Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy RPG miniatrure sculpting WIP

Viewing 18 posts - 201 through 218 (of 218 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

These are brilliant little sculpts.  You really should get your own company going someday.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

@DSG
    Not anytime soon though. I’m affraid making a business out of a hobby will take the fun out of it.

With and without haori, shows what you can see in grey/gray and green.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Mike
    Keymaster

I’m affraid making a business out of a hobby will take the fun out of it.

Word.

Cacique Caribe
    Participant

@DSG Not anytime soon though. I’m affraid making a business out of a hobby will take the fun out of it. With and without haori, shows what you can see in grey/gray and green.

Yes, but think of how much of that lost fun will be shared among so many!

Think of the (grown up) children!  Why doesn’t anyone ever think of the (grown up) children?

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/with/72157710630529376

Thomaston
    Participant

It’s my fun! ALL MINE! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Porcuswine

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Cacique Caribe
    Participant

Wow, I like that little spikey fella.

PS.  By the way, those Japanese figures look absolutely incredible.  You really should making a few sets for production.  Seriously.  A Seven Samurai set would be a good start and a great seller.

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/with/72157710630529376

Thomaston
    Participant

@Cacique
    The quills turned out a lot more durable than I expected, but now I wish I made him more round for the cute factor.
    Samurais is a rabit hole. I’d be too tempted to add armored samurais and ashigary, mounted, various weapons, teppo.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

but now I wish I made him more round for the cute factor.

Maybe he isn’t supposed to be cute, but instead be scary.  I mean, I wouldn’t want that thing honking and snorting and mad at me!  Very well done sir!

Thomaston
    Participant

Thanks all.

@Cacique
    I checked out the link in your signature, and you got a lot of nice projects there. I like your terrain, the removable water feature. The giftcard shuttle gave me a few ideas. I’ve also thought about making a stonewall texture roller like you did but never went ahead and did it, it was nice to see how well it works. Finally, I really like that boat in post apoc pirates.

And now, taking a differnt turn.

Reaper miniature had this terrain piece, but its out of stock. Would have been great if I could get hold of one.
    Some pics of it on these blogs. Reaper website only has one lower-res image of it.
    Here, here, and here

I want one but thre isn’t one to be had. So I dug out my tub of FIMO and started working.

1. Made a base/armature out of card. I needed this because FIMO is a pain on its own. Put soe force on it and the whole thing warp, so it really need somekind of structure to anchor on. I covered it with greenstuff because Youtube tutorials that says I should, because FIMO doesn’t stick to things well. Considering all these limitations FIMO is really a hassel to work with, but I need it so I could work on the model for days instead of hours with greenstuff.

2. Put on the base layer of FIMO over the greenstuff. This was pretty thin and the FIMO mix I used was really sticky so I ended up applying it as is on the inside of the structure without a greenstuff base.

3. Put on the finaly working layer. Fixed the overall shape and allignment. One side of the wall slid out of position making life that little bit harder.

Bottom roll. Added details. I copied the patterns and cracks as best I could but ignored some of the archs becasue I wasn’t into that kind of stuff. I should have made card internal structure to the arch on the side as well but I forgot. It was quite difficult to work with arping in every direction.

I consider phase 1 done. Tomorrow, I’ll do the interior details and the upper floor. the ground floor I’d do last after its been baked. I’m planning to do the ground floor with greenstuff because I need to add a magnet to it and don’t think the magnet would survive the baking. The other pieces are straight forward compared to the main structure and should be pretty quick after this one is done.

Hindsight. My plan was to do the interior first so I can hold on to the outside all I want but I was too eager and went ahead and finished everything on the outside. So, I’m leaving it over night for the thing to sit and maybe stiffens a little before doing the inside.

Obviously this is scaled for 6mm and 3mm.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Cacique Caribe
    Participant

Thanks all. @Cacique I checked out the link in your signature, and you got a lot of nice projects there. I like your terrain, the removable water feature. The giftcard shuttle gave me a few ideas. I’ve also thought about making a stonewall texture roller like you did but never went ahead and did it, it was nice to see how well it works. Finally, I really like that boat in post apoc pirates.

You are much too kind.  I’m extremely flattered that you would look through my photo folders.  Quite a few of them are in fact simply proofs of concept*, and were never intended to go further than a mere testing phase.

But that doesn’t excuse having so many of the others left unfinished.  So I’ve resolved to go back and complete as many of them as possible this year … unless someone distracts me with yet another cool miniature project.  🙂

Keep up your amazing work.  I think your sculpts have incredible potential and could start you off on an excellent production venture.  I certainly hope so, as do many others here.

* Like the textured rollers that would imprint on foam and on Femo/Sculpey polymer clay surfaces.  If I may be so bold to point out … as far as I know, my textured rollers were some of the first (if not the very first) ever mentioned on miniature discussion sites.

Dan

Thomaston
    Participant

Color is kind of boring, Looks liek aquarium castle. I need to add something like vines and brushes.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

It’s coming along nicely though.  I’m sure once you get some of that extra detail stuff on it will come to real life.

Thomaston
    Participant

Thanks, but I’m already distracted by something else. This makes it 3 weeks in a roll of me starting something only to have interest shift.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Cacique Caribe
    Participant

Thanks, but I’m already distracted by something else. This makes it 3 weeks in a roll of me starting something only to have interest shift.

Focus, man, focus!

Who am I kidding.  I do the exact same thing.  My long trail of incomplete projects will be my only legacy.  🙂

Dan

Thomaston
    Participant

Finally, 3mm horse armatures.

Mounted versions of my foot characters, and some slightly dynamic horses.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Nice!

How are you going to reproduce the horse armatures?

Thomaston
    Participant

They’re 3D printed and I have the files, MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

There’s a few variations including without riders, butt it’s mainly the position of the head.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Thomaston
    Participant

More horses and some stuff for market scenes.

Tired is enough.
    R-rated narcissism

Viewing 18 posts - 201 through 218 (of 218 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.