Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy RPG miniatrure sculpting WIP

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 256 total)
  • Author
    Participant

These are brilliant little sculpts.  You really should get your own company going someday.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

@DSG
    Not anytime soon though. I’m affraid making a business out of a hobby will take the fun out of it.

With and without haori, shows what you can see in grey/gray and green.

Keymaster

I’m affraid making a business out of a hobby will take the fun out of it.

Word.

Participant

@DSG Not anytime soon though. I’m affraid making a business out of a hobby will take the fun out of it. With and without haori, shows what you can see in grey/gray and green.

Yes, but think of how much of that lost fun will be shared among so many!

Think of the (grown up) children!  Why doesn’t anyone ever think of the (grown up) children?

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

It’s my fun! ALL MINE! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Porcuswine

Participant

Wow, I like that little spikey fella.

PS.  By the way, those Japanese figures look absolutely incredible.  You really should making a few sets for production.  Seriously.  A Seven Samurai set would be a good start and a great seller.

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

@Cacique
    The quills turned out a lot more durable than I expected, but now I wish I made him more round for the cute factor.
    Samurais is a rabit hole. I’d be too tempted to add armored samurais and ashigary, mounted, various weapons, teppo.

Participant

but now I wish I made him more round for the cute factor.

Maybe he isn’t supposed to be cute, but instead be scary.  I mean, I wouldn’t want that thing honking and snorting and mad at me!  Very well done sir!

Thanks all.

@Cacique
    I checked out the link in your signature, and you got a lot of nice projects there. I like your terrain, the removable water feature. The giftcard shuttle gave me a few ideas. I’ve also thought about making a stonewall texture roller like you did but never went ahead and did it, it was nice to see how well it works. Finally, I really like that boat in post apoc pirates.

And now, taking a differnt turn.

Reaper miniature had this terrain piece, but its out of stock. Would have been great if I could get hold of one.
    Some pics of it on these blogs. Reaper website only has one lower-res image of it.
    Here, here, and here

I want one but thre isn’t one to be had. So I dug out my tub of FIMO and started working.

1. Made a base/armature out of card. I needed this because FIMO is a pain on its own. Put soe force on it and the whole thing warp, so it really need somekind of structure to anchor on. I covered it with greenstuff because Youtube tutorials that says I should, because FIMO doesn’t stick to things well. Considering all these limitations FIMO is really a hassel to work with, but I need it so I could work on the model for days instead of hours with greenstuff.

2. Put on the base layer of FIMO over the greenstuff. This was pretty thin and the FIMO mix I used was really sticky so I ended up applying it as is on the inside of the structure without a greenstuff base.

3. Put on the finaly working layer. Fixed the overall shape and allignment. One side of the wall slid out of position making life that little bit harder.

Bottom roll. Added details. I copied the patterns and cracks as best I could but ignored some of the archs becasue I wasn’t into that kind of stuff. I should have made card internal structure to the arch on the side as well but I forgot. It was quite difficult to work with arping in every direction.

I consider phase 1 done. Tomorrow, I’ll do the interior details and the upper floor. the ground floor I’d do last after its been baked. I’m planning to do the ground floor with greenstuff because I need to add a magnet to it and don’t think the magnet would survive the baking. The other pieces are straight forward compared to the main structure and should be pretty quick after this one is done.

Hindsight. My plan was to do the interior first so I can hold on to the outside all I want but I was too eager and went ahead and finished everything on the outside. So, I’m leaving it over night for the thing to sit and maybe stiffens a little before doing the inside.

Obviously this is scaled for 6mm and 3mm.

Participant

Thanks all. @Cacique I checked out the link in your signature, and you got a lot of nice projects there. I like your terrain, the removable water feature. The giftcard shuttle gave me a few ideas. I’ve also thought about making a stonewall texture roller like you did but never went ahead and did it, it was nice to see how well it works. Finally, I really like that boat in post apoc pirates.

You are much too kind.  I’m extremely flattered that you would look through my photo folders.  Quite a few of them are in fact simply proofs of concept*, and were never intended to go further than a mere testing phase.

But that doesn’t excuse having so many of the others left unfinished.  So I’ve resolved to go back and complete as many of them as possible this year … unless someone distracts me with yet another cool miniature project.  🙂

Keep up your amazing work.  I think your sculpts have incredible potential and could start you off on an excellent production venture.  I certainly hope so, as do many others here.

* Like the textured rollers that would imprint on foam and on Femo/Sculpey polymer clay surfaces.  If I may be so bold to point out … as far as I know, my textured rollers were some of the first (if not the very first) ever mentioned on miniature discussion sites.

Dan

Color is kind of boring, Looks liek aquarium castle. I need to add something like vines and brushes.

Participant

It’s coming along nicely though.  I’m sure once you get some of that extra detail stuff on it will come to real life.

Thanks, but I’m already distracted by something else. This makes it 3 weeks in a roll of me starting something only to have interest shift.

Participant

Thanks, but I’m already distracted by something else. This makes it 3 weeks in a roll of me starting something only to have interest shift.

Focus, man, focus!

Who am I kidding.  I do the exact same thing.  My long trail of incomplete projects will be my only legacy.  🙂

Dan

Finally, 3mm horse armatures.

Mounted versions of my foot characters, and some slightly dynamic horses.

Participant

Nice!

How are you going to reproduce the horse armatures?

They’re 3D printed and I have the files, MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

There’s a few variations including without riders, butt it’s mainly the position of the head.

More horses and some stuff for market scenes.

Something much bigger then usual, and not really sculpting but for RPG.

