Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Rivoli at Historicon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bandit
    Participant

Thanks to Doug and Mitch for putting on a terrific game at Historicon.

The Battle of Rivoli in 15mm at 1″=75 yards using ESR Napoleonics.

You can read a brief AAR of their game as well as see more photos in the TWC Gallery.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Mike
    Keymaster

Nice to see lots of open ground to cover, that always worried me with my Napoleonics.
    What sort of state would the troops be in when they got to the enemy, if they did!

๐Ÿ˜€

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Nice to see lots of open ground to cover

Er, yeah … because an entire range of hills seems to be missing … ?

The Rivoli position roughly comprises two concentric semi-circles of hills. One runs from the tip of Monte Magnone round to Rivoli itself; that seems to be present. But it looks as though the guys have conflated that with the outer ring which runs from San Marco round to Monte Pipolo, with Rivoli at its centre. This includes the Trombalore heights, for which I see in this game there is a label mis-placed on the inner ring. Take a look at this map to see what I mean (you’ll need to scroll down to find the thumbnail for “Map of Rivoli”):

http://www.jeanlannes.com/arcola

I applaud the endeavour, but it’s odd that this major terrain feature is missing when the hills have evidently been custom-made for the battle. Did some of them get left behind?

Chris

Bandit
    Participant

Er, yeah โ€ฆ because an entire range of hills seems to be missing โ€ฆ ?

I believe the gentlemen who ran the game used this map to guide their layout:

As to the accuracy of that map, or any modifications the game hosts made in order to put on the game, I can’t say, I know the players had a lot of fun.

Cheers,

The Bandit

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Bandit.
    Chris Pringle
    Participant

If the players had fun, that is the main thing – well done.

Chris

Bandit
    Participant

If the players had fun, that is the main thing โ€“ well done.

Chris

Also, I missed saying in my last post โ€“ excellent map you linked to. We haven’t taken on doing a French Revolutionary Wars module for ESR yet, but resources like that are what we’ll be looking to use. Thank you.

Cheers,

The Bandit

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.