Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Rivers and Roads from Wargamer's Terrain

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

In my continuing quest to build a better looking wargame table (’tis been a long and arduous road, slowly but surely I’m getting there) I recently put in an order with Wargamer’s Terrain for some rivers and roads. Not long thereafter I received them, and they’re fantastic! I wanted to show them off a bit, give others a look at the products, and say thanks to Joe Linares, the proprietor of Wargamer’s Terrain, who was an absolute Prince regarding the order. So here’s a quick blogpost to show you what I received; they feature in the next batrep you’ll see from me, probably tomorrow.

I don’t have a lot to say, so bear with me, mostly it’s gonna just be you looking at photos. I didn’t really plan this out, just threw some stuff on the table; here you’re looking at some of the rivers and roads spread across a 3′ x 3′ setup. This is not all of the rivers and roads; I bought a full set of both, and the came delivered in a fine, sturdy box. This is only some of it, there’s a bunch still in the box!

Overall, I’d guess I probably just purchased over 5 foot each of rivers and roads. To see a bunch more photos, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/07/rivers-and-roads-from-wargamers-terrain.html

I’m very happy, they look absolutely great. I’ve got two more batreps from this past weekend to post, both of which use the roads here, and one uses the river as well. So keep your eyes peeled!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

They look so much better than your carpet hills……….no really I am proud of ya Just Jack.

Participant

I keep looking to buy some hills, but I haven’t seen any that tickle my fancy.  Trust me, I want some new ones.

V/R,

Jack

Participant

Jack:

I love the rivers but the roads look a bit basic. Those rivers are cool and I like the sheen on them. The flocking on the margins is great too.

Cool stuff Jack.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

I’m trying to buy the Battlefront rivers but they are always OOP when I have money.

Participant

Rod’s always a downer 😉

Though I agree, the rivers are certainly prettier than the roads.  I need to figure out a way to put ruts or something in them, without destroying them.  What I love about them is that they’re very flexible, and would drape nicely over hills.

V/R,
    Jack

My home made efforts look too basic so in the last few days I have ordered scenery from a few different suppliers to see how they go. I’ll take a look at Wargamer’s Terrain too.

Thanks for the post.

Participant

I agree with the general trend here – I really like those rivers, I don’t think so much of the roads though, they don’t really match up to the look of the rivers.

My problem with terrain is that I always go ‘Oh I need Roads’ so I buy some roads. Then a few years later I go ‘Oh I need more roads’ and buy some more roads from someone else… then bridges from someone else… nothing looks quite ‘Joined Up’

If I ever become feelthy reech I will find some bloke and pay him to make me a load of every single terrain I can think of in the same idiom.

Participant

Roads I find are quite simple to make, and I have a couple of different variants that I can do myself. Rivers on the other hand… I have none and don’t even know where to begin with making them.Blue strips of cloth seem too simple.

Participant

Rivers? Rivers are a doddle.

Just made some out of Caulk. £1.00 a tube at Wilko’s.

Draw river section patterns on Greaseproof paper with a really bright marker pen

attach paper very firmly to flat surface (lots of tape all sides to prevent it rucking)

squirt caulk out and spread really, really thin with a big spatula. If you can see the paper underneath it’s too thin, but too thick is more of a problem. ideally you want to be able to detect the pattern you drew on the paper underneath

Use a cheap old brush to texture the river in line with the patterns.

Allow to set at least overnight

When certain it’s set, cut the shapes out, paint them, gloss varnish them for shiney, then build up the edges with flock.

I did this last week after musings on the process and it took no time at all.

If, like they very occasionally do, go crinkly, I will then glue them to some of those dirt-cheap self adhesive floor tiles you can buy at B&G for £6 a box of 12

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.