Mantics goblins, a mix of old and new plastic. I only realized today that the new plastic had 5 fingered hands while the old ones has 4 fingers. I’ll have to change the other 3 to 4 fingered hands as well.

Participant

Now that is interesting.  I wonder if the lower finger count was a deliberate design aesthetic decision, due to limited 3d ability, or maybe the dollies used for the new batch already had 5 fingers or what…?

Yeah, I wondered that as well. I’m thinking they’re supposed to have fewer fingers liek the older ones and the new ones were probably modified from human models. Some of the new minis even wore boots -_-‘

The newer minis are cleaner though, closer to GW quality, in pose and assembly too.

Took a lot of inspiration from the cmputer game ‘For Honor’.

Participant

Pretty amazing work, love the variety of poses.

Participant

I love those knights! Super cool! I can picture them now, swarming over the tower ruins…

Participant

Are these knights 3mm as well? Wow, you are a putty wizard. Your work truly is an inspiration and enticing me to try a 6mm and 3mm skirmish.

Care to share the STL files for those armatures? I am thinking about making travel versions (basically a game in round container) for SoBaH and 5 leagues from the Borderlands.

@Wouter
    They’re more like 4mm-4.5mm tall, especially the ones with great swords. Scale creep.

Participant

Wow, those are amazing little fellas! When are you going start selling these……?

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

@ian
    I did sell some 6mm Scifi goblins to DSG, but I don’t think they were value for money. Need to get into resin casting for these to be cheap enough to sell. I also prefer strange tiny scales (currently 2mm and 4mm) rather than the more mainstream ones making these too big or too small to fit with other range.

Recently I’ve been pursuing my ultimate dream, 1mm miniatures. Humans and orcs for Warmaster, but I haven’t gethered enough guts to paint it yet.

Participant

@Wouter They’re more like 4mm-4.5mm tall, especially the ones with great swords. Scale creep.

Perfect! I can always upscale to 6mm anyway.

1mm sounds like insanity, but seeing the units it actually makes sense too.

Participant

I did sell some 6mm Scifi goblins to DSG, but I don’t think they were value for money.

Those splendid little gobbos recently had an outing against some PDF which they fought to a stand-off.  You really should do sculpts for casting, your stuff has a lot of personality.

I think they would look a lot different if I had to make them with casting in mind.

Damit those littles guys didn’t manage a win?

Participant

I did sell some 6mm Scifi goblins to DSG, but I don’t think they were value for money.

Those splendid little gobbos recently had an outing against some PDF which they fought to a stand-off. You really should do sculpts for casting, your stuff has a lot of personality.

Would be great if you could post some pictures 😁.

Participant

Damit those littles guys didn’t manage a win?

They were making great headway but then a couple decided to loot rather than shoot which allowed the PDF to get to better positions, and stalemate ensued.  Had they kept pushing rather than getting distracted by shiny things it may have been different!

Would be great if you could post some pictures .

For sure next time, need to paint a lot more of my buildings so they aren’t an embarrassment!

Participant

I think they would look a lot different if I had to make them with casting in mind.

Naw, I don’t think so.  There are some really talented mold makers out there that can work wonders and make even the most awkward poses come out perfectly without the need to make the figures really flat like back in the 70’s and 80’s.

Sculpting diary

A little inspiration from mike’s 10mm fantasy thread. Decided to do 15mm rather than 28mm because I like to pretend I might use this in a game and I’m more likely to play 15mm games than 28mm. 28mm is still only the size of my thumb.

Day1

Carved out an armature. A little thicker than I’d like but at 15mm it’s going to be chunkier than the illustration. The knees in the illustration are a little low so I’ll change that a little, but looking back my sketch has the legs a little short. I’ll fix that by taking the shoulders down maybe 1mm-1.5mm. I can always extend the lower legs if the minis miraculously become underscale.

Since I’m using GW sprue to sculp this, doe this mean the miniature is partially official GW miniature?

Keymaster

Rapid.

Was that a figure on a sprue or just sprue?

Participant

Since I’m using GW sprue to sculp this, doe this mean the miniature is partially official GW miniature?

Yes – expect either a C&D or bill in the post

Nice start – very impressed by the reuse of a sprue.

Participant

Great use of an old sprue, very innovative. I can see how this speeds things up compared to using a wire frame.

GW will probably take a similar stance against this kind of heresy as it does to 3D printing, so prepare to be ignored and maybe even prosecuted.

Not seeing anything wrong with the length of the legs though, it looks more natural this way. Most people have legs which do not run up all the way to their shoulders.

Participant

You used a GW sprue!?!?  Now, you’ve gone and done it!  I hope you have a sharp attorney.  🙂

Dan

@Mike
    That’s the sprue carved into leg and torso with another piece glued on for the other leg. It’s for strength while sculpting.

The mini has got to at least be tornament legal, with at least 50% GW parts? Then again, its 15mm.

Day 2 Leg Day

Don’t know about other people but I always start with the legs. Its much easier to keep the miniature in scale that way. Whenever I work on torso or head first they either come out too big or too small and the mini suffers for it. Even now the mini looks like it’ll be 1mm-2mm taller than planned, I made the pants too low like the illustration even though I had planned not to -_-‘

Coincidentally, I ran out of Green Stuff yesterday so its a good time to move to Procreate gray. Blends pretty well with the sprue and much easier to see details. Still not as comfortable with it as I was with Green Stuff.

I was thinking of doing 10mm along with this, but realized 15mm is pretty small. 10mm is probably more like 6mm and needs a lot of abstraction.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 256 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.