Home Forums Modern Royal Marines in Helmand Province, 15mm Batrep

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Just Jack
    Participant

All,

I’ve been using Ivan Sorensen’s rules “Five Men at Kursk” quite a bit lately for skirmish gaming (not to mention his Five Men in Normandy and 5Core Company Command); a great set of rules ‘as is,’ but I just can’t help myself when it comes to tinkering with rules. I’ve been looking at getting heavily into Vietnam-era and Modern wargaming, but I wanted something a little different. Being me, I wasn’t exactly sure what all that entailed, but I definitely wanted to make it a bit more violent in order to take into account the greater lethality of modern warfare, as well as to better differentiate between modern, Western, professional forces and various hostile militia/insurgents. So, without thinking too much about setting and forces, and wanting really just to play a game to see if any of my ideas would work, I jotted down some ideas, grabbed the closest forces to hand, threw up a quick table, came up with a quick scenario, and got to it.

The next thing I knew I’d played three linked games and decided I should sort of retroactively come up with/turn this into another campaign. Put simply, I was having a great time and didn’t want it to end. I hope you guys like this much as I do. So a quick background, which is only semi-historical (i.e., I’m taking liberties with the units and all town/village and hostile personality names are fictitious).

The time is May 2011, and the Royal Marines’ 45 Commando has deployed for another tour in Afghanistan, this time to Helmand province. The area has been semi-quiet the past few months, but as we move from Spring into Summer the Taliban is becoming more active and the Royals are taking steps to counter these new enemy initiatives. The campaign will follow a Royal Marine rifle section during their missions in Helmand; I’m not going to do up a proper roster. Owing to the fact I’m rolling up forces for each side based on the scenario, it’s not likely I’ll ever have the entire section on the table at once, so you’ll see various characters come and go, though I plan (as usual) on following a key, central group.

The scenario is this: a team from our Royal Marine rifle section is on a normal, foot mobile presence patrol, having left their base and moving east to west. About an hour and a half into the patrol the radio crackles; approximately two kilometers to their north a local Taliban commander, designated “Raven,” has taken a force into the hamlet of Tashur, apparently on a tax collection mission. The Royals quickly huddle up, do a quick map study, formulate a plan of attack, and begin moving in that direction. HQ radios that no air is currently up, but should be in support by the time the Royals make the village.

Overview, north is up. The village of Tashur is at top, and the Royals will enter via the road at bottom center right. There are two craggy outcroppings (bottom left and bottom right) which may offer good vantage points, though the one in the southwest (bottom left) is not reachable as the river is deep enough to be not fordable. The road is hardball though heavily potholed, and there are a few fields and trees spread throughout.

The Brits are, from left to right: Pvt “Gimlet” Grabowicz (SA80), LCpl “Sparks” Anderson (SA80), Pvt “Jonesy” Jones (SA80 w/UGL), LCpl “Knocker” Dawes (top center, Minimi), and Corporal “Corp” Choudhry.

Sorry for the crappy lighting…

Sparks and Knocker have gotten up top on the eastern hill; Sparks is on the radio while Knocker makes good use of his Minimi. To see how the first fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/06/royals-in-helmand-circa-2011.html

Well, what a fight! That was a tremendous amount of fun! Quick, bloody, decisive, a bit heroic, it really felt right to me, like what I want out of these games. As I said, I’m writing after the fact, but at the time I wanted to see if this really worked the way I thought and I ended up playing two more games. And yes, I’m very happy with them, and will get the batreps out as quick as I can, and hopefully play some more this weekend (baseball is over, so no reason I know of that it won’t happen.

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

Alright, it’s time for the next episode of Royals in Helmand! In the last mission, Corp and the boys saved the village of Tashur from the evil clutches of the Raven and his Taliban henchmen. It’s now 7 May 2011, six days since the last fight. After a couple down days and several patrols with no contact, trouble is brewing again.

This mission is pretty similar to the last (as I was playtesting I didn’t really put a lot of thought into the scenarios, just lined them up and fought it out). Corp and his men are out on foot patrol when a local farmer approached to inform them a Taliban cell was up ahead in the village of Lisham. Corp brought the boys together and formed a plan of action then moved on the village, intent on evicting the unwelcome guests from the village.

