Home Forums WWII Recommend a fun set of WWII rules?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Tassie Wargamer
    Participant

Can anyone recommend a fun set of WWII rules (preferably with an index) that are easy to play and remember, are a reasonable facsimile of squad to company level combat in WWII, that doesn’t restrict what you can field and is really inexpensive or free ? A tall ask I know.

My Blog: http://wargamespavilion.wordpress.com/

Truscott Trotter
    Participant

that doesn’t restrict what you can field

That’s a strange request – do you mean has not historical organisational basis?
    Currently I am learning Chain of Command – which is not free but reasonably cheap and is a load of fun
    it is platoon level plus support
    Other local gamers are playing Bolt Action and of course the ubiquitous Flames of War.
    There has been some interest in the Blitzkreig series which is plt to company level but I have not played it personally
    If you want a really easy and basic fun set you cannot go past Battle by Charles Grant (my first set 40 years ago ) now free – I have a pdf copy if you want
    Cheers
    TT
    PS I am also based in Tassie where do you play?

Tassie Wargamer
    Participant

“that doesn’t restrict what you can field”

“That’s a strange request – do you mean has not historical organisational basis?”

Hi Truscott Trotter,

It means that while I will generally follow historical organisation I do like the option of occasionally giving some of the oddments I have on my shelf an outing.

I have played “Battlegroup” but it taxes my brain and memory very greatly, particularly as I only rarely have a chance to play.
    I had forgotten about Charles Grant’s “Battle” and would quite happily give it a try. I’m on the coast, Ulverstone to be precise. Not much historical gaming up this end of Tas.

Cheers
    TW

Truscott Trotter
    Participant

Wow TW that is doing it tough in terms of historical gaming buddies – I thought the guys in Devonport were isolated!
    Have you seen or spoken to
    http://jacksarge.blogspot.com.au/

Tassie Wargamer
    Participant

I’ve known Jacksarge and gamed with him for years TT. He is the only historical wargamer locally that has stayed with it and that I have regularly played against. Sadly we rarely game these days.

Truscott Trotter
    Participant

Oh and feel free to pm me your email address if you want a pdf copy of Charles Grants book

Ooops just saw your other post – yes met Jacksarge up at Campbelltown Military Fair were we Bunker Rats put on a display game of Arnhem

Tassie Wargamer
    Participant

TT,

I remember seeing the very impressive display game of Arnhem at Campbelltown. I hope to be going again this year to the Midlands Military Meet. Will you be putting on another splendid game?

I can’t PM on here as yet but you can email me at tassie (dot) wargamer (at) yahoo (dot) com (dot) au to send the pdf. Thank you.
    Cute dog by the way.

Cheers,

TW

willz
    Participant

“Tassie wrote” Can anyone recommend a fun set of WWII rules (preferably with an index) that are easy to play and remember, are a reasonable facsimile of squad to company level combat in WWII, that doesn’t restrict what you can field and is really inexpensive or free ? A tall ask I know.

I would recommend “rapid fire 1” first version circa 1990 it has an index unlike second version, just think of the battalion and companies as squads.  You can make up your squads and companies any way you want as there is a point system in the book.  I have played this version loads of times as I figure = 1 man and 1 tank = 1 tank its worked well for me.   The rules sell for under a £10 on flea-bay.   I did find a web area with these rule for free but it appears to have disappeared now.

This was the link http://www.scribd.com/doc/51526247/Rapid-Fire-Fast-Play-World-War-2-Wargame-Rules-by-ElfFriend

Tassie Wargamer
    Participant

Thank you William Harley I will keep an eye out for them.

willz
    Participant

My gaming buddy Andy and me actually prefer “Rapid Fire 1” as we found it simpler, more flexible and better fun than “Rapid Fire 2”.

Nick the Lemming
    Participant

My gaming buddy Andy and me actually prefer “Rapid Fire 1″ as we found it simpler, more flexible and better fun than “Rapid Fire 2″.

Same here. We used RF1 a lot, then got RF2 when it came out, played a couple of games, then went back to RF1 again. Part of it was that we were so used to RF1 that we didn’t have to look stuff up, I think, whereas we did with RF2, and we’d occasionally get something wrong because we were remembering from RF1 rather than RF2, so rather than have games where that happened a lot, we just went back to what we knew.

willz
    Participant

Nick wrote” Same here. We used RF1 a lot, then got RF2 when it came out, played a couple of games, then went back to RF1 again. Part of it was that we were so used to RF1 that we didn’t have to look stuff up, I think, whereas we did with RF2, and we’d occasionally get something wrong because we were remembering from RF1 rather than RF2, so rather than have games where that happened a lot, we just went back to what we knew.

Strange that Nick that’s sounds exactly what has happened to me and Andy.  We play RF2 when gaming with other people (however we keep slipping back to RF1 and that can be embarrassing).  We have got a bit bored with RF2 lately so Andy and me are moving RF1 now as it is simpler more flexible and more fun.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Fun, free, relatively simple?

WRG 1925-1950 first edition. They don’t need an index.

Here’s the link

http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG.net/History/OLDWRG/WWII.pdf

Old, but not past it. Bit like me

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

grizzlymc
    Participant

I find the wrinkles on the front detract from the message inside, which is not as fresh and spontaneous as it was 40 years ago.

OTOH WRG 25-50 are good quick and fun!

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Cheers Grizz…

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Sondergaard
    Participant

Bolt Action is cheap on Amazon at the minute as a Kindle download. Also the German and Russian army books. I’d recommend I Ain’t Been Shot Mum first but Bolt Action are cheap and fun.

