Home Forums WWII Royal Marines Armoured Support Group

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jemima Fawr
    Participant

I’ve been photographing some long-forgotten units in my wargames armies. I did these about 20 years ago and I don’t think they’ve ever seen a game!

The Royal Marines Armoured Support Group in Normandy 1944

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Well now that you’ve shown them off you HAVE to get them onto a table for a game!  Can’t lead a troop on like that…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Well now that you’ve shown them off you HAVE to get them onto a table for a game! Can’t lead a troop on like that…

Very true.

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Very nice!

These guys provided fire support to the Canadians on D+1 to D=3 when they were fighting 21st Pz and 12th SS Pz, didn’t they? And that’s (I think) an unduly neglected episode that provides a relatively even match-up with plenty of armour and maneuver on both sides, great for wargames. Maybe you could field them for a piece of that action?

(I had a go at it the year before last in 6mm, blog post here; that was using a WWII variant of BBB that I’ve since abandoned in favour of Frank Chadwick’s excellent ‘Breakthrough!’ ruleset.)

Chris

Mike Headden
    Participant

Chris, I hadn’t heard of Breakthrough! before so did a quick search online but, other than a few “coming soon” type messages, can’t find anything much about them.

Is my google-fu weak today?

Are they available somewhere or still in development?

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Still in development, I’m afraid, Mike. I’ve been lucky enough to be in an outer circle of playtesters, so I’ve seen development versions of the rules, but they’re not published yet.

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Cheers Chris, finding accurate information on where/when/which batteries/how many were fighting after D-Day is truly frustrating, but I’ve got two examples from 11th June: elements of 1 RMSAR were fighting in support of 50th Division at Cristot and elements of 2 RMASR were fighting in support of 48 RM Cdo (under command of 3 Canadian Division) at Rots.

Mike Headden
    Participant

Still in development, I’m afraid, Mike. I’ve been lucky enough to be in an outer circle of playtesters, so I’ve seen development versions of the rules, but they’re not published yet.

Thanks, Chris!

At least I’m not missing something blindingly obvious. 🙂

At least now it’s on my radar.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.