Overview, north is up. The Royals will enter from bottom right, attacking into the village of Lisham. There are rocky outcroppings in the southwest and northeast, and a river running roughly west to east. The river is fordable along its length, though with a movement penalty. There are several fields and trees present, and stone walls throughout the village. These are low walls, maybe four feet high, not the customary eight or nine foot walls often seen in Afghanistan. A severely potholed hardball road runs through the village.

To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/07/royals-in-helmand-fight-2.html

Another great fight, a lot of fun. I’m really enjoying the rules mods, and now I’m really enjoying the story of this group of guys. I’ve got one more fight to post, wait ’til you see this!

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

I’ll read them later this weekend as I want something to look forward too.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Good report and I really liked the terrain. I had to look up what a hardball road was so you taught me something too. The RM beret is lovely, a nice touch to an excellent description of table top action. Thanks for posting this.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Just read Fight 2 to the reports of fireworks in the distance. It set the mood nicely. Good stuff although I did not get the whole flare detonation explanation for the Marines’ momentary lapse of élan and bravado. Good stuff. When will the Tallies open up a battle with an IED and where are the RM explosive sniffer dogs which usually accompany every patrol? This British TV series may give you some ideas:

Keep up the great work and keep enjoying yourself.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

irishserb
    Participant

That was cool, thanks for sharing it.

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod,

Thanks man.  I’m sure I’ll work in an IED somewhere, but the whole idea of doing foot patrols (vice mounted patrols) is to help out with that.  I think I do have a 15mm German Shepherd around here somewhere.

Regarding the flare, well, it’s happened many times throughout history.  Guys are carrying a lot of gear on their vests, in their packs, etc…, and a round comes in, hits it, but doesn’t injure the guy.  Of course, there are times when explosives or flamethrowers are hit and injure the guy plus a bunch of his buddies.  So a round hit a flare, and it spooked the heck out of two of the other Marines.

What happened in game terms was nothing more than the bad guy fired, knocking down the target and forcing two more to fall back (for me, a red 1 and two black 6s).  Rather than just have the two guys fall back from ‘normal’ fire, I decided to jazz the story up a bit.  Sorry man 😉

I should be able to post the third fight this evening.  I haven’t played any games yet, and I’m a little worried as the wife is acting like she has plans…

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Looking forward to it and don’t let crotchety, pedantic, old Robertson harsh your pugilistic mellow, man; he’s just an arse. Just keep scrapping away, any way you want. Is it time to give the boy a copy of the Quran and have him play the Taliban? – I’m sure your wife would just love that!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Just Jack
    Participant

Irish – Thanks man, glad you liked it, and I’m eagerly awaiting your next, giant game of Uwanda and Mugabia!

Rod – Nah, I like playing these all by myself.  And we’ll pass on the Quran; I’m Methodist and the wife is Buddhist, we’ve got plenty going on already! 😉

Next batrep coming right up.

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

It’s now 12 May 2011, five days from the last fight. True is still recovering from his gunshot wound, but the rest of the section is good to go and raring for a fight. This was actually a down day for the unit, pulling rear echelon duties around camp when a local source came in and reported the Taliban would soon be moving on Pasha Gal, the head of the local village of Khowt Gin. A UAV was dispatched to the area, but nothing out of the ordinary was noted. However, when another source came in and provided very similar information, suggesting the Taliban wished to convert the nominally neutral Pasha to their side or make an example of him, HQ decided to dispatch Corp and they boys to go and check it out.

The team mounted up in their armored troop carriers (sorry, I don’t recall what they are called and I’m too lazy to look it up right now) and headed out the 20-some odd kilometers to see what was up. About a klick out from Khowt Gin the vehicles laagered and the section dismounted, covering the rest of the distance on foot.

Overview, north is up. The village of Khowt Gin is at top left, with a craggy outrcop at top right and a river running roughly north south. The river can be forded anywhere along its length at a movement penalty. Again the walls are approximately four to five feet high, and the area is covered in crop fields, which the Royals will be coming across. The Pasha’s house is at top right; having heard of the coming trouble, the locals have fled the village except the Pasha and his wife, who have moved to the roof of their home to await their fate. And they have their trusty goat (provided by Kyote) near at hand.

To see how the fight turned out (and man, it was a doozy), please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/07/royals-in-helmand-fight-3.html

No game today, my wife had plans. I did get a little painting done (still working on Jimmi’s fantastic ARVN rifle platoon), and I printed out THW’s “Hell Hath No Fury,” so tomorrow I plan on at least playing some of that. I’m going to go with 6mm, but I don’t have any WWII stuff available right now, so I’m going to test it out with some modern stuff. I haven’t played them yet, but I like the rules so much I just placed an order for some WWII GHQ from Noble Knight Games.

