Home Forums General General Real Life Wargaming Casualties

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I’m sitting in the ER waiting to get stitches where I sliced through my thumb and nail while tidying up some corners of a scratch-built mdf building. Have had many small nicks and scratches before while scratch building, cleaning off flash, etc, but this is the most serious. Tell me about your worst hobby-related injury so I dont feel like such an idiot.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Participant

Paul:

About three years ago I knocked an exacto-knife of my work table and impaled the top of my foot. About ten years ago I stepped on a 4-sided die which hobbled my heel for about two weeks. About thirty years ago I stuck a spinning Drexel saw into my left knee joint, just above and behind the patella and had to get fourteen stitches. Man, was there blooded everywhere!

So Paul, I feel for you and wish you a speedy recovery.

Cheers and get well soon.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Drilled through my finger when I got  a bit careless. Almost as much blood as when I sliced the side of my thumb off with a corned beef tin.

Participant

Well, I survived. Six stitches and a tetanus shot. Next time I won’t be too lazy to walk to the garage to get my little planer to smooth out the overhang on the corners ☺

Participant

knife – ruler – thumb in the way – ouch!

Participant

Over zealous application of a hobby knife allowed me to see my thumb bone once. Luckily I lived two doors from A&E so just popped round the corner. Not even proper stiches!

/
    Chief Sarcaster at http://www.exmouthwargames.org.uk/
    Assistant Dogsbody at http://legionaryshow.co.uk/
    /

Participant

When you say ‘hobby related’…you just mean wargaming right?

Participant

No cuts ever, mostly because I am paranoid about it, but I’ve glued my hands plenty of times

but I’ve glued my hands plenty of times

This, oh but I have managed to get superglue on my tongue the once.

Participant

The dreaded ‘pike block’ to the arm…………nearly cost me my job back then ‘cos someone thought they were track marks……

Also I still have a scar from the knuckle to the nail of my thumb……Stanley blades will open things to the bone…-.that was trimming the flash from a landing craft……..left a big pool of blood in Emergency as they were ‘busy’………..

There was thetime that I ‘discovered’ the heat reaction between super glue and fleece jackets……………..had to get that off in a hurry!

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Participant

Never been hospitalised with wargames-related injuries, but I got glue in my eye once, and that was painful.

Keymaster

Who knew the hobby was such a danger zone?

I have to say AB getting superglue on his tongue was amusing to me but then again I always laugh when he has a silly injury. Ask him? I often lack the right level of care and concern for him. I am a bad wife…. 

Never put a sock in a toaster.

Participant

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”

Participant

but I got glue in my eye once, and that was painful.

Me too. Superglue in my right eye. Painful but even more worrying. Washing it out with water for hours and was sore for about a week. Lots of cuts and bruises from my wife from spending too much time in my war room

Participant

but I got glue in my eye once, and that was painful.

Me too. Superglue in my right eye. Painful but even more worrying. Washing it out with water for hours and was sore for about a week. Lots of cuts and bruises from my wife from spending to much time in my war room

Participant

I am not reading all this, I would faint on my computer screen!

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

I cut a chunk out of the top of my thumb when a teenager, cutting figures with a Stanley knife and little regard to health and safety. I still have the scar.

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/stormofsteelwargaming

Blog: http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

Participant

Patrice, be glad we aren’t posting pics.

Participant

I have had various cuts and burns from wargaming, I won’t go into details.

More serious injuries have been sports ones: damaged joints, broken bones etc, although my most hospitalised injuries have been bits of grit in my eye from cycling (three times now). I also made a brave attempt to cut my fingers off with a pair of shears while gardening and fell out of the loft hatch while tidying it up. Had a tooth broken playing Airsoft, and when I was a kid we decided it would be a good idea to throw darts at each other. You can probably  imagine how that turned out…

So really, wargaming is relatively safe!

Cheers

Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

I once impaled my index finger onto the steel mast of a 1/2400 WW1 dreadnought. Into the bone. It was the HMS Inflexible, incidently….

