Home Forums WWII Rommel, How To Play: A Video

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AbwehrschlachtAbwehrschlacht
    Participant

If you want to know how to play Sam Mustafa’s Rommel, here is a new video demonstrating and explaining some of the basic rules, please watch it here:

http://www.stormofsteelwargaming.com

OchoinOchoin
    Participant

I’ll admit it’s got me interested.

the ‘Little Wars’ people have covered the game in two videos:

donald

Participant

Cheers Donald,  it’s a good game so you are right to be interested! It’s pretty abstract so might not be for everyone, but I think it really has a great feel for the period and level of command. I saw the Little Wars videos, they are pretty good and I like their channel. I was very chuffed to see they started subscribing to me off the back of this video!

OchoinOchoin
    Participant

As I’m doing a lot of thinking about Campaigns, it strikes me ‘Rommel’ might be a good vehicle for the big picture stuff before getting down & dirty with ‘Blitz Kreig Commander’.

I hold the Little Wars people in some esteem & if they say ‘Rommel’ is good, well it is.

donald

Andrew Rolph
    Participant

Thanks for this. I’m curious about Rommel as I am considering ‘company as a stand’ level as my next project. Actually I have been for about 3 years…

Anyway, should you do any further rules reviews videos, I think you could do worse than using this as your template. Within its five or six minutes (which is a good length – doesn’t tax the attention overly) it very concisely hits all the key features. After watching it, I feel I have a good appreciation of how the main mechanics of the game work. Still don’t know whether I like it but that’s my problem/lack of decisiveness.

Specifically wrt Rommel a couple of things came to mind

1. The Operations dice mechanism is odd inasmuch as, as far as I can see, the number you roll (unless it’s a one) is irrelevant. Any 2-6 simply becomes a chit – which strikes me as a strange use for a dedicated random number generator. A similar (though not identical) set of results could be obtained by rolling a number of dice and deducting a fixed number. Say, 3D6 minus 8 (results of -5 to 10 and treat the minus numbers as one or two or three) generating the chips.
    2. The cross referencing a die roll with a column of combat factors to calculate hits, is interesting and novel…but does it allow for anything different to be produced rather than by rolling a number of D6? I believe Phil Dutre (sorry can’t produce an acute accent) of this very forum did an analysis of this and showed that the table was a statistical equivalent of a bucket of dice (or some other more familiar mechanism). And if the new mechanism doesn’t do anything new what’s its value?

Anyway it still looks to be a sound system and I probably ought to try it.

Thanks again for the video.

Cheers

Andrew

Thomaston
    Participant

Thanks, I like the suggestion about usung cards instead of dice pool.

Tired is enough.

Participant

Donald: I haven’t played Rommel in campaign form, but it could be a good way of moving units to then focus down on the tactical situation as a separate game. There’d be quite a bit of book keeping, recording where units were etc, but it could be done quite easily if you weren’t such a fan of the abstract nature of the game.

Andrew: Thank you very much, I have some other how to play videos on the channel, but they are mostly board games. Wargames is a new avenue for me, but I am going to do more, and soon. I’ve not worked out the chit rolls as much as you have, but if that works, I am sure it could be employed. I guess the rule system is a simpler version, ie, you just pick up three or six dice, without having to add up your pips then subtracting a number. I know it’s simple maths, but it’s still maths!

For the hits, you only roll a single D6, the weight of an attack and the shifts are the things that really matter in winning or losing in a combat situation. Also, Rommel is not a hit and destroy game, there is a large amount of attrition and no unit simply melts away until a few rounds of combat have occurred. The single dice will only give you a fixed number of results, unlike a 2D6 bell curve, for example, but if you make sure you have many units from one parent unit, artillery support and advantages from the tactics then you invariably will cause at least one hit on the opponent, even if you roll low. It’s a game about only attacking when you have a full advantage and an already weakened enemy. In this way, it’s different to having a bucket of dice IMO. The single dice is a lot cleaner than gathering up a bucket of dice as well!

Thomaston: We found very quickly that the Ops Sheet got in the way and was liable to be knocked flying. The cards took no time to create and vastly improved the flow of the game, in our experience.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.