Home Forums General Tabletop RPG’s Review of Book about GMing

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A new book about being a gamesmaster in RPGs has just been published, I have done a quick review here. It is really good!

Participant

Darn – released on the 21st Dec so its not 100% guaranteed delivery by Santa for Jake ๐Ÿ™

Maybe an Easter gift – bookmarked.

Participant

Darn โ€“ released on the 21st Dec so its not 100% guaranteed delivery by Santa for Jake ๐Ÿ™

I have a pre-order in for my niece with my local bookshop – fingers crossed!

Participant

Interesting review. I only discovered his blog & YouTube recently. I’ll add it to my wish list ๐Ÿ™‚

Military history author

Participant

The book looks interesting. Would it be useful to non-role players? Iโ€™m always looking out for ideas and suggestions for how to organise and run wargame campaigns.

Participant

I am not sure how useful it would be. Directly useful…not very. Some bits might be helpful in world-building, or perhaps overlaying a politically-focused RPG on top of a wargames campaign – some of the NPC-focused stuff would help, as would running big social events, perhaps. Maybe the bit about different options for movement in in the wilderness – the difference between hex-crawls, point-crawls and route scenarios might be worth exploring. More indirectly, some of the thinking about how games work might help a bit…

I think that it might be worth a flick through in a library if wargaming was your primary focus but unless you are deeply interested in games design in general probably you can do without it – unless you do start playing role-playing games, in which case, it is almost indispensable ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

The book’s author, Justin Alexander, posts as The Alexandrian on Youtube and Twitch. I like his posts but they are very much about GM-ing Roleplaying Games like D&D, Starfinder, Infinity, etc., etc.

As a GM of almost 40 years standing I feel he mainly reminds me of things I’d forgotten I knew rather than teaching me anything new but for anyone just starting out as a GM I’d heartily recommend the book and the channels. Anyone like me, with an increasing list of “unknown knowns” as I age, might also enjoy the book. I’d be surprised if I didn’t learn a few new tricks from the book.

I’ve suggested the book as a possibly belated Xmas present from my older boy.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.