Home Forums WWII Ramble about 1/72 fast build

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Norm S
    Participant

A short ramble on the pleasures of rediscovering the 1/72 scale, plus a further link to explaining the mechics behind Iron Cross rules.

Link

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/172-pleasures.html

willz
    Participant

Cheers for your ramble Norm, I like PSC their products are evocative of Airfix and that’s how Will Townsend planned the marketing of his products.

Cameronian
    Participant

Spot on, I’ve used Armourfast, Italeri and Zvezda fast builds.  All good stuff and a real boon to those of us who aren’t into building super-detailed models. Thanks for bringing this one up Norm.

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

John D Salt
    Participant

Cheers for your ramble Norm, I like PSC their products are evocative of Airfix and that’s how Will Townsend planned the marketing of his products.

Evocative of Airfix? Pffff. Airfix never listened to their customers the way PSC does, nor provided the variety of options in each kit, nor produced a well-thought out range of the kinds of vehicles wargamers need to have.

All the best,

John.

Great little ramble.  I actually collected 15mm for a while and then sold it all off and started 1/72 scale in several eras including Fantasy and Early Desert WWII.

You asked what to start?  Well, buying Stug IIIs eliminates the possibility of the desert war since they did not make it to the African continent.  The next best choice, IMHO, would be Sicily and by extension, Italy.  Imagine Tommies and Yanks working closely together to rid the boot of Fascism and Naziism in one great campaign!  It also is a campaign that has a little of everything in terms of equipment.

John

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Great post.

Italeri ,smodel and psc have been a great bonus for my early war ww2 forces.

Patrice
    Participant

Very interesting.

Aaargh if I fall for 1/72 again after all these years avoiding it, you will be responsible!

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Thuseld
    Participant

PSC, Armour fast and Pegasus helped me get my forces off the ground very quickly and at a reasonable price.

Iain Fuller
    Participant

Cracking post that Norm.

PSC and similar are a godsend for me and my ropey model making skills. No longer the hell of ‘melt tracks together using a hot screwdriver’ (imagine the uproar nowadays if you put that in the instructions!) or as you rightly said assembling road wheels – I came over all cold when I got next to the Churchill at Bovington the other week remembering the horror of the seemingly endless wheels in the Airfix kit that ended up stuck to everything bit the model.

Not only that but having the option to make different types of the same vehicle from the same box is a great bonus I think.

willz
    Participant

Evocative of Airfix? Pffff. Airfix never listened to their customers the way PSC does, nor provided the variety of options in each kit, nor produced a well-thought out range of the kinds of vehicles wargamers need to have. All the best, John.

John what Will was on about was the clear plastic window on the back of his packets, which for me as a young boy was a joy to try and see the kit inside.

John D Salt
    Participant

I came over all cold when I got next to the Churchill at Bovington the other week remembering the horror of the seemingly endless wheels in the Airfix kit that ended up stuck to everything bit the model.

Yes, I thought it was a bit cheeky of Airfix to boast “over 100 pieces” in the model when 66 of them were the bloody running wheels.

The trick with the Airfix Churchill, which I learned on my third or fourth, is to stick the wheels onto their shock-absorber assemblies before you remove them from the sprue. The spacing on the sprue is the same, so just deposit a bloblet of cement on each of the row of nubbinses sticking out of the springy things, then whop the wheels on, and do the same for the other side. You still have to stick eleven of these sub-assemblies on each side, and you’ll still wish they had done it the way Matchbox did on their AVRE, but it’s not as bad as it would be if you cut all the pieces off the sprue before assembling them. Less chance of loss to the carpet monster, too.

All the best,

John.

John D Salt
    Participant

John what Will was on about was the clear plastic window on the back of his packets, which for me as a young boy was a joy to try and see the kit inside

Never seen this on kits, only on the polythene figures — and, yes, I am old enough to remember the full-width cellophane window packaging.

When I was a lad, series 1 kits came in clear plastic bags, with a fold-out instruction sheet stapled to the top, and series 2 and over came in boxes, in which I do not recall ever seeing any windows.

You all remember when packets of crisps came with those little blue bags of salt, yes?

All the best,

John.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.