Home Forums WWI Renault FT17 with dolphin?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by General Slade General Slade 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

I came across this picture of the Minifigs model of the Renault FT17 and was surprised to see that it has an ornamental dolphin on the hull (which gives it a distinctly steam punk look to my eye).  I’ve looked online to try to find real life examples of this design but all the FT17s I have come across appear to be sans fish.  So is the model correct?  Did Renault manufacture tanks decorated with dolphins?

Minifigs Renault FT17

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

No idea, sorry.
    However whilst Googling for it I discovered a whole world of “Renault FT 17 lego” on Google images!

General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

Damn! That’s really disappointing.  For one thing it means that the French in the First World War weren’t as whimsical as I had hoped.  And secondly it means I am seeing ornamental fish where there are none.

Etranger
    Participant

Thats the tail skid for trench crossing, often but not always fitted. That said, your example does have a particularly exuberant amount of excess metal & it does look like a face! Either that or there really was a Dauphin variant. (Actually wasn’t there Renault by that name?)

General Slade
    General Slade
    Participant

It turns out there was a Renault Dauphine but sadly it wasn’t a First World War tank and didn’t look especially like a dolphin.  On the plus side, looking this up means that I now know why the heir to the throne of France was called the Dolphin; apparently it is all down to the coat of arms:

Arms of the Dauphin of France

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.