Home Forums General General RIP My Beatties Liquid Poly

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The bottle of Liquid Polystyrene I bought at Beatties in Newcastle to stick together some ‘Warhammer Armies’ Skaven has run out.

do the People who make Liquid Polystyrene cement make much from it I wonder? It’s like ‘I entered a competition and won a year’s supply of Marmite – one jar’

🙂

Participant

Just about every bottle of liquid poly I’ve had has evaporated long before it could be used up. You must have got the bottle with the airtight cap.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Keymaster

I lost or spilled mine before they got used.

Participant

Beatties.

I must have spent months in total in Beatties model shops.

Defunct 2001?

So at least 19 years – how much/little modelling do you do!

I suppose  in the circumstances the advice to buy a litre bottle of Methyl Ethyl Ketone for about £10 is somewhat pointless?

It’s the active ingredient in many/most? liquid poly cements – sometimes known as Butanone and is sold under various brand names containing MEK for modellers for anything from about £4 to £10 for 100ml – quite a mark up. But as you say most people aren’t using it in huge quantities.

You could buy a litre and bequeath it to your grandchildren?

Participant

Beatties in Brum sold SPI and AH games*. It also featured the most miserable assistant ever on its model railway counter.

*So did GW a few doors down. The 80s were truly a golden age 🙂

If you use a lot of MEK without the correct PPE your grandchildren won’t have long to wait 🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I lost or spilled mine before they got used.

Cut a bottle sized hole in the cap of an aerosol can. Insert bottle. Instant spill resistance 🙂

Participant

Beatties in Brum sold SPI and AH games*. It also featured the most miserable assistant ever on its model railway counter. *So did GW a few doors down. The 80s were truly a golden age 🙂

If you use a lot of MEK without the correct PPE your grandchildren won’t have long to wait 🙂

You’ll be telling me not to use carbon tetrachloride* to clean rails next.

Health and safety gone mad!

*(Don’t use carbon tet, even if you can get it, and for ****’s sake don’t smoke near any of these chemicals – MEK is very volatile and carbon tet has a nasty habit of turning to phosgene when near fire – as when inhaled through a burning cigarette!).

Participant

Beatties in Brum sold SPI and AH games*. It also featured the most miserable assistant ever on its model railway counter. *So did GW a few doors down. The 80s were truly a golden age 🙂

You’ll be telling me not to use carbon tetrachloride* to clean rails next. Health and safety gone mad! *(Don’t use carbon tet, even if you can get it, and for ****’s sake don’t smoke near any of these chemicals – MEK is very volatile and carbon tet has a nasty habit of turning to phosgene when near fire – as when inhaled through a burning cigarette!).

Long before I entered it, my industry used carbon tet fire suppression systems. What fun.

Not that the later fire suppression systems – CO2, halon, were any less lethal 🙂

Participant

I was a volunteer fire guard (Well the course got you out of the office for a week) as a sideline to my real job when I was office bound for a while. The familiarisation tour of our very large computer suite made it clear that the benefits (considerable for electrical and electronic equipment) of Halon as a fire suppressant did not extend to the human occupants of the  building.

But as the nice man said, you could always get more techies, whereas some of the computers were hand built and irreplaceable.

Participant

Amazing where a post about liquid poly sold by a long defunct hobby shop leads isn’t it? 🙂

The resin that my 3D printer uses has to be cleaned up/removed with IPA. My Big Book of COSHH Risk Assessments gets more use at home than it does at work.

Participant

I shall skate quickly over the pal of mine who, in the early 1980s, borrowed a litre of toluene from work to use as polystyrene cement. I assume he must have lost it in a house move by now; I doubt he’s used it all.

I shall also waste little time on my horror at the contents of British WW2 tank fire extinguishers, which I discovered when writing the insanely-detailed briefings for my Sherman skirmish game, and “Churchill Troop Commander”. Carbon tet in Pyrenes I’d already heard of, but methyl bromide was a new and worrying discovery.

No, my aim here is merely to say “We know a song about that, don’t we, children?”, and to regale those of you who don’t with the sorry tale of Nobby Hall, an ordinary seaman (OD) who made improper and unauthorised use of carbon tetrachloride (CTC) to dry-clean his uniform. Words by Cyril Tawney, performed by Cyril himself and Shep Woolley and doubtless others.

Nobby Hall, a young OD
    Cleaned his suit in CTC
    Hung it in the mess to dry
    His oppo lay asleep nearby
    All night long, the fumes arose
    And drifted by his oppo’s nose

When the shakers voice was heard
    One there was who never stirred
    The funeral was a grand affair
    The RNBT Rep. was there
    Poor Nobby wept, for days on end
    To think he’d poisoned his best friend

So sailors all, be warned by me
    If you clean your suit in CTC
    Always take the utmost care
    To hang it in the open air
    Or even better, if you can
    Hang it by the Wardroom Fan.

All the best,

John.

Participant

Next you’ll be telling me not to pour acetone over my hands, like we used to do during chemistry lessons.  The evaporation sensation was marvellous.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

Next you’ll be telling me not to pour acetone over my hands, like we used to do during chemistry lessons. The evaporation sensation was marvellous.

Nah, acetone’s reasonably safe if you moisturise afterwards. Just don’t set fire to your hands 🙂

Participant

we used to nick Mercury by the spoonful at school and play with it for hours 🙂 and no ill-effects. Kids these days, etc etc etc

Yes, I do very little modelling – far too cackyhanded for airfix as a kid, so it only gets used when I give in to foolish temptation and buy boxed plackies. One of my Lockdown challenges was to paint all the boxed plastic I had bought over to the years. I was only 12 Arab Cavalry from finishing, and lo, I am back in the office next week. 🙁

Participant

Magnesium ribbon, rickets, jumpers for goalposts <looks wistfully into the middle distance>. Kids today don’t know they’re born.

Participant

Amazing where a post about liquid poly sold by a long defunct hobby shop leads isn’t it? 🙂 The resin that my 3D printer uses has to be cleaned up/removed with IPA. My Big Book of COSHH Risk Assessments gets more use at home than it does at work.

You wash your printer in India Pale Ale? Lucky printer!

John Treadaway

www.hammers-slammers.com
    http://www.hammers-slammers.com

"They don't have to like us, snake, they just have t' make the payment schedule" Lt Cooter - Hammer's Slammers

Amazing where a post about liquid poly sold by a long defunct hobby shop leads isn’t it? 🙂 The resin that my 3D printer uses has to be cleaned up/removed with IPA. My Big Book of COSHH Risk Assessments gets more use at home than it does at work.

You wash your printer in India Pale Ale? Lucky printer!

I hear it’s also a great hair conditioner!

Anyone washing with beer been complimented on their luxurious mane at HMGS conventions and/or been hit on by an elderly actor?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.