Home Forums Alternate History Victorian Sci Fi Red martians(+Rifles and artillary)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Stroezie
    Participant

Basically what it says in the title.

I did a test piece to see if my idea of using Rapier miniatures Sea People as red martians for my 6mm Martian Empires project would work.

Its a very simple conversion, I snipped of their feathered headdress and slapped on a quick and dirty greenstuf helmet and then painted them like red martians, that’s it.

Personally, I like them! What do you think?

Up close you can see how quick and dirty the helmets really are 

Oh well now that I know it works I may take a little more care with the following ones.

I’ve already ordered some more packs from Rapier’s classical and chariot wars ranges which I think will work and I have bases coming in from Warbases so you can expect to see more pictures in the (hopefully) near future.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Stroezie.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Stroezie.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Stroezie.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Stroezie.

If you like small scale skirmish, check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Mike
    Keymaster

Ideal I reckon.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Very nice, loving the balloon tree btw. 

Rhoderic
    Participant

They’re lovely! Good use of colours.

I’ve had similar plans for my sword-and-planet project but have hit a snag in that I’d like some to have rifles and don’t know how to convert something like that yet. But come to think of it, I love the idea of a horde of red martians with only melee weapons versus a smaller force of cephalopods with walkers and rayguns.

Stroezie
    Participant

Aha, Rhoderic, I have a cunning plan for those rifles, they’ll never suspect it.

Actually I only have a vague idea involving some Trojan bowmen but when my figures arrive they’ll be the first to go under the knife and I’ll post some pictures.

Who knows maybe they’ll be enough to rekindle your sword-and-planet ambitions

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Stroezie.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Who knows maybe they’ll be enough to rekindle your sword-and-planet ambitions

Oh those are rekindled already. Been working on 6mm sword-and-planet-conducive terrain in the past few days and just received my order from Vanguard today. Hope to have things to share in the next few weeks. Just skirmish for a start, though. Trying to convert Onslaught Miniatures Legion Overseers into green martian facsimiles (they won’t look like actual Burroughsian green martians, but they’ll channel the same spirit at least) will take some effort so we’ll have to see if I ever get enough for massed battles.

I’m buzzing with anticipation to see the riflemen, if the conversions work out for you.

Stroezie
    Participant

Cool!

I look forward to seeing what you’ve come up with.

Good call on the Onslaught Legion Overseers, I’ll have to keep them in mind as backup, my own green martians are currently stuck at this stage

Where they’ll probably stay untill my sculpting skills catch up

I’ll be keeping some minis on seperate bases for skirmish too, do you have any idea for a set of rules yet?

Noel
    Participant

This is great stuff.

Rhoderic
    Participant

No idea as for rules, whether for skirmish or massed battle. Looking at your figures I’m thinking you may have Martian Empires in mind for yourself…?

I think your green martians will look far superior to anything that can be converted out of existing figures.

Stroezie
    Participant

Yes,for mass battle I’ll be using Martian Empires, for skirmish I don’t know yet maybe Pulp Alley or Rogue Planet or one of the Nordic Weasel rule sets… …. so many great sets to choose from…

I guess in the end if it lets me swash my buckle ERB style its all good

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Stroezie.

Stroezie
    Participant

Ok, so I’m still waiting for the rest of the miniatures to arrive before I can do any more work on my red martians but I did manage to do 3 hero/leader figures

I redid their weapons and added a cape and gold choker to two of them and thats about it.
    The minis are all from Rapier miniatures 2 sea people and a greek hoplite.

I kept thinking the flyers would also be great for someting like Flash Gordon so I cooked up some figures to try it out

Hmm, I think I smell yet another project coming…. ;D 😉

I’ve also decided to build one more flyer of each type but with a few small changes so that I can try to cast them in resin ( this will be a first for me so we’ll see how it goes)

That’s it for now, hopefully my figures will show up soon and I’ll have more to show you.

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

Those look really good, I hope the casting goes well. 🙂

Rhoderic
    Participant

That is wonderful! 1930s pulp sci-fi in the style of Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers is every bit as fun as sword-and-planet (and I have no qualms about mixing the two themes myself) so both of those new sets of figures are a delight to see.

Good luck with the resin casting!

McKinstry
    Participant

Clever. I love the Black hat 15mm Martians but prefer 6mm for my armies lately. This is a neat alternative.

Never wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy and the pig just likes it.

Angel Barracks

Very cool, did you order that stuff we talked about?

Stroezie
    Participant

Havn’t really gotten around to it.

My youngest daughter just got diagnosed with autism yesterday so I havn’t really been feeling like doing much hobby related stuff.

My first priorty now is to get the ball rolling to find her a new school and to start educating myself and the rest of the familly on how to live with and raise a little girl with autism.