My plan is for the boy and I to play coop against the AI (yeah, if you can’t beat’em, join’em). We’ll be a German tank platoon from 13th Panzer Division, starting off with Barbarossa and playing through the whole war on the Eastern Front.

As always, more to come.

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Nobby defuntus est? Ginger is gimped and Corp gets a VC? That was a game-changer. Good stuff and Pasha Gul approves!

13th Pz. Div. eh? Well you and the boy are in for a heck of a long scrap from Lubin to Pest. At one point in 1943 the division was down to just 7 tanks strength!

Cheers.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Very very cool, thank ya Just Jack !!!

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod – Yep, Nobby and Ginger are gone, one KIA and one invalided home.  Regarding 13th Panzer Division, maybe you can help.  What I’m looking for is a Panzer Division that was created right before Barbarossa, fought exclusively on the Eastern Front, and made it to the end of the war (though I don’t care if they finish in the Baltics, Berlin, Hungary, whatever).

Kyote – No sweat man, glad you like them.  And congrats on your win!  I think I told you, I purchased Team Yankee, and I’m working up some Arab Israeli for Yom Kippur in ’73 in 6mm.

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

The 13th Pz. Div. is a pretty good choice. Yes, they were all but destroyed between Nov. 1944 and Feb. 1945 but they had a combat filled run. You might also look at the 12thPz. Div. which ended the war trapped and fighting in the Courtland pocket, or the 17th and 18th Pz. Divs. which also fought long and hard until the very end. I think your choice is as good as any other and if you include the reconstituted pocket panzer division (the name of which escapes me now) that was built from the remains of the 13th then you can take it all the way until the end of the war.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I’ll look forward to your tales of the 13th Panzer Div. I’m starting to hit my stride in Team Yankee.

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

First up, a couple admin notes:

1. We’re changing the script. First, I’ve been using 45 Commando as my unit, and that’s a real unit. It happened because I wasn’t planning on a campaign and I thought it was cool to throw in, but I’m not a fan of using real units for a lot of reasons, in particular because these brave men (and women? I don’t know if the battalion has women or not) are still in harm’s way. So, the unit we are following is now a rifle section from 27 Commando, Royal Marines. Second, I’m backing this whole thing up; this started as “Royals in Helmand (Province)” in 2011, but now I’ve got bigger plans. So this is now 25 Commando, Royal Marines in Parwan Province, May 2002. I plan on following these brave lads through this tour in Afghanistan, then the invasion of Iraq in 2003 against Saddam’s troops, then in peace-keeping operations in Basra, Iraq (not sure which year yet), then we’ll do Helmand Province in Afghanistan, then maybe look at Libya during the Khaddafi takedown, and maybe even Syria versus ISIS. So we are now in Afghanistan, based out of Bagram Airbase, in 2002.

2. A lot of folks have been asking me what changes I’ve made to “Five Men At Kursk” to ‘modernize’ it a bit. My changes are in this blogpost, on the blog.

It’s now 24 May 2002*, twelve days since the last fight, and the section is out on a presence patrol, showing the flag and keeping the peace, looking to warm the populace up as the first elections are drawing near. A day that would be known as Black Friday for the Marines of 27 Commando…

The patrol moves up, and enemy troops come on the table. Overview of map, north is up. There is a village at right, an outcropping at bottom left (southwest), a smattering of trees, bushes, and cultivated fields, a hardball road running southeast to northwest, and two canals fordable by men, but at a movement penalty. There are also a couple stone walls in play, serving as hard cover.

To witness the carnage, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/07/royals-in-parwan-fight-4.html

Well, I don’t hope you liked it, but I hope you enjoyed the game. I’m caught up, now to get some more fights in this coming weekend.

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Cheers and good gaming in the time warp!

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Just Jack, could you use the same term all the way threw your AAR , the Terrorist or the Taliban ??? I’m old and it kept throwing me off.
    Those poor Marines…..dropped in the deep end.

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod – And what’s wrong with a time warp?  Not really a time warp, I just started this without thinking it through (it was just supposed to be a one-game playtest) and have now decided there’s more I want to do with these.  Part of it is Flytrap Factory’s fault, too: I’m going to use these RMs for this Afghan tour, and two in Iraq, but then I’m going to get those new RMs (the ones in Scenario Pack #5) and do more Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, etc…

Kyote – Wah, wah, wah!  Terrorist/Insurgent/Taliban/Talib/Bad Guy=the guys the Royal Marines are fighting.  And yes, it was quite the rough day.  I’ve played two more of these so far, working on the batreps.

