Home Forums Modern Reading Hue 1968.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I’m reading Hue 1968 by Mark Bowden , about half way thru, man it’s really good if very very sad for me. I was 14 that year and remember watching the news every night and reading the newspapers and magazines . The names are strange but familiar Hue , La Chu , Kha Sanh and Da Nang. The surprise and how when it was over , there was no longer talk about winning only how to leave.  So many lives lost.

I hope others will read it and let me know what they think.

shelldrake
    Participant

I haven’t read the book, but it sounds very interesting.  I have seen documentaries (made in hind sight of course) that said Hue was a turning point in the war, as the enemy were thrashed – if the media didn’t report in the way they did, the outcome for the war might have been totally different.

kyoteblue
    Participant

The author also wrote Blackhawk Down , so it’s very well written.

irishserb
    Participant

Doing a book store run tomorrow, I’ll have to check and see if they have it.

Read Guests of the Ayatollah a few years back after reading Blackhawk Down, and thought it was pretty good as well.

McKinstry
    Participant

I’m only familiar with Hue from the background noise of the times as I was a high school junior but when I was in SEA during 71-72, I passed through Tan Sanut and DaNang and knew a fair number of the folks involved in both the initial attack at Tan SanUt and the subsequent recapture of that portion of the perimeter. It was a tactical disaster for the VC but in the short term, we got our back sides initially shocked and awed, at least from a lowly grunt perspective. Tet traumatized a substantial portion of the military and right up until we left, absent any real intel, we still went seriously paranoid every year at that time.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I recommend reading this book. let me know what you think, it you do read it.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’ve read much on Hue, and not just the fighting but also about what the VCI did when they took over, all those mass graves.  There are some that say that the area has never recovered from the “culling” of the intelligentsia and the damage done to the Universities faculty and students.  What a way to attempt to incite an uprising… boy did the NV have it wrong on that one.

There are some great first hand accounts out there about the fighting.  Almost Stalingrad-like in it’s meat grinder of house-to-house work.  One of the most poignant vignettes that I recall from a book about Hue that is almost an allegory for Vietnam itself was where this dog kept coming to these Marines who would feed it, then it’d run outside and throw up and come back in to get fed again.  The 4th time it did this it grabbed a C-rat spoon in it’s mouth and ran, and was then shot out in the middle of the street by the NVA.  One of the Marines was wounded that day and when he came back a few days later the dog was still in the street with the spoon in it’s mouth, but with a little sign on it in Vietnamese that said “traitor”.  Some NVA crawled through USMC lines (like 4 blocks or something by that time) and into the middle of the street just to put that little sign on that dead dog.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.