Home Forums Modern Royal Marines in Helmand Province, 15mm Batrep

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Jack:

Old Glory UK does not make Taliban Motorcycles as far as I can tell. It does however carry a separate line of Fireforce 15’s with Taliban on motorbikes among other things. As for why I need so many Taliban, I don’t but I have little self control! I’m weak.

http://www.oldgloryuk.com/fireforce15-irregulars-and-insurgents/54/226/547/565

As for Wali vs. Walt, I’m not a knucklehead, I’m just blind!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

I was going to say the same thing Kyote. Jacks;’ secret projects are always good, but when he goes from 2 projects to 10 in 6 months – Wow!

Participant

John – Yeah, only the cool guys get to know my secret project.  And I don’t know any cool guys 😉

Rod – We’re all knuckleheads, what makes you think you’re any different?  And I didn’t realize those were Fireforce, I just counted them as Old Glory.

Shaun – You’re alive!!!  And I accidentally left my Napoleonics off the list…

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

All,

It’s now 2030 on 17 July 2002, fourteen days since the last fight, and the Royal Marines have caught a break in their search for their “Black Friday” assailants of 24 May 2002. Having discovered the death of the her husband, the Merchant’s wife stumbled into one of 27 Commando’s patrol bases. Distraught and incoherent at times, she spilled her guts to the Royal Marines; her motivation was the fact the Taliban had killed her beloved husband, and no one present had a mind to disavow her of that notion. But she provided information not only on who the leader was, but where he was currently located, and what he was doing, which just happened to be a meeting with his senior Lieutenants to hash out plans to strike hard against the Royal Marines of 27 Commando prior to their redeployment home.

The entire platoon was dispatched, with two Sections taking up blocking positions to isolate the objective, while our Section was the assault force. But isolating the objective would prove quite problematic: the meeting of the Taliban commanders was happening in an urban area, a house on the outskirts of Kabul. The mission needs to take place right away; SIGINT and other HUMINT reporting has indicated the meeting will end at 2130 and the leaders will split up and return to their home bases. The reason for only a single platoon assigned to the task is partially one of transport; there is not enough lift available. Royal Marine Chinooks could carry more men, but are ill suited for the mission; for such a precise insertion the Royal Marines will be using three MH-60s from JSOTF (Joint Special Operations Task Force) at Bagram, of which only six are available for the mission.

So the two Sections taking up blocking positions will have a very difficult time blocking blocking to the west, where the target compound abuts the rest the city proper; necessarily the blocking Sections will be more concerned with keeping Taliban in Kabul from rushing to, reinforcing, the target compound, and less focus will be put on blocking escape from the target compound, where there are simply too many routes to cover. But the Platoon is ready; broken into sticks, they mount the helicopters and begin winging south to Kabul.

On an admin note, this will be the last fight for this campaign, “Royals in Parwan.” I’ve figured out that eight is about how many fights I can do before my interest turns to something else, so this is it for now. But I’m not leaving them forever; I plan on doing further blocks of eight games, following these guys to Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003, Back to Basra in maybe 2005 or 2006, Afghanistan in probably 2008 or 2009, over to Libya in 2011, maybe to Syria after that. We’ll see; in any case, stand by for a helluva fight!

Overview, north is up. The target compound is spread across the bottom left side of the board; in there is where the Taliban leaders will be meeting. The RMs will look to kill or capture everyone located here, but the top commander, the man that planned and led the Black Friday ambush, is the prize. The Marines must keep him from exiting the left (west) edge of the board, where he can simply disappear into the sprawl of Kabul.

I am running a die-driven clock to determine when the Taliban leader will begin his run for the board edge, and I am using a blind method to figure out which building he will start his run from.

Two Blackhawks zoom low over the city, spot their LZs, then flare. Ropes are pushed out, and the Royal Marines fast rope to the deck…

Their cargoes disgorged, the helos dip their noses and egress to the east. Sherlock’s stick is at bottom left, Knocker’s at top center, moving towards the target building.

The target is finally flushed…

With the Target at far left, Geeves (bottom center right) and Knocker (bottom right) both move up. Knocker yells, “don’t shoot him, get him alive!” To see what happened, please check the blog at:
    http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/07/royals-in-parwan-fight-8.html

So that was the last fight of their first deployment. Here’s a rollup of the eight fights:

Taliban: 49 KIA, 3 captured
    Royal Marines: 3 KIA, 4 WIA and medically discharged/retired, 1 WIA and retained for service but not fit for combat duty, and four other WIA that were able to stay with the unit.

More to come!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

A very good end and set up for the next campaign !!!

Participant

I am alive.  In the last month I have played four solo 20mm WW2 Operation Jupier games, and a co-op 20mm WW2 games with my 7yo son and 8yo daughter.  I have nearly written up all of the latter, and only have picture and notes for the other four so it may be awhile before you see those 🙁  Having too much fun with the family doing other non-gaming stuff.

Oh, I was not going to point out the *two* Napoleonic projects – the one you have played, and the one you have been collecting for ages 🙂

Participant

Kyote – Thanks man, and yeah, old Pasha Gul will make a good nemesis when the Royal Marines get back to Afghanistan.

Shaun – Sounds awesome man, can’t wait to see the batreps!  But what the hell is “non gaming fun”??? 😉
    And yeah, I guess the Napoleonics are two different projects: one interminably long painting session, and then the One Hour Wargames with the boy.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Jack:

Lively action and Knocker did quite a bit of knocking this time, once you called him out that is. So Pasha Gul becomes the RMC’s chief antagonist in Afghanistan. Good stuff. And if he finally does succumb to the Marines, his wicked son Panda Gaul can replace him cackling incoherently in a high-pitched, lilting Pashto brogue! Thanks for posting this report, I will miss the RMC’s as the butterfly of strife flits to a new flower.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Thanks Rod.  And regarding Panda, I see he keeps starting new threads on TMP, but he’s too uppity to post on any of my batreps 😉

And don’t worry, I’ll be getting to Napoleonics soon enough, just as you hoped.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Poor War Panda……..Oh nappies zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Participant

Quit whining about Naps!

You’ll take what I give ya, and like it! 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Now that I am old naps are golden….

Participant

Hee-hee! You guys crack me up. Gotta love the yenta-banter as you all kvetch with each other. At least I’m a crotchety old babushka, nyet?

Cheers and lots of Geritol.

Granny Robertson.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.