Home Forums General General Rod Stewarts Railroad….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Grimheart
    Participant

Built over 23 years by the man himself, amazing terrain and buildings:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50403561

Interest include 6mm WW2, 6mm SciFi, 30mm Old West, DropFleet, Warlords Exterminate and others!

Mike
    Keymaster

It is.
    I have been watching The Great Model Railway Challenge https://www.channel5.com/show/the-great-model-railway-challenge/ and was surprised by what the judges thought was amazing modelling.
    I have always assumed that train folk were better at the modelling side in general than wargamers, but after watching two series’ of the show, I am thinking that maybe wargamers could teach them a trick or two.

jeffers
    Participant

My thoughts exactly! I’ve seen better terrain thrown together at a club night. In all my visits over the years to the Mevagissey model railway most of the comments have been about the scenery, never ‘what a marvellous Battle of Britain class’.

I like the way hotels set up an extra room for him as a workshop, complete with ventilation. I make models when I’m working away, but I have to make do with the pervading smell of liquid poly overnight. Explains many things….

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Derek H
    Participant

He says he made 90% of it himself – apparently he doesn’t like doing electrics.    Lovely piece of work.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Derek H.
    deephorse
    Participant

It is. I have been watching The Great Model Railway Challenge https://www.channel5.com/show/the-great-model-railway-challenge/ and was surprised by what the judges thought was amazing modelling. I have always assumed that train folk were better at the modelling side in general than wargamers, but after watching two series’ of the show, I am thinking that maybe wargamers could teach them a trick or two.

It wasn’t really a model railway challenge though, was it?  It was more about creating three or four ‘animations’ around a theme, and ensuring that they worked.  There were bonus points if your trains didn’t derail. In the three days that the teams had I thought that some of them created some interesting and imaginative layouts, but a true ‘model railway’ challenge it was not, and it shouldn’t be viewed that way.

Oh, and Rod Stewart’s work is amazing.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by deephorse.

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

Mike
    Keymaster

There were bonus points if your trains didn’t derail

I thought one of the three criteria was functionality.
    This included working trains as was marked on day two.
    Failure to have working trains resulted in lost marks, rather than marks added if they did work.
    Working trains was part of the brief and not a bonus.
    The bonus came from the scratch build challenge?

The challenge was to build a working layout in three days?
    (although they could bring prebuilds)

My remarks were about the judges being awed by what seemed in many cases below par wargames standard models/painting/terrain.
    The whole notion of MDF laser cut terrain and 3d printed seemed totally alien and sci-fi to them.

Don’t get me wrong, I have watched all of the series, and I love the show.
    I am just thinking were I a judge, I would not be as in awe of half of the stuff as they were.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Mike.
    willz
    Participant

Apparently Sir Rod called Jeremy Vines radio show to put him straight as he accused him of not building it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50403561

I watched the Great Model Railway Challenge found it interesting and good entertainment a bit tongue in check.  What I was wondering if we should contact channel 5 and purpose to them the “Great Wargaming / Modelling Challenge”, I would put up with a weekend in a hotel at their expense for the greater good of the hobby.   We could be celebrity  influencers within a week or two, I bags George Clonney to play my part in the movie.

Just think the scratch build challenge, a team member would be given a random object like a flip flop or a shower cap and have two hours to produce a beautifully painted 25mm samurai army with firing arrows.  A doodle for us wargamers, we would be able to refight Waterloo using 54mm figures on a 1 to 1 scale.  What about the great “Competition Wargame Challenge” think of the fun with that.

deephorse
    Participant

“I thought one of the three criteria was functionality.
    This included working trains as was marked on day two.
    Failure to have working trains resulted in lost marks, rather than marks added if they did work.
    Working trains was part of the brief and not a bonus.
    The bonus came from the scratch build challenge?”

I was being facetious there Mike!

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

Steve Johnson
    Participant

A friend of a friend of mine used to make some of the wagons for Rod. Not sure if he still does. Either way a fantastic set up.

A friend of mine here in Brazil who used to work for the BBC saw my posting of this on Facebook and responded “Yeah, I’ve seen Sir Rod do a few lines”.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.