Not in the face!

willz
    Participant

I picked up “Blot Action” as a Crimbo present, read the rules, not played yet, they are strait forward and the reports I get they are fun.

Why not do the usual war-gamer thing and cherry pick the best bits you like of several different rule sets and combine them to a game you want to play.

Tassie Wargamer
    Participant

I have cherry picked wargame rules before William Harley but it always easier to use a standard set that others have access to and can have input. My regular opponent isn’t that keen on “Bolt Action” but you never know.

willz
    Participant
    NTM
    Participant

Crossfire is back in print. Give it a go!

I’ve heard this a few times now but have so far failed to find anyone actually selling it. Do you know of any retailers preferably in the UK?

Thanks in advance Nigel

Edit; answered my own question Caliver books or On Military Matters in the USA

Sparker
    Participant

“Tassie wrote” Can anyone recommend a fun set of WWII rules (preferably with an index) that are easy to play and remember, are a reasonable facsimile of squad to company level combat in WWII, that doesn’t restrict what you can field and is really inexpensive or free ? A tall ask I know. I would recommend “rapid fire 1″ first version circa 1990 it has an index unlike second version, just think of the battalion and companies as squads. You can make up your squads and companies any way you want as there is a point system in the book. I have played this version loads of times as I figure = 1 man and 1 tank = 1 tank its worked well for me. The rules sell for under a £10 on flea-bay. I did find a web area with these rule for free but it appears to have disappeared now. This was the link http://www.scribd.com/doc/51526247/Rapid-Fire-Fast-Play-World-War-2-Wargame-Rules-by-ElfFriend

I’m not going to launch into a diatribe against Rapid Fire 1 or 2, as its bad for my blood pressure, and this place is too nice for some of the language I’d be force to use!

All I will say is look carefully at the casualty rates against infantry from direct fire weapons, and maybe halve them or something. Seriously! Infantry who know what they are doing are really, really hard to kill much beyond 200 yards with direct fire, even in what looks like open terrain….

If you do want some rules that model WW2 infantry tactics realistically, and are prepared to ignore the battle orders, as I have done, the look at the ‘Battle Group xxxx’ series of rules. They model the difference between suppressive, pinning fire, which is all that was possible from bullet weapons much beyond 200 yards, and direct killing fire, which even in the modern British army is rarely expected beyond 50 yards, with the help of grenades, very well.

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Fernando Darlington
    Participant

Can anyone recommend a fun set of WWII rules (preferably with an index) that are easy to play and remember, are a reasonable facsimile of squad to company level combat in WWII, that doesn’t restrict what you can field and is really inexpensive or free ? A tall ask I know.

I’d say Too Fat Lardies rulesets comply with the request; fun, simple, good feeling of playing the period with credible outcomes and cheap if you get the PDF versions. “Chain of Command” and “Troop, Weapons and Tactics”  skirmish level to Company. And “I Aint Been Shot mum” from company to Battalion/Regiment.

The only thing you might have an issue is that with their rulesets you roll a lot of dice. For some people this is a concern.

willz
    Participant

The thing about “Rapid Fire” it called that for a reason fast, fun and not to complicated (even version 2).

If I want more complication when  I game with some buddies, sometimes we try to use suppression fire in these rules buy giving players a choice when shooting of a +1 on a d6 roll if they chose to use suppression fire against infantry.  This forces both attacker and defender to use something similar to WW2 tactics.

Example 8 points MMG firing at a 8 man squad at medium range in the open, 6 on a D6 needed to kill 3 men.  to suppress +1 on D6 roll 2 hits or more suppresses 8 man squad /company.  (They stop moving and go to ground) a variation is 1 hit suppresses half the squad.

It works best with 2 MMG’s suppressing, but is effective 1 MMG killing and 1 suppressing.  I have not used suppression fire from infantry squads but see no reason why it would not work.  Using this rule you need all players to be in agreement and understand its use.

As an attacker the risk of you squads / company being suppressed forces you to think more about fire, movement and mutual squad / company support.

It works for me.

Steve Burt
    Participant

Rapid Fire is OK but as it stands there’s very little tactical subtlety; no suppression for instance. I also have a problem with a rule set which has brigades on the table having rules for grenades. It’s pretty obviously a 1:1 scale set which has been ‘bathtubbed’ up. Nothing wrong with it as a game, but it seems to bear little resemblance to WW2 combat at regimental/brigade level which is what it purports to simulate. You’d be much better off with Spearhead for that, but I wouldn’t describe those rules as fun.

willz
    Participant

No point in war-gaming if it is not fun.

shelldrake
    Participant

I have bolt action and Chain of Command – and CoC is a lot of fun, has an index, and whilst you field only a platoon, you do have support lists to add extras to your army.

Plus they do have a free download for playing bigger games: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=3013

Sparker
    Participant

Good to have you on this forum Shelldrake!

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

shelldrake
    Participant

Good to have you on this forum Shelldrake!

Thanks Sparker!  Other places are getting a bit droll and I don’t enjoy visiting so much anymore, so very happy I read a review on a blog about this forum

AJ at the Bank
    Participant

Blitzkreig Commander 2 is an outstanding and cheap rule set.

Has built in army lists…and can be used with historical OOB ..or has a points system that means you can field pretty much what you like

It is supported by an active forum, battlegroup builder, scenarios etc.

good luck in your search!

Steve Johnson
    Participant

I too recommend BKCII. Never had a bad game.

willz
    Participant

opps

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.