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

Yeah, blame Anton for your butterfly-wargaming proclivity. Maybe he should rename his business Butterflytrap Factory?  Just keep flitting from one campaign-flower to the next and eventually you will finally cross the Meuse with Kampfgruppe Klink! Of course by the time that happens Sgt. Rock and the boys will be flushing Viet Cong out of tunnels along the Loatian border while proto-Soviets and proto-NATO forces fight Napoleonic invaders supported by Cuba-Libre mercenaries and Royal Marine Commandos in the nearly radioactive Baltic States!  Face it Jack, you’re a tabletop pixie darting from one campaign to the next with bewildering speed. I blame television, the internet and too much sugar in your diet for your ADHG (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Gaming). It is both your curse and your driving muse!

Just yanking your chain, Marine; so keep up the great work, Jack! 

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

PS. I’ll be gone for a week to ten days so you’ll have a break from my nit-picking and lame humour.

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod,

Yep, it’s definitely Anton’s fault!  And it’s funny you mentioned, KG Klink, I was just looking through that stuff recently.  Too many projects, not enough time.  Have a good time wherever you’re going, take care.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Wait Rod !!! I beat the Commies yesterday !!!! Team Rebel racked up another 6-0 victory !!!! This time I didn’t move my ambush and it worked !!!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

It’s now 3 June 2002, ten days since the last fight, and the “Loya Jirga” (“Grand Assembly, where tribal leaders were invited to Kabul to vote on the leadership of a transitional government) is drawing near.  Pasha Gul of Khowt Gin has been invited, but the Royal Marines have received information that the Pasha (as many have been) is being targeted by the Taliban, as well as powerful warlords, trying to sway his vote, or keep him from voting altogether.  Pasha Gul is determined to make the trip to Kabul; in order to ensure his safety he’s been offered helicopter transport, as well as an armed convoy, both from ISAF.  But not wanting to look a tool of the Westerners, he has declined both, insisting there is no threat.  But battalion has received credible information the Taliban is moving on the Pasha this very moment.  This comes at a very bad time, when much of the battalion is already committed, so our rifle section, beat up as it is, is sent.

It’s 2345 local time; the section has moved as quick as possible to Khowt Gin, and now they have dismounted and are entering the Pasha’s compound on foot.

Overview, north is up.  The Pasha’s compound is at far right, with another villager’s home just below (bottom right), a third home at bottom left, and an orchard between them.  There is a dense thicket of woods at center left, known as Central Park, and other than that the battlefield is made up of cultivated fields.  You can see the forces at right; a bit of a disparity with nine bad guys and five good, but the Royal Marines will have the advantage of night vision gear.

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/07/royals-in-parwan-fight-5.html

These fights have been very quick and bloody; I reckon none of these have taken up more than four minutes of ‘real-life’ time.  It certainly feels right for the era.  I hope you liked it, I’m working on the next one.  I only got two games in this past weekend, both RMs in Afghanistan, though the table is set for Panzer Aces.  I’ve also been painting…

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

I like how you treated the NVG making the Royals fire more accurate. Thanks Just Jack.

Just Jack
    Participant

Thanks John, glad you liked it.  And congratulations on beating the Soviets back!

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

It’s now 20 June 2002, seventeen days since the last fight, and Royal Marines are in Kabul.  They escorted Pasha Gul safely to the Loya Jirga, and maintained security for it (as part of ISAF) until its close on 19 June 2002.  But with their protection mission completed the Section is looking to visit the merchant recommended them by Pasha Gul, the man that can tell them who ambushed them and their location.

The outskirts of Kabul, north is up.  A built up area with a canal running north-south down its center, the Marines will enter from the east (right), looking to reach the Merchant’s home and place of business, the large compound at far left.  You can also see the forces at right, ten Marines and ten Taliban.

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/07/royals-in-parwan-fight-6.html

More to come, though first up will be the second Panzer Aces fight from the tank platoon embroiled in Operation Barbarossa.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

I waited to read this one as it’s been a long hot week for me. Excellent, thanks Just Jack. So where are your Panzers ?????

Just Jack
    Participant

No sweat, and Panzers roll at first light.

