Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Review Kingcome Come: Deliverance.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Thomaston 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Thomaston
    Participant

You’ve pretty much sold me on this. It’ll be somethign I play while waiting for Bannerlords.

Once you completed the main quest, does the credits roll or can you still play and do side quests and ride around like a hobo?

Tired is enough.

You’ve pretty much sold me on this. It’ll be somethign I play while waiting for Bannerlords. Once you completed the main quest, does the credits roll or can you still play and do side quests and ride around like a hobo?

You get an option right at the end, to either end the game completely or do your thang for hours upon hours.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I don’t say this about many games, but I LOVE THIS GAME.  I have spent well over 300 hours playing it, and have really just enjoyed the heck out of that time.  With the 2 new DLC that have come out I have been thinking of getting them and starting over, but at the moment I am having too much fun just riding around and taking on any bandit I can find.  I went for an armored character, but am now trying to do the finesse thing (bit late, but a real challenge).  I really like that once the main storyline is over you can still go around and do minor quests and whatnot.  A friend and I compared notes and it turns out that despite us both having so much time in the game we only had a quest overlap of about 60%!  I had no idea there was so much to do at the lower level end of the game, really makes me want to start over.

I totally agree with you about the pole weapons.  I love carrying one when on horseback, and luckily even in the base game you can store 1 in a horse saddle (but only if the saddle is undamaged).  I would love to see if fully implemented, and the crossbows as well.  Haven’t tried any mods yet, but I might just have to.  My character is probably more rich than any of the lords at the moment, and I don’t think there is enough currency in the kingdom to be able to sell off all of the loot I currently have hoarded in my chest.

Thomaston, you won’t be disappointed.  The voice acting (well, except for 1 lord) is outstanding, the environment really feels alive (the natural sound effects are great) and there are all sorts of things to discover (some are just really cool, and some of them are really disturbing).  I have never played a game with the attention to detail for the world as this game.

Say Gunfreak, did you discover the suit of armor from the hunting party that was later removed via patch?  (allowed you to have the 2nd best suit of armor at the game start if you could find their camp) Or the horse barding in the griffon nest?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

In my first play through I did get the super armour.

Even if they hadn’t removed it, I wouldn’t use it my second play through,  things get to easy.

I do plan trying an archer short sword kinda guy my next time, only using padded armour with some plate reinforcement.

I love the main story, it’s grounded and realistic.

And the actor playing Sir Radzig does a great job.

Thomaston
    Participant

Bought the game on GOG for around £16, just finished installing. I guess you guys wouldn’t be seeing me for a while.

Tired is enough.

Rhys Humphrey
    Rhys Humphrey
    Participant

Sounds like I really need to get this game!

http://thegreatspaceopera.wordpress.com/

I should have added in the review,  as you start as a blacksmiths soon, you suck at matrial combat.

So in the first few hours in the game the combat will feel a little clunky,  but as you get better, the combat will flow very nicely.

I recommend that once the game opens up after 2-3 hours. You train at the instructor outside of rattay.

A few rounds with him will level combat skills and make combat better, however don’t overdo it. As you can get over leveled and ruin your enjoyment

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I’ve been interested in this game. But the opportunity cost… Gods, the opportunity cost! Even though I have the luxury of quite a lot of time to play video games, I couldn’t sink hundreds of hours into this one without draining my energy to play other games.

I did watch a bit of it on YouTube a while ago, though. While it has some of the usual handwaving that’s convenient from a gameplay and game design point of view (the gameworld feels somewhat “abridged/miniaturised”, your personal storage chests scattered across the world allow you to dump inventory in one of them and magically retrieve them again from another one, and so on), I largely agree with the description of the game as realistic. Given that it’s set in medieval times, that also means it can be rather bleak and grim at times. The YouTuber whose “Let’s Play” I was watching was too busy fleeing in panic at the start of the game (as I probably would have been) to try to divert the attention of the pillaging Cumans. He later realised his cowardice had resulted in one of the female characters being raped. So, not a game for people who prefer their RPGs more sanitised and “happily ever after”. Still, it stands apart from other RPGs as an immersive “true medieval” experience (within reason), and that’s a powerful thing.

You can save the woman if you run at the cumans and hit them with your sword before you “RUN AWAY” she can also get away.

There is some miniaturising, but far far less then other open world games, in Skyrim, the assassins creed, the witcher etc. Where there is a monster 10 meters outside of the town gate.

The game has big forests and landscapes.  And unlike the witcher were you can see a mountain that looks like it’s days away but only takes 1 minute to run to. In this game, the distances feel correct.

Rhys Humphrey
    Rhys Humphrey
    Participant

I have now purchased this as a package with all current DLC. Looking forward to getting started!

Anymore tips for newbie?

http://thegreatspaceopera.wordpress.com/

My second to last post has some combat newbie friendly info.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

Well, I’m considering buying this after all, as it’s on half-price right now in the Xbox store (there’s an “E3 Week” sale going on, it seems to be their summertime equivalent of their Christmas & New Year’s sale, so it’s quite advantageous).

One quick question first: How troublesome is the save system? I’m aware that they made it restrained on purpose, so as to reinforce the player’s self-preservation instinct in the interest of realism. But will it prevent me from playing the game casually, a little bit at a time? If I play for maybe 1-2 hours at a time, can I expect to probably have a schnapps (the game’s interestingly disguised save mechanic) on hand by the end of every such session, or will I feel forced to put in marathon sessions just to be able to save my progress? If I do save often (like after every 1-2 hours of gameplay), will acquiring that many schnappses impact my in-game economy significantly? In the YouTube gameplay I’ve watched, schnappses seem to be scarce and difficult to afford early game. Given that they’re purchasable items, I can only assume they become more easily attainable late game, as the player character rises in status and attains more worldly wherewithal. Maybe I’ve missed something?

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Rhoderic Rhoderic.

It’s very easy to get schnapps,  just time consuming.

First thing you do is learn to read,  then go to any place that has a alchemy table. The recipe for schnapps is 1 nettle two belladonna.

Can easily be picked or bought for a low price.

For about 12 grochen you get enough to make 3 or so schnapps.  But making them takes some time. I usually take 10 minutes every now and then to make 3 or 4 schnapps.  As you level up your alchemy  you’ll make more potions per time you make one. So once you’ve reached level 5 you make 2 at  time and at level 8 you make 3 at a time. At that point you can make 12 schnapps in 7 minutes (still a bit boring)

And at level 10 you can auto make them.

So it’s not hard or expensive,  just a bit boring and time consuming.

But they have added the ability to save when you quit,  even if you don’t have the schnapps.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

That’s reassuring, thanks!

Thomaston
    Participant

@rhoderic
    I recommend you get the save mod. It took me a while to learn to read anda lot of travelling, the location is on the other side of the world map. Even with the mod you don’t have to use it all the time. The game also saves when you exit so that helps.

First day of playing the game gave me sever motion sickness, I turned the POV slider to max and it helps.
    Don’t buy armor, early on, loot is your friend. My favorite is to stumble into a skirmish, stay clear or hide far away until they leave the area and then armore and weapons more than you could carry. The best armor I got was when I went back to Skerit and looted Kumens who were fighting in the town.

YOU WILL LEARN TO HATE DOGS

SPOILER
    I got a saber by killing a Kuman while saving Capon on the hunting mission.

Tired is enough.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.