Home Forums General General Rick Priestley

Tagged: 

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    MikeMike
    Keymaster

Was there a book a while ago which he co-wrote that attracted some controversy?

Russell PhillipsRussell Phillips
    Participant

Yes. I think it was Tabletop Wargames: A Designers’ and Writers’ Handbook.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

That was it, cheers!

craig cartmellcraig cartmell
    Participant

It was written with my friend John Lambshead.

There was a section that drew a lot of unwelcome attention. Their intention was not bad, but the delivery of that section was poor.

The rest of the book is pretty sound.

Cheers,
    Craig

The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare

Phil DutréPhil Dutré
    Participant

The book is pretty ok, and gave me some good insights in how a commercial wargame is designed.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Phil DutréPhil Dutré
    Participant

It was written with my friend John Lambshead. There was a section that drew a lot of unwelcome attention. Their intention was not bad, but the delivery of that section was poor. The rest of the book is pretty sound.

What chapter was that?

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Is it indelicate to ask what the controversy was about?

Steve Johnson
    Participant

The comment in the book offended the LGBQT+ community IIRC. The point being made was poorly worded and the response was less than ideal shall we say.

Steve63
    Participant

The comment in the book offended the LGBQT+ community IIRC. The point being made was poorly worded and the response was less than ideal shall we say.

????

Stuart Farquhar "Stuart Farquhar"
    Pepe "Stupid what?"

McLaddieMcLaddie
    Participant

I missed that on comment in the book. I thought the sections on presenting and writing rules, and the language of design were very well done and valuable. The chapter on scale was frankly bizarre, and I at first thought the controversy was over that chapter.

Gone Fishing
    Participant

Thank you, Steve. Haven’t read the book or the comment, but I’d suspect it was rather a storm in a teacup…In the interviews and such that I’ve read, RP has always come across as a very decent fellow.

Participant

Some might argue it was a storm in a teacup, but it caused genuine distress. I didn’t see any reaction from Rick Priestley, so have no idea what his thoughts were or are.

I did see reactions from John Lambshead. He refused to apologise and was insulting and nasty to anyone that suggested he should.

It may have been intended as a harmless joke. But in that case, I don’t understand why he wouldn’t simply say sorry. I’ve caused upset without intending to any number of times. And my first reaction, on realising that I’ve accidentally upset someone, is to apologise.

Mr. Average
    Participant

This is 100% passing me by. Is there a reason this controversy dare not speak its name? Because there’s about zero I know or can find on this subject so this thread reads like an inside job to me.

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

I’m afraid that curiosity got the better of me and Amazon delivered my copy at 7.40pm this evening.  The offending part is a small section on the use of gender (he/she/they etc.) in the writing of wargame rules.  It was maybe a little clumsy in parts, but I didn’t read anything that I could imagine causing genuine distress.  Maybe it was Lambshead’s response that caused that reaction, to judge from what is written above.

Before I joined Facebook I thought that a) most people were reasonable and intelligent, and b) they could spell words correctly. Guess what ......

Guy FarrishGuy Farrish
    Participant

Mr Average – if you or anyone else wants enlightening: see here

I am not endorsing or criticising the blog linked to, its reading of the situation or the book or its critics – but if people want to know what it was/is about, there it is.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Thanks! Description is not the same as advocacy and so I’m just interested in knowing what we’re discussing here.

MikeMike
    Keymaster
    Participant

It was maybe a little clumsy in parts, but I didn’t read anything that I could imagine causing genuine distress. Maybe it was Lambshead’s response that caused that reaction, to judge from what is written above.

I think it was the sentence, “Let’s face it, the image of Dave suddenly transmogrifying into Davina is enough to unsettle anyone — the reverse even more so.” that upset people, and I can see why it would cause genuine distress. I’ll try to explain why.

A lot of transphobia comes from the idea that men will pretend to be women in order to assault women. I’ve seen it in discussion around “bathroom bills” in the US, and reform of the Gender Recognition Act in the UK. Obviously, this isn’t the place to debate these, but I mention them in order to provide context. There is plenty of transphobia around the idea that a man will put on a dress in order to assault women. “Dave suddenly transmogrifying into Davina” could very easily be seen as an expression of that, and that could certainly cause genuine distress.

Lambshead’s response certainly didn’t help, but I don’t think that was the only issue.

deephorsedeephorse
    Participant

Mr Average – if you or anyone else wants enlightening: see here I am not endorsing or criticising the blog linked to, its reading of the situation or the book or its critics – but if people want to know what it was/is about, there it is.

Thanks for that.  It doesn’t seem to be the start of the discussion but it was useful nonetheless.  On a separate issue I do wish that people would not produce blogs or print books with white text on black backgrounds, or am I the only one whose retinas cannot cope with it?

Before I joined Facebook I thought that a) most people were reasonable and intelligent, and b) they could spell words correctly. Guess what ......

Guy FarrishGuy Farrish
    Participant

I can cope with it, but I’d rather I didn’t have to.

:^)

The vague dig at the Trans community at the end was both uncalled for and completely unnecessary.  For the record, I was mildly interested in the book until I saw who it was by.  For me, it would undoubtedly be filled with all sorts of GW style advice.  I like simplicity, 6 siders and saving throws but I dislike buckets-o-dice.

John

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

--Abraham Lincoln

Sane MaxSane Max
    Participant

Odd…. I had not heard the name John Lambshead in a long time and then I remembered – ‘Fall of the West’.

I was told it had two authors – one did the background stuff and another did the army lists. The Background was very good indeed. The lists were bloody terrible.

and that’s all I knew about John Lambshead.

So the question is – who wrote the bits about designing games, and who did the bits about insulting Women and Trans gamers?

warwellwarwell
    Participant

John Lambshead also wrote One Hour Skirmish Wargames, which I thought was pretty good.

I blogged my impressions of the game and a battle report.

Adrian Arnold
    Participant

The reviews have been an interesting read on this one – I’ve been trying to make my mind up about ordering a copy of this – and it sounds that, other than a few nuggets of info it is very much an explanation or possibly even justification of why they have wrote the style of rules they have over the years, rather than discussing the various considerations around designing rules.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.