Home Forums General General Resin Bubbles

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Angel Barracks

What sort of standard do you accept/expect from resin?
    Does it vary on the model type, so figures would be no bubbles, vehicles a few minor ones, terrain and buildings is meh?
    Is price a factor?
    Does the company play a factor, small time Jim can get away with more than MegaResinCorps?

Rhoderic
    Participant

Does it vary on the model type, so figures would be no bubbles, vehicles a few minor ones, terrain and buildings is meh?

Kind of, yeah. I wouldn’t say “buildings is meh”, but I’d (glumly) accept some bubbles in terrain pieces, a few minor ones in vehicles and barely a single one in figures, unless maybe it’s some sort of monstrous creature and the bubbles aren’t in particularly bad places. I used to have a low opinion of resin as a material for casting finely sculpted figures, but then Kawe from Westfalia Miniatures kindly sent me a few samples of his resin figures (at the time of his first halflings Kickstarter a while back) and now I’m a convert. There is a world of difference between low-quality resin and high-quality resin.

Is price a factor?

Yes. When I say I’d accept some bubbles in terrain pieces and a few minor ones in vehicles, this is assuming they’re priced mid-market or lower. Nothing priced upmarket should ever be anything short of immaculately cast.

Does the company play a factor, small time Jim can get away with more than MegaResinCorps?

Not really, I suppose. Maybe if small time Jim is a chum of mine, but otherwise, nah.

I’ll also point out that whenever there’s bubbles in a resin-cast item I’ve purchased, I’ll go to the effort of filling them in. So it’s one of those “time is money” type deals, which factors in a quantifiable way into how much I’m prepared to pay for an item that isn’t perfect.

irishserb
    Participant

For me, it is a function of the time needed to repair the bubble.  If it is a simple repair, I don’t care about it, but time consuming repairs are a no go.  A few years back, I bought a bunch of micro scale buildings to save the time of scratch-building my own.  About half of the models received had dozens of bubbles.  Many were in items like frames of windowpanes, which took a disproportionate amount of time to repair.  I could make an original model and a mold from it in less time than it took to repair a single building.  I ended up throwing away about $90 worth of the buildings.  It was really a shame too, as the original sculpts were of very high quality.

Etranger
    Participant

I’m of a similar mind to the others. Minor bubbles and other flaws aren’t an issue and inherent to the medium to some extent, but if there are a lot then the piece becomes of much less interest. It also suggest that the producers QA isn’t up to scratch. After all, it shouldn’t take much time to look at the finished casting to spot major errors.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

To be honest bubbles bug me in castings as all you need is a pressure chamber to get rid of them. Simples! But then I am coming at it from the angle of we have vacuum casting in house as part of our prototyping department, so know how easy it is to remedy. A cheaper alternative is a vibration plate or simply gently banging the open mould to release most of the bubbles until the resin starts to go off.

Don Glewwe
    Participant

A cheaper alternative is a vibration plate or simply gently banging the open mould to release most of the bubbles until the resin starts to go off.

On the (sometimes often) occasion that resin was cast, we used the tablesaw as a vibrator – mild, yet satisfying! ; )

Dunno about others’ experience, but moisture (from either the air or -more likely- tools used) was the big source of bubbles in castings. Proper mold design, of course (taking into account stuff like that pesky ‘gravity’ thing…damn you, Newton!), is assumed.

In response to the OP: Bubbles, imo, are a sign of sloppy production, and I wouldn’t pay for it. A serious price reduction would be in order for any castings that displayed bubbles -ie: advertised as castoffs/rejects.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Don Glewwe.

https://brawlfactory.net/

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

From a manf point of view, I don’t want there to be any bubbles at all.  I am very picky about the quality of the items I put out.  If there are any bubbles in anything and if I cannot fix it in a jiff so that it will look normal once painted then it doesn’t go out to a customer.  Unlike metal, bad castings cannot be recycled so I take the loss.  I’ve pondered point “scratch and dent” discounts but do not want anyone mistaking those sorts of models as standard on a gaming table.

Now, when I buy a mini I expect top quality as well.  I’ve received some resin models that were positively porous and I couldn’t fathom how anyone could send that sort of crap out to a customer and not expect a backlash.  A pinhole here or there I can handle, but no bubbles or cavities.  I will ask for a refund and return their stock to them.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.