V/R,

Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

I really liked fights #5 and #6 for the Royal Marine Commandos. The buildings in #6 looked great! Both battles were exciting and very well narrated. Given the trouncing that the RMC’s are handing out to the Taliban perhaps it’s time to field more baddies and make this truly asymmetrical warfare! Good stuff Jack and thanks for posting these. They’re good fun to read and think about!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod,

Thanks man, and I’m glad you like them.  Regarding more Talis on the board, it’s something I’ve been thinking about, and I’m not sure how to proceed.  In the overall scheme of things, I’m following a group of ten guys (and their replacements when they are WIA-evac’ed and KIA), and I don’t want to lose everyone.  One, that’s not realistic (no Western force is constantly getting whooped/wiped out by the Taliban), and it kills the narrative (hard to follow a group of guys when it’s a new group each fight; kinda why I’ve lost interest in “The Last Fifty Yards,” all my guys are gone!).

Another issue is that quite a bit of combat in these real-life asymmetric fights is indirect fire, IEDs, and very long range engagements (particularly in Afghanistan, from one mountaintop to another, where each side is using mortars, rockets, and heavy machine guns as small arms won’t reach), and I’m not looking to model that in my table top games.  The reason for this is simple: it’s boring (in my opinion) to have a Western force fired on from extreme long range, followed by: 1) the enemy simply withdrawing (quite frequent with 107mm and 122mm rockets; set them up on a timer, leave, the rockets launch, hit a Western position, counterbattery strikes empty ground where the rockets launched from); 2) the Western force and insurgents exchange mortar and HMG fire at 1000m until Western air gets there and pounds the bad guys/drives them off; or 3) the Western force and insurgents exchange mortar and HMG fire at 1000m while the Western force mounts up heads out to the enemy position, only to find the bad guys have left.

So I keep my fights at extreme close range; it’s very dramatic, very quick, very bloody, and helps to offset Western technological advantages (a return to General Giap’s ‘hugging the belt’).  BUT, that puts the Taliban closer on par with the Royal Marines, meaning even they can’t miss at such short ranges, and I adding too many bad guys to the table would probably throw off the balance.

Having said that, I played fights 7 and 8 this weekend, and tallied it all up.  The Taliban have lost 49 KIA and 3 captured, while the Royal Marines have lost 3 KIA, 4 WIA – evacuated and medically discharged/retired, 1 WIA – evacuated and and retained in service but unfit for combat duty, and four more WIA that remained in theater with the unit (ambulatory, able to return to full duty).  Looking at the casualties writ large there is definitely a disparity, but at the same time, only four members of the original 10-man section finished the tour.   So I’m a bit reticent about adding too many more bad guys to the fights, particularly given the difficulty will only be going up.  I’ll be adding in bad guy vehicles (BTRs, maybe a tank in OIF), VBIEDs, IEDs, etc…, in future campaigns.

We’ll see.

V/R,
    Jack

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

It seems clear to me that you’ve given the force weighting issue a lot of thought. Would it be possible to give the Taliban more troops but limit their number of activations so that they could only fully utilize their force on turns when a scurry or fire order came up? This would give the RMC’s more adversaries while not systematically overwhelming them with accurate small arms fire each turn. There would be the possibility of withering fire from the Taliban ranks but it would not be a reliable or predictable event.

I like the idea of occasional supporting vehicles and/or IED’s but you have stumped me with the phrase “tank in OIF”. What does OIF stand for? What about adding civilians to muddy up the ROE’s and force the RMC’s to be more circumspect in their application of fire? Hunting dickers and spotters in a crowd of civilians might be challenging.

Cheers and keep up the great work, Jack.

Rod Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

Don’t make it to tough Rod !!!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

OIF – Operation Iraqi Freedom?

Just Jack
    Participant

Rod,

“Would it be possible to give the Taliban more troops but limit their number of activations so that they could only fully utilize their force on turns when a scurry or fire order came up?”
    I’ll have to think on that; right now I’m using the 5MAK activation system, not the normal 5MIN activation system.  5MAK has every guy activate every turn (plus, for these modern games, I threw in the idea that they get to react as well as act each turn), while 5MIN allows you to activate about 1 out of every three guys each turn, and guys that didn’t activate can react.  I suppose I could run the RMs with 5MAK and the insurgents with 5MIN; that could be interesting, and would certainly allow the RMs to be much more efficient than the bad guys, and thereby put more bad guys on the board.  I’d just need to figure out how many more bad guys, as it’s still only a 2′ x 2′ board.

