Home Forums General General Reaper Bones: What's the latest advice on basecoasting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Minsinger
    Participant

So my latest Reaper Bones KS recently arrived; I’m working on a Fire Giant army for Dragon Rampant.  What’s the latest advice on priming the Bones material?  Spray primer or no?  I remember reading that the Bones material had an issue with the acetone based primers.

-Will

Katie L
    Participant

Acetone/butane/propane solventised primers are fine as long as you don’t overload the surface; Halfords matt and satin blacks work well — These are what I always used to use.

Stylenrez airbrush primer is fine; I’ve done a bunch of figures with this.

Do NOT use enamel paints — Humbrol or Testors — on PVC; either as base or as detail or as a final varnish. The PVC’s plasticisers interact with the alkyd resin binder and prevent it going off leaving the figure ever-sticky.

William Minsinger
    Participant

Katie, thanks for the advice!  I ended up trying it sans primer and it actually worked pretty well, but I plan to prime the next model and see how it goes….

-Will

Reaper Bones you say?  DO NOT PRIME.  They come ready to paint.  The only thing I’d advise is to wash the figures in warm soapy water then rinse with clean water.  Start painting.  I painted an E;g archer in this manner.  It held the paint quite well.  Hope that helps.

John

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

William Minsinger
    Participant

Yep, I painted one of the Fire Giants from the last KS after giving it a bath (and straightening the sword); worked out pretty well though a couple of my colors needs a few extra coats.  Maybe I will go sans primer for all of the Giants?

-Will

Katie L
    Participant

I did try not priming, but the paints I use really didn’t seem to like it… they adhered, but coverage was a bit sketchy. It may prove better if you’re a white-undercoat person rather than a black-undercoat person.

(Stone the grey-undercoaters!! They are heretics!!…)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.