Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Rheinbund regiments

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Radar
    Participant

My Napoleonic project moves steadily onwards (small Duchy of Warsaw force completed), next up the Rheinbund.

Maybe my googlefu is weak, but I am struggling a bit with some of the designations. Some excellent info on Perry’s site but I am a little confused (with 1st, 3rd, and 5th regiments)

1st Regiment Wurzburg?

2nd Regiment Nassau

3rd Wurzburg again? Or Nassau?

4th Saxon Duchies

5th Anhalt Lippe, but I’ve seen Lippe as 1st BN but also 2nd, and Anhalt 2nd and also 1st.

6th Reuss-Waldeck

7th Mecklenburg-Schweiren

Any clarifications greatfully received.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Radar. Reason: Not engaging brain
    Bandit
    Participant

Per John Gill:

1st Regiment: Nassau (2nd Nassau)
    2nd Regiment: Nassau (1st Nassau)
    3rd Regiment: Wurzburg
    4th Regiment: Saxon Duchies
    5th Regiment: Anhalt and Lippe
    6th Regiment: Reuss, Waldeck, and Schwarzburg
    7th Regiment: Mecklenburg-Schwerin

Some of their uniforms are covered in John Elting’s Napoleonic Uniforms v.III (pretty hit or miss). We also include plates for them in our Campaign Guides where they fought. Our 1813-1 Campaign Guide: We shall meet in Vienna, 1813 in Germany, includes plates for the 4th Rhinebund Infantry. As we hit campaigns where the others were involved, we plan to include them as well.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Radar
    Participant

Thanks for that. Still confused though. I’ve seen more references to Wurzburg as the 1st Regiment than the 3rd. Info on Perry’s site says 1st, but then 3rd in French designations. So I’m guessing the Germans called Wurzburg the 1st and the French called them the 3rd?

Plus who in their right mind would put the 2nd Nassau as 1st Rheinbund, and the 1st Nassau as 2nd Rheinbund?

Bandit
    Participant

I suspect – as you hint at – that it all had to do with when a regiment was “inducted” and the differing designations between the two army systems.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Iain Fuller
    Participant

And don’t forget the Frankfurt Regiment! Quite a nice uniform and present in both Spanish and Central European campaigns in the later years.

Radar
    Participant

When I first started 15mm Napoleonics (back in the day when 15mm was sole of foot to top of head, so a very long time ago) I was inspired by the Funcken books. I needed a Larry light ambulance, sappers, and always wanted some of those obscurely unformed troops from the colour plates which are nowhere near the appropriate text (volume 2).

I  had sappers from the off (not too exotic then). Figures were brought out of 30 year retirement and lots of Naismith figures were sourced. A Larry light ambulance came from Minifigs, and I worked out which figures could have a paint conversion (look away button counters, you won’t like it). Those units have risen to the top of the lead mountain, and they are this week’s goal (3, 4, 5.1, 5.2, and 6th regiments). Almost done. Basing to do. Lucky me, hate basing.

Next up Saxons and Bavarians. Then Hanover and Sweden, before proper sized armies from Austria, Russia and Prussia.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.