Home Forums Ancients [Review] Age of Hannibal

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Did a review of those new rules on my blog, which can be found here:

[Review] Age of Hannibal

Bottom line – now I have to decide how much money I want to spend on yet more Punic Wars figures…

If you’re in the market for some simple, quick, but still atmospheric rules for the Punic Wars and similar conflicts, you can’t go wrong giving them a try. There are a lot of ancients rules out there, but these ones really stood out to me.

Participant

Thank-you for the informative (the best kind!) review

Participant

An interesting review, thanks.

May I ask what special rules apply to elephants? In my experience most ancient rules are fine until you hit the oddities – elephants, scythed chariots, Horse Archers, Romans doing ‘that there manipular exchanging ranks thing’ – I played one of the ‘Not WAB’ systems recently and it was good, until elephants… then suddenly terrible, wrong things occurred.

Pat

Participant

Thanks for the review. I might need to acquire this set. The morale clock reminds me of my favorite old board game Avalon Hill’s ‘Alexander the Great’.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but many thanks for the great review, Nick! Having recently acquired Age of Hannibal, I agree that it is an outstanding set of Ancients rules.

Sane Max – Elephants in AoH are very tough in combat, especially against cavalry. However, if an elephant base becomes demoralized, it will panic and run off in a random direction each turn until rallied, and elephants are quite difficult to rally.

Cheers,
    Scott

"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.