Home Forums Terrain and Scenery RINGS of POWER Project #1 House with fireplace

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hello, everyone!!! I present to you the first video of the Rings of Power project. The idea is to make a gaming table inspired by the town that appears in the series. Each house is independent of the table to be able to store everything better. I hope you like it!!

Keymaster

Nice work. I like how you made the arch stick out.

Good building and a nice project idea!

😀

Thanks!!

Participant

Awesome work. I have a question from a potential beginner. Do you start with foam core (light card on either side of foam) or is the base material you use just foam? If the latter what would it be called if I wanted to buy some in an art(?) shop. And where would I get it, an art supply shop, craft shop or dollar store? Thank you.

Thank you so much!. The material I use is XPS extruded polystyrene. This material is used as thermal insulation in the walls. I buy it in sheets and then cut it with the Proxxon. What I do is cut thinner sheets and those are the walls. You can buy this material in DIY and construction stores like Home Depot. You can also find it on Amazon.

Participant

So when I cut EPS with a saw the surface is basically open cells. When you cut with the hot wire is it smoother or do you have to cover the surface with a smoothing agent (paint or filler) or distress the surface like with the tool which seems to crush down the surface to allow the other area (arch in your case) to be proud? Thank you for answering newbie’s questions.

Participant

This is a great looking building.  You make it all look so easy!  The clarity of your filming is great, I really appreciate how much work you put into these videos.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

So when I cut EPS with a saw the surface is basically open cells. When you cut with the hot wire is it smoother or do you have to cover the surface with a smoothing agent (paint or filler) or distress the surface like with the tool which seems to crush down the surface to allow the other area (arch in your case) to be proud? Thank you for answering newbie’s questions.

XPS and EPS are different. EPS are balls or bubbles and it is very difficult to work with to make stone textures. I use it to fill or use it as a base. If you want to use EPS, and make it smooth, you will have to give it a layer of putty, but I do not recommend it. The best thing is to use XPS (EXTRUDED POLYSTYRENE)

Participant

OK. Got that. Thank you.

Keymaster

This kind of stuff:

Perfeclan 5x crafts Modelling Building Crafting Scenic 295x100x30mm https://amzn.eu/d/di8OJze

Though maybe not that thick.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.