Home Forums WWII Reading suggestions for North Africa

• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by John.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Morgan
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker and first time poster to the forum here.

I’m contemplating doing a North African project a little later in the year, so in the meantime I was hoping to do some reading to carry my knowledge further than the “World at War” episode on the subject. I figure that if I’m better informed on the theatre I can make wiser choices  regarding  rules, game scale, etc. Any suggestions on books that deal with the campaign, especially at the tactical level, would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Morgan

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Thomas Morgan:

Hi there and welcome aboard!

This link might be of some use to you even though it is from the site which shall not be named; it is a useful tool:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=182233

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Those are all good sources.

Thomas Morgan
    Participant

Thanks Rod,

Plenty of suggestions there to get me started.

Much obliged.

Tom Morgan

“The Tunisian Campaign” by Charles Messenger is, in my opinion, well worth a read.

Sparker
    Participant

Couldn’t open the link by Rod as its TMP down time (just for a change!) But if that list doesn’t include ‘Desert Generals’by Correlli Barnet, it should. Outstanding reading. Debunks Monty something shocking, but it rings true, given Monty’s subsequent apologies for his TV programs about the campaign….

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

MartinR
    Participant

The TMP link has some good suggestions (I think I put some of them on there), but if I was forced to just pick a few I’d go with:

‘Rommels North African Campaign’ by Green and Massignani

‘Tobruk’ by FM Lord Carver

‘The African Trilogy’ by Alan Moorshead

and for a very decent wargamers guide up until late 1941, Frank Chadwicks ‘Beghazi Handicap’.

but there are lots of other good books too. One problem with the WaW episodes is that they were filmed when Enigma was unknown and they perpetuate (unsurprisngly) some of the myths about the desert war which were around in the 1960s and 70s. Things like the role of Malta in sinking (or not) Axis supply convoys and their influence n combat power are still very controversial – Martin Van Crefeld devotes a chapter or three to logistics issues in the desert in’Supplying War’.

Cheers

Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Don Glewwe
    Participant

If interested in when/after the Yanks get involved, their actions are covered in “An Army At Dawn” by Rick Atkinson.

https://brawlfactory.net/

John
    Participant

The Crucible of War 1- Wavell’s Command by Barrie Pitt- great book on the path of the Desert war until the removal of Gen. Wavell.

The Tank War by Mark Urban – The First half of this book is a very insightful view of life and fighting in the %th RTR in the desert created from interviews , memoirs and diary entries. The Second half of the book isn’t half bad either.

To model the effect of Nuclear weapons on the wargaming table, apply jerry can of fuel to board, light match and stand well back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.