Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games Sci-fi / Fantasy Renegade Scout – some questions and tweaks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Spurious
    Participant

I’ve been checking out Renegade Scout lately due to getting that urge to recapture the ‘oldskool’ feel since lets be honest, Rogue Trader as lovable as it is, is as clunky as a bag of hammers, and Renegade Scout, despite having a whole lot of fun details, isn’t. Anyway I’ve had a couple things come up though when play testing with a friend and a bunch of tweaks that we’ve been playing around with that you might find interesting.

The main query is where is line of sight drawn from? And on a related note, where are psychic powers drawn from? There’s a lot of references to if something is visible or not, and many indicators for when something isn’t visible, but unless I missed something in repeated readings there’s not actually a clear mechanic to determine the basic requirement of can a thing be seen.

Since I have also been tweaking the system for personal taste I did set out to answer this myself. Being an avid hater of so-called True-Line-Of-Sight I refused to use model’s eye view, (and I’m still playing around with the wording to get it right, and drawing a nice diagram) but we went with drawing a line from any point on the base of the model to the same on the target (going with the abstraction that the base represents the area the thing on it is operating within). We did however have some problem with elevation with this, particularly using a motley collection of different sized hills, for what can see over what. So to account for this I went with the method of dividing up the battlefield into abstract layers, so that no matter if the hill is a nicely carved chunk of polystyrene, some old VHS cassettes or a copy of the Silmarillion with a cloth over it, as long as there’s a clearly defined surface for putting models on, they’re all operating the same. Unless you stack the VHS tapes so that there’s two or more levels, then the extra ones come into play. But the idea is that any elevation like that on the table by the use of terrain is going to be significant enough to count as a full level.
    With this each layer can see over things on the layer below but not things of equal height. Mechanically this traces line of sight not directly but as a horizontal line then vertically, which is a bit odd but works to keep things fast.  Players agree on the height of things before the game when unclear of course, so everyone knows that the base of the upturned pint glass is 3 levels up but the tin of beans is only 2 levels high.

Other than that we were also experimenting with various tweaks, some fairly major like going to a mixed roll over/under system rather than just roll under (yeah it’s less logical and consistent but too many years of 1 = bad and numerous dice rolling superstitions left it feeling very odd. Something something roll under feels more like avoiding failure rather than trying to succeed?).

We were also experimenting with a different close combat system since there’s a lot of models armed for it, it felt like it needed a little more;

Close Combat tweaks

Comparative skills with a slight bell-curve on the to-hit roll is how it’s sitting at the moment. That and allowing for things to modify Observation for the sake of combat order, like being armed with a pistol or having other things that increase/reduce reach. Trying out similar to the bell curve thing with rolling for damage:

damage adjustment

A few other things we were playing around with included Flame weapons setting units on fire (if they survive an attack on a 4+ they’re on fire, can’t act for a turn and the next shooting phase they take a hit at the Power of the weapon that hit them -1. No further stuff about beating out flames or standing up or multiple turns of burning though for expediency’s sake. That and limiting grenades thrown to 1 grenade per 3 figures rather than 2 per squad, to make sure it scales with depleted or overly large units. Oh and trying out a ‘balance’ fix for the classic Multimelta by giving it different settings; narrow beam with no template but the full 4D4 damage -4 save, wide beam with a still reduced to 1.5″ radius (felt a bit weird having it be the full 2″ since hardly anything gets that) blast, only D4 damage -2 save. I’ve been compiling everything tweaked along with condensed regular rules in a Quick Reference Sheet. The game could really do with one of those, was surprised it didn’t come with one.

Anyway, how’s that?

Spurious
    Participant

A few other things came up when we were playing around in a purely vehicle based game with 5 Ork buggies facing off against 6 Imperial Guard Sentinels.

Light vehicle rammed a walker; does this count as close combat? Can either side still shoot?

What we went with: The vehicle counted for moving quickly for the purposes of the gunner who we figured could still shoot, but as it supposedly halts when contacting we figured that it didn’t count for the can’t assault a vehicle moving quickly thing (not that the assaulting a vehicle specifies Walkers can, so I guess we made that call too).

Another thing was a driver got shot out of their buggy, the rules say it crashes automatically but we were not sure when since it already moved, if it should be immediately or in its next move.
    What we did: randomised on its next move if it went forward and then crashed or stopped where it was. Result was that the buggy drove forward, hit terrain anyway, got thrown backwards and the remaining gunner was hurled out towards the Sentinel that shot it (but got krumped on impact with the ground).

Oh yeah and do vehicles that explode count as a Blast weapon for resolving the effect? We went with yes, came from trying to work out when a thing rammed and exploded if it could hit the exposed crew in what it was next to.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.