Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Review of Bruce Quarrie's Napoleon's Campaigns in Miniature

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Whirlwind
    Participant

For no better reason than that I found my copy of Napoleon’s Battles in Miniature lying around, here is a review! http://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/review-of-bruce-quarries-napoleons.html

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

John D Salt
    Participant

From the review:

“If an author is going to a “detailed” set of rules that includes lots of processes, then the rules will be less good the more they depart from history. As a lot of that history isn’t particularly well understood, detailed rules for combat casualties and morale create a lot of hostages to fortune.”

Words for rule-writers to live by, I think, and applicable to all periods of military history.

All the best,

John.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

I’ve still got a copy of those.

The background stuff was/is interesting. The rules were…perhaps typical of their time, and mired in minutiae.

Pages and pages of ‘national characteristics’ for moving, shooting, morale, subdivided by year? No thanks πŸ™‚

"I'm not signing that"

DM
    Participant

A lovely book and a lovely set of rules. I was given this for Christmas when it first came out and it became the standard segment of Napoleonic rules at our school wargames club. I read elsewhere how current wargamers find them too complex, and chuckle that we had 10 year olds read, understand and play them with no issues Β πŸ™‚

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

A lovely book and a lovely set of rules. I was given this for Christmas when it first came out and it became the standard segment of Napoleonic rules at our school wargames club. I read elsewhere how current wargamers find them too complex, and chuckle that we had 10 year olds read, understand and play them with no issues πŸ™‚

I got my copy in about 1980, when complex rules were quite the thing. They were complex, unwieldy, and mired in minutiae then, and they’re complex, unwieldy, and mired in minutiae now. Life’s far too short.

If any ‘current wargamer’ is unfamiliar with the rules, below are two pages (of four) of the aforementioned national characteristics. πŸ˜‰

"I'm not signing that"

Victoria Dickson
    Participant

I borrowed these from the library several times (I borrowed everything from the wargames shelf several times, my favourite was and is Wargame Tactics by Charles Grant), but never played them.

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Wargame Tactics by Charles Grant)

I’ve got a copy of that too. πŸ™‚

"I'm not signing that"

Guy Farrish
    Participant

Oh how we argued in the late 70s whether Quarrie’s rules were a Great Leap Forward or a blind alley of overcomplicated trivia!

I last played them (an amended version, under the control of an umpire who was a mathematician at GCHQ (no honestly!)) in c1989 – they gave some very odd results regardless of the arguments about the ‘validity’ of Frenchmen being supermen and British, Gods.

I remember being interested and impressed with some of the ways of presenting the information, the tables diagrams and drawings, but the interpretation of it was, at best, contentious and the rule mechanisms clunky.

Household Cavalry fire factor the same as Austrian Grenadiers? Bl**dy cheek, British donkey wallopers should be able to outshoot anyone from the saddle!

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

Household Cavalry fire factor the same as Austrian Grenadiers? Bl**dy cheek, British donkey wallopers should be able to outshoot anyone from the saddle!

Austrian jaeger and Portuguese cacadore 2, British rifles 1?

Sharpe wouldn’t have been impressed πŸ˜‰

"I'm not signing that"

Guy Farrish
    Participant

French Voltigeur 3!

Back to Household cav, anybody remember why the cavalry have a fire factor anyway?

I mean I know they had carbines but in a game at that level would they have used them? I can see in a skirmish game of vedettes and outposts it would be good to have rules for firing carbines but in a battle? For Household Cav?

Oh God! I’m back in the 70s!

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

French Voltigeur 3! Back to Household cav, anybody remember why the cavalry have a fire factor anyway? I mean I know they had carbines but in a game at that level would they have used them? I can see in a skirmish game of vedettes and outposts it would be good to have rules for firing carbines but in a battle? For Household Cav? Oh God! I’m back in the 70s!

Yeah, but think of the fun you can have walking/trotting your cavalry up to an infantry square and have them fire off their carbines…

"I'm not signing that"

Guy Farrish
    Participant

If only Milhaud’s cuirassiers had had a fire factor how different Waterloo would have been eh?

Not Connard Sage
    Participant

We’d all be speaking French.

"I'm not signing that"

DM
    Participant

“They were complex, unwieldy, and mired in minutiae then, and they’re complex, unwieldy, and mired in minutiae now.”

Opinion is clearly divided on that matter πŸ™‚

Guy Farrish
    Participant

And a good thing too.Β It would be a sad world where everyone…well you get the drift.

I don’t think it was the complexity; we did play games with them, but we didn’t really want to after a while. Odd things kept happening. Now it may have been because at least one of the group had the attitude that if it didn’t say you couldn’t interpret them as allowing ‘X’ he would do it, regardless of whether anyone in the history of Napoleonic warfare ever did ‘X’ or not. But we did get peculiar results which seemed to detract from the fine tuning of the various characteristics. They seemed to work the wrong way round for me – bottom up rather than top down but it is so long since I tried them that I can’t remember details. I just have this ‘not thanks’ feeling when I see the cover.

They are of course available again through John Curry’s ‘History of Wargaming Project’, so people can easily see if they like them or not.

Happy New Year everyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.