Home Forums General Films and TV Raumpatrouille Orion

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Hafen von Schlockenberg Hafen von Schlockenberg 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Here’s a space force series from Germany I wasn’t aware of, contemporary with Star Trek OS. Presented here for any who’ve led as sheltered a life as I have :

Of the youtube comments, my favorite is “And now is the time on Raumpatrouille when we dance!”

(You can see what’s meant at 10:00).

John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

Oooh-err, Charlotte Kerr! (General Lydia van Dyke).

There’s no doubt it’s tremendous stuff. Cornier than Star Trek, cheaper sets than Doctor Who, and all in glorious monochrome, but still wonderful. And only the one series ever made, unfortunately.

I’m annoyed at the translation into English as “Space Patrol”, as this gets it muddled up with the slightly earlier Roberta Leigh puppet SF show “Space Patrol”, with its yobba rays and galaspheres.

All the best,

John.

willz
    willz
    Participant

Excellent, love the music.  The future has arrived, thanks for sharing.

Willz.

Cheers. And I keep forgetting what an international forum this is — ethnocentrism at work. For those who might not have caught the reference in the comment I mentioned:

Thorsten Frank
    Thorsten Frank
    Participant

Oh my… mark this – maybe this is the only time you experience something like “patriotism” from me. I love this storywise despite all the shortcomings and cheap sets.* And I´m still surprised that this came from German television.
    It had all the “true” sci-fi things I miss often today: truly “alien” aliens, insubordinate heroes, gender equality, system criticism, a sense of wonder, rebellious AI, bored crews, getting many things right in space combat and and and.
    BTW, if you want to understand the German mindset watch this closely (even for WWII scenarios).

* Did anybody notice the iron around 1:35???? 😀

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

willz
    willz
    Participant

Oh. * Did anybody notice the iron around 1:35???? 😀

Yes I saw it, cool.

Willz.

Much hilarity about it in the comment section.

Despite the obviously low budget, I was impressed by the set design, based on the one episode I’ve watched so far.

BTW, John S., there was an even earlier “Space Patrol” in the US, which, believe it or not, was very popular in the early 50’s, even with adults:

A radio version ran concurrently, also available on youtube.

Back with this clip I stumbled across — have to call it an OMG moment: they reproduced the dance for a reunion!

I guess it was somewhat notorious in Germany.

Makes me wonder if something similar ever happened with Star Trek actors and the Orion Slave Girl dance (not counting cons — it’s a popular thing at those).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.