Home Forums WWII Rapid Fire Reloaded: US vs Germans

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Participant

Tried a Rapid Fire Reloaded game. I coupled it with Platoon Forward! I think I might have, in the immortal words of The Specials, done too much, much too young. I liked the Platoon Forward! aspects of the gaming experience. I did not enjoy the Rapid Fire Reloaded aspects, even a little bit.

MartinR
    Participant

RFR is designed for much bigger games than that, which may account for some of the disappointing aspects. Sometimes a rule set just doesn’t work for someone though. I’ve binned dozens over the years.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Thuseld
    Participant

Having slept on it I do think the rules deserve a bigger game for a proper trial. That is next weekend’s job then.

deephorse
    Participant

Being a keen Rapid Fire player I was interested to read this.  I think you’ve misunderstood the purpose behind the RF rules.  As Martin says, they are intended for much bigger battles, with players throwing battalions and brigades at each other.  I can see how using just a few figures per side would lead to disappointment.  They are not a set of rules for skirmish type actions.  The unit organisations given at the start of Reloaded give a clue as to what level of combat the rules are aimed at.

Reloaded is a new way of resolving combat for RF.  There are only 7 pages of actual rules in Reloaded, and currently you need a copy of RF2 to fill in the vast majority of actions that Reloaded doesn’t cover.  One criticism of RF was that infantry died too easily.  Reloaded sets about making them less brittle by having to kill all the figures on a base before that base is removed.  Personally, I think the authors missed a trick by sticking with the base 6 armour and tank/anti-tank gun classes.  The absence of almost any granularity in this part of the rules has always irritated me.  And quite why the chance of hitting an AFV depends upon how well armoured it is defeats me entirely.  But you can play a very big game quite quickly, and that has an attraction all of its own.

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.