Civilians will be a bigger part of some of the future campaigns (probably after OIF), and yes, OIF is Operation Iraqi Freedom.

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

It’s now 0530 on 3 July 2002, thirteen days since the last fight, and the Royal Marines are on the hunt. It’s early morning twilight, still mostly dark, and soon the sun will rise, and contact is imminent.

While they believe Pasha Gul’s statement that the Merchant could be of use in identifying and finding their ambushers, Sherlock and the boys were a bit reticent about the Merchant’s wife claiming he was abducted by the Taliban at the same exact time the Royals were coming to pay him a visit. So the Section was doing it the hard way; lots of patrols out to meet with local informants, and to identify new ones. The constant patrolling and presence finally paid off; a local stated the Merchant had been spotted in a nearby village, and battalion was able to confirm this via SIGINT.

So the Section mounted out to the village, and thus began three days of constant patrolling, looking for the Merchant and consistently showing up five minutes after he’d just left. They tracked him through the mountains, and through Tamir Pass, but now they had him. The Section had called up support, and the rest of the platoon was brought forward. They formed a circle and began pushing in on the only area the Merchant could be; the only question was, who would find him first? The Section was sure they had him; he’s pinned up against the Neral River, with only two crossings within a few kilometers. The Section split up, with Sherlock taking some Marines north to a fordable spot, and Knocker taking the res towards a small bridge. The other two Sections of the platoon were on the opposite (west) side of the river, closing in on the ford and bridge.

Knocker’s team finally found them.

Overview, north is up. The river is at left (west), running north and south, while there are dirt roads crossing the bridge and running north-south. There is a small farmer’s compound just east of the bridge, an orchard just across the street, and the edge of Tamir Pass can be seen at right.

Yep, those are the new roads and rivers. To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/07/royals-in-parwan-fight-7.html

The battalion will soon be ending its deployment, returning to Jolly Olde England, and the Section absolutely wishes to see off their ambushers prior to going home, to get some modicum of retribution. How they’re going to do that is still a bit up in the air, however.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

All right !!! Poor Walt…..and no info !!!!!

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Jack:

An exciting battle and a good report. You killed Walt! Expect Legion 4 to be on your case for that on another forum! The terrain looks great, yes even the roads which are growing on me with time. Are they made from light-weight asphalt shingles and painted reddish-brown? So the RMC’s are going home soon, what’s going to replace them until they redeploy? Vietnam, Sgt. Rock, US Marines, KG Klink or dare I ask it Nappies?

Oh, and thanks to you I have just spent 117.00 pounds on more Taliban from Fireforce! I don’t need more Taliban damn it, but the minis and vehicles look too damned good. Curse you Jack for putting me onto them.

No cheers for you!

Rod “in the red” Robertson.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I need to buy rivers…..and maybe West Germans….

Just Jack
    Participant

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.  And it’s Wali, not Walt, you knuckleheads…

John – I do like those West Germans, looking good.  But I’m going to cut back, I’ve got too much stuff.  I’m actually going to sell off some of my stuff, so keep your eyes peeled if you’re interested in modern 15mm that is singly based.

Rod – The roads are either vinyl or canvas backed, very flimsy (not weak, I guess I mean flexible like rubber), and they’ve got large grit sand.  And you can’t blame me for your purchases, though I don’t know what you do with all those Taliban.  I need to buy some Tali-motorcycles though; the only ones I’ve seen are from Old Glory.  And I assume you mean Flytrap Factory, not Fireforce?  Regarding what’s next, I’m not sure…

I’ve got all kinds of stuff to finish for my USMC in Vietnam.
    I keep thinking about my 15mm ARVN in Vietnam, and they’re actually ready to go.
    I have some Doggies for Vietnam I need to paint, thinking of the movie “Platoon.”
    I hear my Japanese MGs are on the way, so my USMC in WWII might just start!
    I need to finish out Cronistria (Cuba Libre).
    I need to start “The Fall of South Leon” (Cuba Libre).
    I need to finish KG Klink’s Fall of France.
    I need to put more work into Operation Jupiter (I’ve played 8 or 9 out of 30 scenarios…).
    And I’ve got a wild new secret project I’m working on that everyone will just love.  Okay, maybe just me, but I’m very excited about it.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Woohoo !!! Secret Project !!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.