Stroezie
    Participant

Ok,

I’ve finally managed to base all of my cephalods and I have started on my red martians.

All units are/will be based on  either 3×3 or 1.5 x3 cm 2mm thick MDF

Ok already! pictures or it didn’t happen.

The Cephalods

The red martians

These are the first 2 units of swordsmen, they are a mixture of Rapier miniature codes SEA001, SEA002 and IND002.

I started with these as they didn’t need much by way of conversions, just cut down the spears of the SEA002’s and filed them flat and pointy so I could paint them as swords. I also filed down some of the feathered headdresses so I could paint them as helmets, all in all I’m quite happy with how they turned out.

Here’s a piccie of everything so far

Thats it for now, if you liked this, stay tuned for more.

Next up will be a unit of Imperial guards armed with pole arms/spears (ASR001 no conversion), a unit of Imperial guards armed with rifles and pavises/shields (TRJ002 cut back the long spears and bent and filed them down to resemble a kind of musket) and a unit of regular riflemen(ASR001 and TRJ004 trimmed down and bent the bows to look like handguns or cut away the bows completely and rearmed with muskets made from the leftovers of the spears of TRJ002)

When these are finished I’m going to try to convert ASR005 Assyrian cavalry to Thoat mounted cavalry( oh boy, how do I keep getting myself into these things?)

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Rhoderic
    Participant

Really nice. Love that battle scene.

Thoat cavalry, huh? Your dedication to doing ERB justice in 6mm is inspiring.

Mike
    Keymaster

Very nice, how did you make those odd bobbly tree things?

Stroezie
    Participant

@mike

I’m afraid I can’t take any credit for those, they were a lucky find in some fake flower arrangements.

@Rhoderic

I’m not promising anything , I have some half formed ideas about how I’m going to go about turning the horses into thoats but it could still turn out to look like total crap so we’ll have to wait and see

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Stroezie.

Angel Barracks

You know… I don’t think I have adequately expressed how cool it is that you have scratch built an entire force.

Super Kudos

Stroezie
    Participant

Actually, I only really realised how crazy that was once I started basing them in groups and thought to myself I was going to need to make some more of them for individual skirmishing

That being said, I’m seriously thinking of looking into the posibilities of drop casting at home for when I start sculpting my Thark forces.

Which reminds me, I tried ordering some stuff for resin casting from those links you sent me, turns out they only ship to the UK and Ireland

Got any ideas for mainland suppliers?

Angel Barracks

That’s a bummer. Those products are used the world over so a Google search may find someone in your neck of the woods that has them.

Stroezie
    Participant

And yet more red martian troops.

This time its two units of imperial guards,

The melee unit armed with shield and spear

And a ranged unit armed with pavise and radium rifles

Here’s a pic with the donor figure so you can all marvel at my converting skills 😉

The left over pieces of the pikes were used to arm a unit of regular rifles,

here’s a sneek peek at that unit

More pics when they are decent and have some more paint on them.

Probably in a week or two as I’ll be going camping with the kids next week so no painting then.

Cheers,

Stroezie.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Stroezie.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Stroezie.

Stroezie
    Participant

Well, I guess it’s been a bit longer than 2 weeks but anyhoo…

Finally managed to take some crappy smartphone pictures of my 2 latest red martian units

A unit of rifelmen

and some float platform artillary

I popped 2 stands into the lightbox in an attempt to get you a better look

Here’s a shot of the red martian host so far

And now I’ll leave you with a small preview of the last unit of red martians which I’ll be doing for now…

the thoat cavalry

I still need to sculpt on all of the features but you can at least see the basic concept.

Btw. anybody have a good idea what to do with a dozen or so 6mm decapitated horse heads?  

Mike
    Keymaster

Make some 6mm beds?

Rhoderic
    Participant

Cool! The riflemen turned out great and the cannons strike my fancy as well. That thoat cavalry project looks intimidating.

As for the horse heads, start a 6mm Sláine-inspired Celtic swords-and-sorcery project with evil horse-headed druids, or alternatively, make some sort of shrine or altar decorated with horse head sculptures (or alien beast head sculptures if you re-imagine them a bit) 

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Rhoderic.
    Angel Barracks

That is an impressive conversion!

That is a heck of an army, did you ever get round to casting some of the flyers up?

Stroezie
    Participant

@ Rhoderic

That’s a low blow, hitting me in one of my weak spots, 6mm Slaine…    a seed has been planted….

@ Angel Barracks

Havn’t gotten around to casting any flyers yet.

I have however finally managed to find a supplier of resin and mold rubber who will ship to my neck of the woods.

Once my wallet recovers from all the christmass crazyness I will be looking into it once more.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Stroezie.

Angel Barracks

wait what?
    6mm Slaine?

Yes, take my money.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.