roof/fighting platform is held in place by a magnet and so is removable so you can place figures on the lower deck and replace the roof. The deck itself is also magnetised, as are the outriggers, so you can really overload the thing with troops. It’s only the fighting platform top that is not magnetised because I wanted it to look like rough bamboo.
    At the front is a mount for a swivel gun which I am not going to scratchbuild. Those will all be ordered and the praus armed at a later stage.

Paul
    Participant

Basically finished the “Jolly Bachelor” – just need to do the flags and fit some guns (guns will be mounted on magnets so that they will be interchangeable – swivel guns for Rajah Brookes, Nordenfelts for later battles).

I have never rigged a ship before, and have no idea about doing so, so pretty much just kept adding rigging until I though it looked cool (rather than spending time researching what would be realistic) – apologies to any purists viewing my handiwork.

Sadly, some unexpected vet bills came along this month, so thought it would be better not to order any figures, so Dyaks will be a bit delayed. The anachronistic Royal Navy crew are in the painting queue.

Etranger
    Participant

The Aether flyer suggests that Rajah Brooke may get some more exotic opponents yet! Black Hat Martians would be a option…. 

Paul
    Participant

Yeah, the Jolly Bachelor is likely to see service on the rivers of Venus, as well as the open ocean in the Martian Invasion of 1889.
    The crew will also be found aboard a larger aeronef that I have just finished as well.
    Just realised now, the pic I posted is not the latest – doh! I have added additional rigging since then. That’s what happens when in a rush. Will post an updated pic when I’m back at home.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.