Home Forums Terrain and Scenery rough guide to texture skins

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all, although this is by no means a tutorial I hope it gives some idea of the process of creating a building using foamboard and textures. Powerpoint does have its limitations because the more cutting and pasting the image begins to lose definition, if you can use Photoshop or Gimp (free) it is probably better. For my inspiration I paradrop the golden bloke on google maps into the Normandy countryside, scout about a bit, screen print an image and try to create the building. I usually drop where the bocage has not been cleared. My latest project can be located here on Google maps La Vallee, Les Oubeaux, Normandy.

1. try to match the main body of the building using textures.com
    2. next choose windows and doors that look old or broken
    3. use remove background to leave the doors/windows without their original stonework, then place on the main body where you please
    4. using the shadows option create and inner shadow on windows and doors to create some depth
    5. for scale I go for a medium base for 15mm figures and copy and paste a figure approx 18mm (this I use against stonework which gives me an idea of brick/stonework against a figure)
    6. Choose you roof and base it on strong card, add additional supports to keep its shape
    7. your buildings can be enhanced with drainpipes, advertising, broken/dirty plaster etc

here is a screen shot of work due to be printed

What kind of resolution doe the image have to be? Can this be done on normal deskjet printers? Any special paper?

Participant

Thomaston, I tried it on a normal home printer and the print lost definition. A local printer in town printed copies quite cheaply on good quality paper and they came out like photographs. By the way i used PVA to stick them to the foamboard, the windows can be recessed too for extra effect.

“the windows can be recessed too for extra effect”

Do you mean cutting holes is the print for another layer with windows printed?

I have a lot of questions, what format did you use, PNG/TGA with transparency?

Participant

Thomaston, i think the format is a default PNG on PowerPoint. The recessed doors and windows can be done using the shadow tool in Powerpoint or cut out the windows and use that as a template on your foamboard, then cut the window shape and stick the window image on the inside of the building. my preference is to cut through the paper lining the foamboard and use a wooden stamp to flatten the foam within the window shape and then stick your window image on top.

Thanks, I’m still amazed at what can be acomplished.

Participant

That is brilliant!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

There is a guy on ebay who used to sell them and they were used a lot by the 20mm Guild WW2 gamers. The models had recessed windows,doors and extra details added. Also I think they glued flock to the roofs to represent moss which looks very effective. Sorry I cant remember the name.

My 6mm Wargaming site https://6mm.wargaming.info

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.