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl

Participant

I’m guessing some of you buggers have never done paid manual work**?

**skilled or semi-skilled manual work, with tools and things. Stacking boxes at Tesco during summer recess doesn’t count

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Keymaster

**skilled or semi-skilled manual work, with tools and things. Stacking boxes at Tesco during summer recess doesn’t count

I used to fit flashing, the lead around rooftops on tower blocks, perched on scaffolding in Dudley and West Brom.

Participant

I’m guessing some of you buggers have never done paid manual work**? **skilled or semi-skilled manual work, with tools and things. Stacking boxes at Tesco during summer recess doesn’t count

I used to fit flashing, the lead around rooftops on tower blocks, perched on scaffolding in Dudley and West Brom.

Two questions:

Have you got all your fingers?

How much of the lead ended up in the casting pot?

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Keymaster

Have you got all your fingers?

Yes, I was good at it.

How much of the lead ended up in the casting pot?

Ha ha, no idea what you mean boss.

Participant

War Panda:

I think we should all encourage Mrs. Panda to beat the stuff’in out of you regular like. It’ll tenderize you and make you a better person panda. So Panda-pinata it must be.

Cheers and I hope you spend a lot of time in the war-room!

Rod Robertson.

Participant

So Google “Dudley and West Brom flashing” and we get your picture?

Participant

…..Mrs. Panda to beat the stuff’in out of you ….

That’s why I always have black eyes…Ba Dum Tss

Actual photo before I receive a beating

Participant

Damn you Panda:

I’ve just wasted five minutes laughing and staring at that silly picture! That’s another great photo choice, right up there with the “apology-kitten”! Fear, nerves, back to the wall and just can’t work up the energy to do something about it. An instant classic!

Cheers and I will try to regain some composure now.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

“Pin drill slip finger”

Participant

I have fifteen years of archaeology under my belt. My hands are covered in callouses and scars from sharp flint…

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/stormofsteelwargaming

Blog: http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

Participant

Here’s my tale of both worst Wargaming injury and worst Sportsmanship.

Roll back the clock about 25 years and to a tense game in our Blood Bowl 2nd ed league, the very much unfancied Lowdown Rats were playing the highly rated Chaos All stars (who needed the win to secure a place in the playoffs), coached by Neil & Bri respectively, a combination of great coaching and poor dice rolls led to  a shock 3-1 victory for the Rats, and much gloating by Neil ensued which must have flicked a switch in Bri or maybe the spirit of the game had infected him, either way he jumped up (we  were kids an played on  the floor of my room) and swiftly put the boot into Neils face followed by a pile on, and a few punches thrown by both coaches until I managed to get between them and calm things down. My Blood Bowl pitch had realistic blood stains from Neil’s bust nose, and one of my metal goblins managed to impale Bri’s arm though he was snapped from his slotta base in return. Needless to say Bri was ejected from the league!

My attempt at a Blog: http://ablogofwar.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

A pair of gaming buddies were in a car wreck 2 weeks ago, both of whom are supposed to be painting up little planes and tanks for our 3-way war campaign.  They lived, but with the driver having both wrists broken by the airbag (10 & 2 is apparently bad hand positioning when crashing) and the other having a broken shoulder has put the slowdown on the project.

So, Shoulder calls me up lastnight to tell me he was trying to paint left-handed (he is a righty) when he dropped his mini.  His natural reaction was to grab it with is right (which is in a sling) as it fell, thus dislocating his formerly healing shoulder, and should he go to the ER or flee the country as his wife was probably going to murder him for not following doctors orders?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

When you’re lerning to be a proper artist type drawing person you’re told to sharpen yer pencil with a Stanley knife then use a nail file to bring them to a point. I was 15 going on 16 and we were about to draw a nice young lady, I was at the Stanley knife bit of proceedings, when she clothed off. First time I’d seen a proper naked women…

so I sliced the top of mi’ thumb off.

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.